Velocity Reviews

-   -   A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t824610-a-question-about-intelligent-systems-and-using-ruby.html)

Daniel Lewis 09-22-2005 08:44 AM

A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
he had written in his preface.

In his preface he wrote:
"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
mathematics."

So I asked Dave:
"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
email addresses that I can go-to/email?"

and he said:
"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."

and so here I am.

So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
out there.

Thank you to anyone that can help,

Daniel Lewis.
* Ruby Programmer
* Fuzzy Theorist
* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
* Part time website developer
* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)

Josh Charles 09-22-2005 02:03 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
for learning basic AI in ruby?

Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

Josh

Daniel Lewis 09-22-2005 02:08 PM

On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <josh.charles@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
> for learning basic AI in ruby?
>
> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.

I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

Ara.T.Howard 09-22-2005 03:05 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

> Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
> Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
> he had written in his preface.
>
> In his preface he wrote:
> "People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
> programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
> natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
> mathematics."
>
> So I asked Dave:
> "Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
> email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
>
> and he said:
> "Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
> find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
>
> and so here I am.
>
> So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
> reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
> am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
> my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
> Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
> looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
> out there.
>
> Thank you to anyone that can help,

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr....estingProjects

hth.

-a

Ara.T.Howard 09-22-2005 03:08 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

> On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <josh.charles@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
>> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
>> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
>> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
>> for learning basic AI in ruby?
>>
>> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

> Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
> to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
> with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
> C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.
>
> I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
> graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.

you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this

http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/peop...werf_joel.html
http://www.path.berkeley.edu/

cheers.

-a

Shashank Date 09-22-2005 03:12 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

Hi,

--- "Ara.T.Howard" <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov> wrote:

> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
> http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
> http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/
>=20
> http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr....estingProjects

and if you are interested in NLP:

http://www.geocities.com/ben_bongalon/rubycon/

HTH,
-- shanko

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20

Edward Faulkner 09-22-2005 03:48 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

I'd suggest you find a good introduction to AI techniques, and then
worry about implementing them in Ruby. Here's a fairly basic survey
of the field:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical...ings/index.htm

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--

Phil Tomson 09-22-2005 05:07 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

In article <9b84274f05092201447b1ee154@mail.gmail.com>,
Daniel Lewis <danieljohnlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
>Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
>he had written in his preface.
>
>In his preface he wrote:
>"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
>programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
>natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
>mathematics."
>
>So I asked Dave:
>"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
>email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
>
>and he said:
>"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
>find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
>
>and so here I am.
>
>So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
>reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
>am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
>my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
>Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
>looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
>out there.
>
>Thank you to anyone that can help,
>
>Daniel Lewis.
>* Ruby Programmer
>* Fuzzy Theorist
>* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
>* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
>* Part time website developer
>* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)

I haven't done any Fuzzy Logic, but I have used Ruby to develop genetic
algorithms, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Ant Colony Optimization and now
Particle Swarm Optimization.

You should also check the Sciruby site. (sorry don't have the URL handy, but
google should find it)

Phil

Phil Tomson 09-22-2005 05:09 PM

Re: A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

In article <d0fd5d6105092207032d137795@mail.gmail.com>,
Josh Charles <josh.charles@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
>looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
>it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
>knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
>for learning basic AI in ruby?

What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or maybe I
should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

Phil

Josh Charles 09-22-2005 05:59 PM

On 9/22/05, Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:
> What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb=

e I
> should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
not.

It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
"ardvark." is that considered AI?

It is such things, I believe, that really create a good web browsing
experience. The software I'm working on is going to be used by mainly
non-technical small business owners, so it needds to be as friendly as
possible.

On a side note, this project will be a combination of .NET and Ruby,
and I do not yet know which language the AI component will be written
in, if it is indeed AI that I will be using.