Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question about using ruby and gtk to make an app (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t839346-question-about-using-ruby-and-gtk-to-make-an-app.html)

David Torres 03-25-2007 08:15 PM

Question about using ruby and gtk to make an app

I have a question about using ruby and ruby-gtk2. I have a simple gui
and am using SourceView as my text buffer and have added a menu to open
and save files. My question is how in the world to I open a file and
display it within my buffer?

so far my open method is:

callback_open = Proc.new {
p "Open is called."
dialog = FileChooserDialog.new("Open File",nil,
FileChooser::ACTION_OPEN,nil,
[Stock::CANCEL,Dialog::RESPONSE_CANCEL],
[Stock::OPEN,Dialog::RESPONSE_ACCEPT])
if dialog.run == Dialog::RESPONSE_ACCEPT
@filename = #{dialog.filename}
file = File.open(@filename)

}

after the file variable line I have tried different things to actually
add the text to the buffer but none seem to work. I checked the API but
I'm not sure if their is a TextBuffer method that I can use to read in
the file line by line.

Any help would be appreciated.

David Torres

Demetrius Gallitzin 03-26-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Question about using ruby and gtk to make an app

Chapter 2: GUI Toolkits for Ruby
http://www.syngress.com/book_catalog...uby/sample.htm

This is a long but good free sample chapter from the _Ruby Developer's Guide_.

The section on "Using the Glade GUI Builder" (gtk) is nice, but I wish
maybe for one or two more full examples of it. I think glade or
glade-type tools can have a big impact by keeping the GUI and your
application as interchangeable parts. It is also multi-platform.

Author: Michael Neumann
ISBN: 1928994644
Syngress.com
January 18, 2002
New Price: $29.95 (The free sample chapter is a mini-book on GUI toolkits)