Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two Installations of Ruby (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t840896-two-installations-of-ruby.html)

highlyjhi 05-22-2007 05:14 PM

Two Installations of Ruby

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.9 with Ruby 1.8.2 installed by default. I
updated to 1.8.6 but I installed it in /Users/jeremy/bin instead of
the default /usr/bin/ So when I go to "ruby -v" it still says 1.8.2.
How do i either move ruby into the correct directory or how do I
change the path to ruby to the new directory? I'd prefer to move
1.8.6 to a different spot outside of my home directory.

Thanks,
Jer

highlyjhi 05-22-2007 06:11 PM

Re: Two Installations of Ruby

Great! But when I close Terminal it's back to the default. How do I
keep this way?

Sebastian Hungerecker 05-22-2007 06:38 PM

Fred Phillips wrote:
> Ah right, forgot about that. edit your ~/bashrc file to read:
>
> PATH=PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH

Two things: a) It'd have to be export PATH=/Users/jeremy/bin:$PATH
b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

HTH,
Sebastian
--
Ist so, weil ist so
Bleibt so, weil war so

Gregory Brown 05-22-2007 06:41 PM

On 5/22/07, Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k@googlemail.com> wrote:

> b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
> ~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Sebastian Hungerecker 05-22-2007 07:04 PM

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > b) bash isn't the default shell on OSX, so he'd have to put it into the
> > ~/.tcshrc or whatever shell he's using.

> Um... Maybe in 10.1 or 10.2, but it's been default 10.3 on up, IIRC

Oh, my knowledge must be out of date then. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

--
Ist so, weil ist so
Bleibt so, weil war so

highlyjhi 05-22-2007 08:45 PM

Re: Two Installations of Ruby

Is it possible to install the new version of Ruby over the old on OS X?

Tim Hunter 05-22-2007 09:52 PM

highlyjhi wrote:
> Is it possible to install the new version of Ruby over the old on OS X?

Yes, but you probably don't want to.

If you let the ./configure script use the default --prefix, Ruby will
get installed in /usr/local. Then all you have to do is add /usr/local
to your PATH in your ~/.profile file in front of the default PATH, like
this:

export PATH=/usr/local:$PATH

You can read about PATH and .profile by entering

man bash

in a Terminal window, or just Google it.

--
RMagick [http://rmagick.rubyforge.org]
RMagick Installation FAQ [http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html]