Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is ruby a viable corporate alternative? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t835865-is-ruby-a-viable-corporate-alternative.html)

Mr P 11-28-2006 04:17 PM

Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

Our team uses Perl for almost 100% of our projects, as we have for the
past 10 year or so. At that point we broke from the C/C++ herd and
never looked back. Our productivity has been the best in the
corporation since, and we hear nothing but complaints and bad-mouthing
from the Java/C++ cadre since their design and implementations are
typically 5-10X what ours are..

Anyhow- as the team director, I'm always *looking ahead*. Although Perl
is still serving us well, I'm thinking for the benefit of our
developers ( to get more languages in their personal toolkit ) as well
as making productivity improvements through OO design and the ruby
environment, I'm starting to talk up and promote Ruby as the NEXT
language.

This REALLY set off a firestorm from the Java folks, They are already
they are trying to undermine us with comments like:

o you'll never find any developers to support it, there are almost none
in the USA

o you won't like anything that comes out of Japan (this comment from a
country that was conquered by Japan and still harbors a lot of
resentment, so I sort of discounted that comment! )

o its not gaining popularity and will probably die out

o might as well just use Java

.... and so on..

Anyhow, if you all can provide me with websites on Ruby stats vis-a-vis
other languages, trends, successes, etc., I'd like to go into this
battle armed! The break from the herd 10 years ago was very
productive, and my impression is that Ruby would have similar results.

Tom Copeland 11-28-2006 04:27 PM

Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

> Anyhow, if you all can provide me with websites on Ruby stats
> vis-a-vis other languages, trends, successes, etc., I'd like
> to go into this battle armed! The break from the herd 10
> years ago was very productive, and my impression is that Ruby
> would have similar results.

The TIOBE stats are always interesting, and they show Ruby moving up:

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Yours,

Tom

Jules 11-28-2006 04:28 PM

Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

Maybe you could do a match: one group uses Ruby other group uses Java
and see who gets it's program finished first. Could be fun if you have
time for this :P

Jules

Robert Klemme 11-28-2006 04:35 PM

On 28.11.2006 17:17, Mr P wrote:
> Our team uses Perl for almost 100% of our projects, as we have for the
> past 10 year or so. At that point we broke from the C/C++ herd and
> never looked back. Our productivity has been the best in the
> corporation since, and we hear nothing but complaints and bad-mouthing
> from the Java/C++ cadre since their design and implementations are
> typically 5-10X what ours are..

:-))

> Anyhow- as the team director, I'm always *looking ahead*. Although Perl
> is still serving us well, I'm thinking for the benefit of our
> developers ( to get more languages in their personal toolkit ) as well
> as making productivity improvements through OO design and the ruby
> environment, I'm starting to talk up and promote Ruby as the NEXT
> language.
>
> This REALLY set off a firestorm from the Java folks, They are already
> they are trying to undermine us with comments like:

Maybe they are sensing that they are behind the Perk camp already and
fear looking even worse compared to a well trained Ruby group. Or will
they be forced to learn Ruby, too?

> o you'll never find any developers to support it, there are almost none
> in the USA

I believe this is nonsense although I do not have statistics to prove
it. From reading here I would guess though that there are plenty out
there - and increasing.

> o you won't like anything that comes out of Japan (this comment from a
> country that was conquered by Japan and still harbors a lot of
> resentment, so I sort of discounted that comment! )

Yeah, complete rubbish!

> o its not gaining popularity and will probably die out

Actually traffic in this group has significantly increased over the past
years and RoR is only adding to the momentum. Maybe do a search on any
of the archives for a month these days and two years ago. I'd expect to
see a significant raise.

> o might as well just use Java

Um, I don't know what you are actually doing but as a general statement
this is rather meek. You can be quite productive with Java if you have
a decent IDE (which can be obtained for free) but you are likely more
productive with Ruby (assuming similar training and expertise). Java
has certainly an edge for performance critical tasks.

Ironically there are activities going on to make Ruby execute on a JVM -
so they could actually have the best of both worlds. :-)

> ... and so on..
>
> Anyhow, if you all can provide me with websites on Ruby stats vis-a-vis
> other languages, trends, successes, etc., I'd like to go into this
> battle armed! The break from the herd 10 years ago was very
> productive, and my impression is that Ruby would have similar results.

Someone posted a link to a site that shows programming language
popularity statistics some weeks ago. Maybe you can dig that up again.

Good luck! If they don't believe you send them here. :-)

Kind regards

robert

Rob Biedenharn 11-28-2006 04:43 PM

On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Mr P wrote:

> Our team uses Perl for almost 100% of our projects, as we have for the
> past 10 year or so. At that point we broke from the C/C++ herd and
> never looked back. Our productivity has been the best in the
> corporation since, and we hear nothing but complaints and bad-mouthing
> from the Java/C++ cadre since their design and implementations are
> typically 5-10X what ours are..
>
> Anyhow- as the team director, I'm always *looking ahead*. Although
> Perl
> is still serving us well, I'm thinking for the benefit of our
> developers ( to get more languages in their personal toolkit ) as well
> as making productivity improvements through OO design and the ruby
> environment, I'm starting to talk up and promote Ruby as the NEXT
> language.
>
> This REALLY set off a firestorm from the Java folks, They are already
> they are trying to undermine us with comments like:
>
> o you'll never find any developers to support it, there are almost
> none
> in the USA

I'd point to the 300+ that actually made it out to the RubyConf in
Denver as just an example of how silly this argument is (and how many
are subscribed to this list as another...)

