Velocity Reviews

-   -   New! ObjectiveView Issue 9 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t833837-new-objectiveview-issue-9-a.html)

zoat 09-25-2006 07:57 AM

New! ObjectiveView Issue 9

Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal has
a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and Ruby on
Rails.
http://www.ratio.co.uk/objectiveview.html
http://www.ratio.co.uk/ov9pdf.pdf

William Crawford 09-25-2006 12:27 PM

Re: New! ObjectiveView Issue 9

zoat wrote:
> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal has

I'm not trying to troll, but calling something 'highly respected' while
advertising it has exactly the opposite effect of what you intend.

As for the issue... Yellow and orange? I think my eyes are bleeding.
The orange quotes with small bold type are hard to read (until you get
to 200% magnification), and the yellow borders constantly draw my eyes
away from the text into their staring yellow-ness.

The mass of advertisements taking up most of the cover page also scream
'I'm in it for the money!'

It also seems to be heavily biased towards Extreme Programming. While I
love the idea of XP and some of its techniques are a lifesaver for me, I
have a hard time believing that 'the one true way' exists and is
'extreme.' As with everything else, moderation is the key to success.

In short: They're scaring off a lot of people before the magazine even
gets read.

Thomas Adam 09-25-2006 12:46 PM

Re: New! ObjectiveView Issue 9

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
"zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
> has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
> Ruby on Rails.
> http://www.ratio.co.uk/objectiveview.html
> http://www.ratio.co.uk/ov9pdf.pdf

I won't reiterate the comments posted by William Crawford, but what I
will say is definitely *heed* them. I agree with everything he has
said.

As for the issue, it was the first time I had read it, and I quite
liked it. I have often been interested in extreme/pair programming, so
it was nice to see some applications of its use.

As for the Ruby side of things, note that the article by Amy Hoy
contains on or two deprecated uses within Ruby that ought not to have
been allowed to propagate through. (c.f. ''foo.type'' should be
''foo.class''). Was she writing that article based on Ruby 1.6.X?
Still, that aside, it ought to give your readership a little bit of an
idea about Ruby.

Was that the sort of feedback you were after, if any, I might add?

-- Thomas Adam

Jan Svitok 09-25-2006 01:03 PM

On 9/25/06, Thomas Adam <thomas.adam22@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
> "zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
> > has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
> > Ruby on Rails.
> > http://www.ratio.co.uk/objectiveview.html
> > http://www.ratio.co.uk/ov9pdf.pdf

> I won't reiterate the comments posted by William Crawford, but what I
> will say is definitely *heed* them. I agree with everything he has
> said.
>
> As for the issue, it was the first time I had read it, and I quite
> liked it. I have often been interested in extreme/pair programming, so
> it was nice to see some applications of its use.
>
> As for the Ruby side of things, note that the article by Amy Hoy
> contains on or two deprecated uses within Ruby that ought not to have
> been allowed to propagate through. (c.f. ''foo.type'' should be
> ''foo.class''). Was she writing that article based on Ruby 1.6.X?
> Still, that aside, it ought to give your readership a little bit of an
> idea about Ruby.
>
> Was that the sort of feedback you were after, if any, I might add?

None. It seems to be a bot.

Paul Lynch 09-25-2006 01:06 PM

On 25 Sep 2006, at 13:46, Thomas Adam wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
> "zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
>> has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
>> Ruby on Rails.

> Was that the sort of feedback you were after, if any, I might add?

I am wondering - why are people talking to a spambot? (Check the
posting history for zoat for confirmation).

Paul

James Edward Gray II 09-25-2006 01:30 PM

On Sep 25, 2006, at 7:46 AM, Thomas Adam wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
> "zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
>> has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
>> Ruby on Rails.
>> http://www.ratio.co.uk/objectiveview.html
>> http://www.ratio.co.uk/ov9pdf.pdf

This is very old news. I'm not sure when the issue was released but
the "Welcome to Issue 9" page has a February 2006 date at the bottom.

> As for the Ruby side of things, note that the article by Amy Hoy
> contains on or two deprecated uses within Ruby that ought not to have
> been allowed to propagate through. (c.f. ''foo.type'' should be
> ''foo.class''). Was she writing that article based on Ruby 1.6.X?
> Still, that aside, it ought to give your readership a little bit of an
> idea about Ruby.

Yes, I sent Amy a list of suggested improvements when the article was
originally published. I'm pretty sure she intended to post
corrections on her blog, but I don't believe she ever got around to it:

http://www.slash7.com/articles/2006/...e-view-of-ruby

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II 09-25-2006 01:32 PM

On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:06 AM, Paul Lynch wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2006, at 13:46, Thomas Adam wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
>> "zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
>>> has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
>>> Ruby on Rails.

>> Was that the sort of feedback you were after, if any, I might add?

> I am wondering - why are people talking to a spambot? (Check the
> posting history for zoat for confirmation).

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....a068913ce02cef

James Edward Gray II

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky 09-25-2006 01:34 PM

Paul Lynch wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2006, at 13:46, Thomas Adam wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:00:13 +0900
>> "zoat" <enogrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Issue #9 of ObjectiveView [pdf], a highly respected on-line journal
>>> has a sort of Ruby Special: lots of articles devoted to Ruby, and
>>> Ruby on Rails.

>> Was that the sort of feedback you were after, if any, I might add?

> I am wondering - why are people talking to a spambot? (Check the
> posting history for zoat for confirmation).
>
> Paul

And *I* am wondering how a spambot got to be a "member" of our "club".

William Crawford 09-25-2006 02:08 PM

Paul Lynch wrote:
> I am wondering - why are people talking to a spambot? (Check the
> posting history for zoat for confirmation).
>
> Paul

Because... I... Um...

Okay, it fooled me. -sigh-

100.times { puts "I will not talk to spambots." }