Velocity Reviews

-   -   [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t823230-survey-ruby-in-embedded-applications.html)

treefrog 07-28-2005 07:20 AM

[SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

Hi folks,
I'm interested in finding out how widespread the use of Ruby is in
embedded applications. Perhaps you do development for a jukebox
manufacturer who uses Ruby to handle playlists, billing etc. with a C
library doing all the driver stuff :-)

So, if you do embedded development (or work with people who do) I'd be
interested in:
1. Do you use Ruby in embedded applications.
2. If not do you use use Perl or Python instead (why?)
3. Would you use Ruby if "they" let you?

Best regards,

treefrog

Keith Nicholas 07-28-2005 08:14 AM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

We use uCLinux....which there is a python port for....But no ruby port
that I know of....If there was a ruby port we'd probablly use it.=20
Mainly, of course, we use C++.

Thomas Sondergaard 07-28-2005 08:25 AM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

I took a look at embedding ruby but went with mozilla's
javascript-engine called spidermonkey instead because

* Spidermonkey is just one .dll/.so. It may be possible to reduce ruby's
interpreter to just that, but it doesn't come like that out of the box (rpm)
* I can run as many javascript interpreters as I want and start and stop
them when I want and reinitialize them.
* Threading is supported

Thomas

Kev Jackson 07-28-2005 08:32 AM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

We've just got an embedded project involving C + RTL? (some kind of
FPGA/ASIC definition language), and SWIG. I've convinced the people
involved that C will be fine for low-level stuff, but for the
application logic we should use a high-level language to minimize our
effort (memory management etc). I'm pretty sure that we'll be using
ruby (project lead is a fan of Why's guide). As for why we chose/are
considering ruby - no compilation (we're both sick of that damn compile
phase), support from SWIG interfaces, easily interface with C libraries
etc, clean OO.

Kev

Daniel Amelang 07-28-2005 03:52 PM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

For most RTOS apps, support for native threading is a must, which
eliminates ruby right away :(

Besides that, one of the points of a RTOS is immediate response
(talking microseconds here) to hardware interrupts. I end up having to
fine-tune my C/assembly to keep the response snappy.

Of course, there are many cases where ruby does make sense an embedded
environment, I just haven't come across any of them. I hope to someday
:)

Dan

Joel VanderWerf 07-28-2005 03:56 PM

treefrog wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm interested in finding out how widespread the use of Ruby is in
> embedded applications. Perhaps you do development for a jukebox
> manufacturer who uses Ruby to handle playlists, billing etc. with a C
> library doing all the driver stuff :-)

Well, tangentially...

We're using ruby for a customized IP transport layer and for messaging
services that will function as a platform for distributed applications
for vehicle-infrastructure communication based on DSRC wireless at the
roadside and GPRS cellular modems for backhaul. The applications are
being developed by several car companies, OEMs, and a traffic probe data
consulting co. The idea is to do everything from getting restaurant and
traffic info to the driver to automated diagnostics and support to
safety alerts.

Ruby is running on the roadside boxes (running RTLinux, sitting in
signal controller cabinets, so it's sorta embedded) and on a message
exchange server, and probably also some test vehicles. The partner
companies will be using our C library to send and receive messages
between their cars and their servers, but ruby is in the middle.

It's not for production code, just for a demo at the ITS World Congress
in S.F. involving 10s of cars and about 40 roadside units (wireless
access points).

In future projects, we may be moving some of the ruby code into a C
driver, but I will argue for keeping the higher level logic in ruby.
Also, we have another project to develop the lower DSRC protocol layers
in FPGA. (DSRC is the band designated for roadway communication.)

Phil Tomson 07-28-2005 04:25 PM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

In article <1122535228.275770.140150@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
treefrog <stephen.hill@motorola.com> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I'm interested in finding out how widespread the use of Ruby is in
>embedded applications. Perhaps you do development for a jukebox
>manufacturer who uses Ruby to handle playlists, billing etc. with a C
>library doing all the driver stuff :-)
>
>So, if you do embedded development (or work with people who do) I'd be
>interested in:
>1. Do you use Ruby in embedded applications.
>2. If not do you use use Perl or Python instead (why?)
>3. Would you use Ruby if "they" let you?

I haven't used Ruby in embedded applications simply because I haven't had
the opportunity.

But mostly I wanted to ask a question of you based on your return email
address: Will we be seeing Ruby show up in any Motorola phones someday
soon?

Phil

Phil Tomson 07-28-2005 04:32 PM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

In article <42E898F4.2050200@it.fts-vn.com>,
Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:
>We've just got an embedded project involving C + RTL? (some kind of
>FPGA/ASIC definition language), and SWIG. I've convinced the people
>involved that C will be fine for low-level stuff, but for the
>application logic we should use a high-level language to minimize our
>effort (memory management etc). I'm pretty sure that we'll be using
>ruby (project lead is a fan of Why's guide). As for why we chose/are
>considering ruby - no compilation (we're both sick of that damn compile
>phase), support from SWIG interfaces, easily interface with C libraries
>etc, clean OO.

This sounds really interesting - are you at liberty to provide more
details?

Reading between the lines of your post: It would seem that you're
developing an ASIC or FPGA with an embedded CPU and then you plan to run
the Ruby interpreter on that CPU?

Phil

Kev Jackson 07-29-2005 01:59 AM

Re: [SURVEY] Ruby in embedded applications

>This sounds really interesting - are you at liberty to provide more
>details?

A few more, we have the project, but the docs are in Japanese so some of
the details are a little bit vague (at least for me!)

It's a small project for the company (who I won't mention) to test
off-shore development here in Vietnam. They have a processor (ASIC/FPGA
still unclear exactly about it) that performs some kind of image
processing. They have an original set of test data in a special format
which can be read using RTL (this is the vague bit). They have another
algorithm (in C this time), but they don't have any test data.

Our task is to create compatible data for both the RTL version and the C
version (using the RTL data as as starting point). After that we have
to run both algorithms with the data set and compare output
(algorithmically). Finally we have to actually look at the images and
ensure we can't "see" any artefacts. The comparator program should be
fairly easy (at least in Ruby), converting the data will be the tricky part.

>Reading between the lines of your post: It would seem that you're
>developing an ASIC or FPGA with an embedded CPU and then you plan to run
>the Ruby interpreter on that CPU?
>
>Phil

Nope, not quite :) and not really embedded ruby at all, just Ruby to
test an embedded processor (at least that's my understanding of the
translated docs so far)

Daniel Kelley 07-29-2005 03:54 AM

"treefrog" <stephen.hill@motorola.com> writes:

> I'm interested in finding out how widespread the use of Ruby is in
> embedded applications. Perhaps you do development for a jukebox
> manufacturer who uses Ruby to handle playlists, billing etc. with a C
> library doing all the driver stuff :-)
>
> So, if you do embedded development (or work with people who do) I'd be
> interested in:
> 1. Do you use Ruby in embedded applications.
> 2. If not do you use use Perl or Python instead (why?)
> 3. Would you use Ruby if "they" let you?

I'm using ruby in an embedded Ethernet switch application as a
replacement (or adjuct, really, it's damn hard to dislodge a ton of
TCL code!) to a TCL API test application, so it's not delivered with
the product, but embedded in a test mode and used internally.

d.k.

--
Daniel Kelley - San Jose, CA
For email, replace the first dot in the domain with an at.