Velocity Reviews

-   -   Application_BeginRequest questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t82100-application_beginrequest-questions.html)

JezB 07-06-2004 02:21 PM

Application_BeginRequest questions

1) How can I access my object-oreinted classes from the global.asax
Application_BeginRequest event ?
I cannot instantiate them from session since it complains :
Session state is not available in this context

2) How can I get the name of the Page being requested from within
Application_BeginRequest ?
((System.Web.UI.Page)HttpContext.Current.Handler). ToString() returns "".

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP] 07-06-2004 03:12 PM

Re: Application_BeginRequest questions

Request.Url will give you the full path. You can tear that down to get a
specific page.

If you posted the actual problem, sans the proposed solution (using App_BR),
you might get some better architectural guidelines for this problem.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
"JezB" <jezbroadsword@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> 1) How can I access my object-oreinted classes from the global.asax
> Application_BeginRequest event ?
> I cannot instantiate them from session since it complains :
> Session state is not available in this context
>
> 2) How can I get the name of the Page being requested from within
> Application_BeginRequest ?
> ((System.Web.UI.Page)HttpContext.Current.Handler). ToString() returns

"".

Scott Allen 07-06-2004 03:22 PM

Re: Application_BeginRequest questions

Properties on Request.Url should be able to give you the path and page
being requested.

If your object is kept in the Session object, you just won't be able
to get to it from BeginRequest. Perhaps you might want to check out
the Items collection, I have some sample code here:

http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/111.aspx

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:21:10 +0100, "JezB"

JezB 07-06-2004 04:27 PM

Re: Application_BeginRequest questions

I have found that I can do what I want in global.asax's
Application_PreRequestHandlerExecute event, since this has Session
available. I'm puzzled why Application_BeginRequest doesn't though.

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <NoSpamMgbworld@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote
in message news:uBYELP3YEHA.1000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...