Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fast Ruby Debugger? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t827698-fast-ruby-debugger.html)

Joseph Moore 01-11-2006 04:57 PM

Fast Ruby Debugger?

------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666

Hi all --

I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail it to
ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:

After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.
Using RDT in Eclipse is fine but it's excruciating to wait minutes for the
default debugger to finally reach my breakpoints on tests that normally tak=
seconds to run.

Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in a faste=
version?

I've tried to profile debug.rb by adding "require 'profile'" to it but all
of the time shows up in the "#toplevel" element, so advice on deconstructin=
that into something meaningful would be great, too.

Thanks,

-- Joe

------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666--

Christer Nilsson 01-11-2006 05:02 PM

Re: Fast Ruby Debugger?

Check out ArachnoRuby!

Christer

Ryan Davis 01-11-2006 06:23 PM

Re: Fast Ruby Debugger?

On Jan 11, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Joseph Moore wrote:

> I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail
> it to
> ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:
> [...]
> Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in
> a faster
> version?

said ruby-core mail also told you to check out zendebug in ZenHacks.

--
ryand-ruby@zenspider.com - Seattle.rb - http://www.zenspider.com/
seattle.rb

Curt Hibbs 01-11-2006 06:40 PM

Re: Fast Ruby Debugger?

On 1/11/06, Christer Nilsson <janchrister.nilsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out ArachnoRuby!

Yes, ArachnoRuby is currently the fastest graphical debugger for Ruby.

Curt

Stephen Kellett 01-11-2006 09:11 PM

Re: Fast Ruby Debugger?

In message
<3ffb4dc30601110856n4bd579bbgc1a8d8c751278022@mail .gmail.com>, Joseph
Moore <joe.moore@gmail.com> writes
>After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
>debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
>debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.

For a debugger you should check ArachnoRuby at
http://www.scriptolutions.com

Since you show interest in seeing various values at runtime you may also
be interested in a flow tracer. If you are also interested in a flow
tracer you may want to look at Ruby Bug Validator at
http://www.softwareverify.com

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett