Velocity Reviews

-   -   Reasonably priced C11 standard? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t831355-reasonably-priced-c11-standard.html)

Keith Thompson 01-25-2012 08:53 PM

Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Years ago, I bought a PDF copy of the ISO C90 standard from ansi.org
for $18. I later bought a PDF copy of the C99 standard for either
$18 or $30

Now when I look on webstore.ansi.org, the C99 standard is still
available for $30, but they want $285 for ISO/IEC 9899:2011.

iso.org is charging CHF 238, which is about $255 US at current
exchange rates.

Apparently ANSI had a policy of selling the C99 standard at a
reasonable price. Why does that policy not apply to the C11
standard? Is any other organization selling (legal!) copies of
C11 at a lower price?

(The same thing seems to be happening with the ISO C++ standard.)

Will write code for food.

Keith Thompson 01-25-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org> writes:
[snip]

Sorry, I meant to post that to comp.std.c. I'll repost there.

Will write code for food.

jacob navia 01-26-2012 10:53 PM

Le 25/01/12 21:53, Keith Thompson a écrit :

> Apparently ANSI had a policy of selling the C99 standard at a
> reasonable price. Why does that policy not apply to the C11
> standard? Is any other organization selling (legal!) copies of
> C11 at a lower price?

That would be risky. If the price was low, many people could read that
stuff.

:-)

paolo 02-02-2012 08:03 PM

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:53:54 -0800, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Years ago, I bought a PDF copy of the ISO C90 standard from ansi.org for
> $18. I later bought a PDF copy of the C99 standard for either $18 or
> $30
>
> Now when I look on webstore.ansi.org, the C99 standard is still
> available for $30, but they want $285 for ISO/IEC 9899:2011.
>
> iso.org is charging CHF 238, which is about $255 US at current exchange
> rates.
>
> Apparently ANSI had a policy of selling the C99 standard at a reasonable
> price. Why does that policy not apply to the C11 standard? Is any
> other organization selling (legal!) copies of C11 at a lower price?
>
> (The same thing seems to be happening with the ISO C++ standard.)

Just be patient, it will be on the torrents in a couple of weeks.

James Kuyper 02-02-2012 08:22 PM

On 02/02/2012 03:03 PM, paolo wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:53:54 -0800, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> Years ago, I bought a PDF copy of the ISO C90 standard from ansi.org for
>> $18. I later bought a PDF copy of the C99 standard for either $18 or
>> $30
>>
>> Now when I look on webstore.ansi.org, the C99 standard is still
>> available for $30, but they want $285 for ISO/IEC 9899:2011.
>>
>> iso.org is charging CHF 238, which is about $255 US at current exchange
>> rates.
>>
>> Apparently ANSI had a policy of selling the C99 standard at a reasonable
>> price. Why does that policy not apply to the C11 standard? Is any
>> other organization selling (legal!) copies of C11 at a lower price?
>>
>> (The same thing seems to be happening with the ISO C++ standard.)

> Just be patient, it will be on the torrents in a couple of weeks.

He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

Rich Webb 02-02-2012 09:27 PM

Re: Reasonably priced C11 standard?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:53:54 -0800, Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org>
wrote:

>Years ago, I bought a PDF copy of the ISO C90 standard from ansi.org
>for $18. I later bought a PDF copy of the C99 standard for either
>$18 or $30
>
>Now when I look on webstore.ansi.org, the C99 standard is still
>available for $30, but they want $285 for ISO/IEC 9899:2011.
>
>iso.org is charging CHF 238, which is about $255 US at current
>exchange rates.
>
>Apparently ANSI had a policy of selling the C99 standard at a
>reasonable price. Why does that policy not apply to the C11
>standard? Is any other organization selling (legal!) copies of
>C11 at a lower price?
>
>(The same thing seems to be happening with the ISO C++ standard.)

The price seems to change based on an algorithm that accounts for the
flow in the Héraðsvötn, the price of beef in Cochabamba, and the annual
rainfall total in Darwin.

I picked up a PDF copy of C99 from INCITS http://www.incits.org/ a
couple of years ago for only $30 and now they want $220 and only the
printed version is available there while, as you note, ANSI still offers
a $30 PDF. Sheesh...

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

jacob navia 02-03-2012 12:48 AM

Le 02/02/12 22:27, Rich Webb a écrit :
> I picked up a PDF copy of C99 from INCITS http://www.incits.org/ a
> couple of years ago for only $30 and now they want $220 and only the
> printed version is available there while, as you note, ANSI still offers
> a $30 PDF. Sheesh...

Note that the The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-4A Boxed Set
[Hardcover] costs only 200 US$. That puts that ridiculous price in
perspective.

Fritz Wuehler 02-03-2012 10:35 AM

Re: Reasonably priced C11 standard?

> He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

Well that's a fine point. It will be a *copy* of a legal copy. Will that
work for you? Works for me! ;-)

Walter Banks 02-03-2012 01:24 PM

Fritz Wuehler wrote:

> > He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

> Well that's a fine point. It will be a *copy* of a legal copy. Will that
> work for you? Works for me! ;-)

No it doesn't work for me :(.

lawrence.jones@siemens.com 02-03-2012 04:45 PM

jacob navia <jacob@spamsink.net> wrote:

> Note that the The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-4A Boxed Set
> [Hardcover] costs only 200 US$. That puts that ridiculous price in
> perspective.

Commercial books pricing has very little in common with standards
pricing. Standards are priced solely based on page count with no
consideration of potential sales. The average standard probably doesn't
sell more than a dozen copies. If TAOCP only sold a dozen copies, it
wouldn't be $200, either.

INCITS understands that the potential market for computer language
standards is much larger than that for other standards, particularly if
priced reasonably. Since the production and distribution cost of an
electronic document is essentially nil, they figured they'd make a lot
more money selling them cheaply than expensively, which is what they've
been doing. As far as I know, it's worked out even better than they'd
hoped.
--
Larry Jones

I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts. -- Calvin