> o you won't like anything that comes out of Japan (this comment from a
> country that was conquered by Japan and still harbors a lot of
> resentment, so I sort of discounted that comment! )
>
> o its not gaining popularity and will probably die out

HA!

> o might as well just use Java

It has been commented (at least quoted by someone at RubyConf) that
there is a surprisingly small overlap between the libraries available
for Java and for Ruby -- they have tended to be used to solve
different problems. Depending on the problem space, you might
propose a contest between Ruby and Java. If you would have used
Perl, then you can certainly use Ruby (there's even a close match in
command-line options on the interpreter between these two). I've
used Perl for many years and quite heavily the past 16months, I've
been using Ruby mainly in the context of Rails, but have been
'forcing' myself to use Ruby for the same kind of "little" tasks that
I used for my introduction to Perl years ago. (Except this time I'm
replacing Perl most of the time instead of awk/grep/sed.)

> ... and so on..
>
> Anyhow, if you all can provide me with websites on Ruby stats vis-a-
> vis
> other languages, trends, successes, etc., I'd like to go into this
> battle armed! The break from the herd 10 years ago was very
> productive, and my impression is that Ruby would have similar results.

If your team accepts Perl, there's no reason that you couldn't start
using Ruby right away. Assuming that the team understands object-
oriented programming (even the way it's done in Perl ;-), the
transition should be an easy one.

-Rob

Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

pat eyler 11-28-2006 04:44 PM

Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

On 11/28/06, Mr P <MisterPerl@gmail.com> wrote:
[background deleted]

> This REALLY set off a firestorm from the Java folks, They are already
> they are trying to undermine us with comments like:

I'm not going to tell you that Ruby *is* the right language for you, you're
far better prepared to make that determination. If Perl fits your needs
well, I think Ruby is likely to be a good fit and a positive move -- but
that's just my experience.

> o you'll never find any developers to support it, there are almost none
> in the USA

I'm not sure where you are, but:
Seattle.rb has 100+ subscribers on the mailing list. Amazon is using
Ruby internally, and many other local companies are too.
URUG (the umbrella group for Utah based Ruby brigades), has three
active groups and a fourth forming. The active groups have a regular
attendance of 10+per month each. We regularly get recruiters to sponsor
meetings and there are frequent posts to out mailing list looking for more
Ruby and RoR hackers (from a number of companies).
NYC.rb has a regular monthly attendance of over 40 and is working
to put together a regional conference in the Spring.
There are active Ruby groups in Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, New Haven,
Boston, San Diego, Missoula, Boise, St. Louise, Portland, Minneapolis,
Columbus, Washington D.C., Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, and many more.
The Ruby book market in the US is exploding. There are *eight* books
that I know of that are do to be published between now and the end of
Q1 2007 -- and this is on top of the already large collection.

> o you won't like anything that comes out of Japan (this comment from a
> country that was conquered by Japan and still harbors a lot of
> resentment, so I sort of discounted that comment! )

This isn't even worth responding too.

> o its not gaining popularity and will probably die out

Ha! see the books comment above. Add to it the numbers that Tim
O'Reilly throws out every quarter on the Radar O'Reilly blog. Check out
TIOBE (as Tom Copland mentioned). The One Click Installer has gone
over 1 million downloads. Ruby is gaining momentum, and quickly!

> o might as well just use Java

A number of Java folks are turning to Ruby as a great tool. Sun is
helping put Ruby on the JVM (and paying to full-time engineers to
do so). Saying you might as well use Java is kind of like driving
an RV to do your shopping instead of taking the family car. It'll work,
but it's overkill (and a huge waste of resources).

> ... and so on..

. . and so on. ;^)

> Anyhow, if you all can provide me with websites on Ruby stats vis-a-vis
> other languages, trends, successes, etc., I'd like to go into this
> battle armed! The break from the herd 10 years ago was very
> productive, and my impression is that Ruby would have similar results.

If Dynamic Languages fit your problem space, Ruby can be a wonderful
tool for you -- and it's a cool community to belong to.

--
thanks,
-pate

Dave Rose 11-28-2006 04:50 PM

Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

...i realy recommend you read 'from jave to ruby' by bruce tate...and
come to the erubyconf in columbus,ohio..to meet him and discuss your
situation with bruce..registartion is this fri 12/1/2006..in our small
shop we started very small..and are now tackling bigger jobs as we have
more success....

Sammy Larbi 11-28-2006 04:57 PM

Jules wrote, On 11/28/2006 10:30 AM:
> Maybe you could do a match: one group uses Ruby other group uses Java
> and see who gets it's program finished first. Could be fun if you have
> time for this :P
>
> Jules

Except for the folks using Java. =)

Li Chen 11-28-2006 06:06 PM

Re: Is ruby a viable corporate alternative?

> NYC.rb has a regular monthly attendance of over 40 and is working
> to put together a regional conference in the Spring.
> There are active Ruby groups in Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, New Haven,
> Boston, San Diego, Missoula, Boise, St. Louise, Portland, Minneapolis,
> Columbus,

What is the name for the one in Columbus?

Li

pat eyler 11-28-2006 06:14 PM

On 11/28/06, Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > NYC.rb has a regular monthly attendance of over 40 and is working
> > to put together a regional conference in the Spring.
> > There are active Ruby groups in Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, New Haven,
> > Boston, San Diego, Missoula, Boise, St. Louise, Portland, Minneapolis,
> > Columbus,

> What is the name for the one in Columbus?

the columbus.rb
http://www.columbusrb.com/

> Li

thanks,