Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t82226-how-do-you-get-or-save-a-file-from-to-a-client-button-on-web-page-once-they-are-authenticated-the-client-could-be-mac-linux-or-windows.html)

jake 07-07-2004 05:14 PM

How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once
they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows. Can I do
it all with IIS and ASP.NET?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 07-07-2004 05:35 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

To send a file to the client it can be as simple as redirecting them to the
file with code like this:
Response.Redirect("SomeFile.doc")

To allow the user to upload a file to your server, you can use the file
upload control on your toolbar, or type it into the HTML manually:
<input type=file id=myFile runat=server />

These articles provide working examples for you:
http://steve.orr.net/content/asp200307so_f.asp
http://aspalliance.com/das/tutorial/fileupload.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

jake 07-07-2004 05:52 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

Thanks Steve,

This HTML server control, will give a text box and browse button, and it
will work on all platforms/web browsers (Mac, Linux, Windows)?

Also, how can I get this file to be uploaded automatically every so often /
days? Would the browser have to be run minimized after the initial file
info was taken and the 'button' pressed? Could the browser auto-open
minimized and send the file or something?

Marina 07-07-2004 06:00 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

You will not be able to have the file reuploaded automatically. It can only
happen when the user manually performs an action (such as clicking the
button). Otherwise this would be a major security hole, as web sites could
upload user files at will.

/

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 07-07-2004 06:01 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

Yes, the standard HTML file upload control *should* work in all browsers,
but you should (always) test your web sites with the platforms you choose to
support.

As for getting the upload to happen automatically, that's a whole different
can of worms involving plenty of security hoops. I know I wouldn't want you
downloading files off my computer whenever you feel like it. (Nothing
personal.)
You'll need a thick client of some kind to pull that off, such as a full
blown .NET Windows Forms application or a Windows Service. And obviously
those are not cross platform.

jake 07-07-2004 06:03 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

So a Timer event would not work, if the browser stayed open? (I have to get
a file daily) using SSL somehow over http. I thought that would be the
easiest solution.

Marina 07-07-2004 07:48 PM

Re: How do you get or save a file from/to a client (button on web page) once they are authenticated? The client could be Mac, Linux or Windows.

No, a Timer is a .NET Framework class (unless you are referring to something
else), which would be useless anyway, as the server can fire all the events
from a Timer it wants, there is no way to get anything over to the client
after the initial request, as HTTP is stateless.

And as I (and Steve) said previously, if there was anyway to do it, it would
be a major security hole.