Velocity Reviews

-   -   [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t818809-ann-foxguib-interactive-fox-gui-builder-and-code-generator.html)

henon (meinrad recheis) 01-05-2005 11:57 AM

[ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?

or the project site at rubyforge

http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/fox-tool

I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.

-henon

Luis G. Gómez 01-05-2005 02:26 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

I get:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:1
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require__'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw

Any sugestions?

henon (meinrad recheis) 01-05-2005 03:32 PM

Luis G. Gómez wrote:
> I get:
>
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from ./__FX__.rb:1
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__'
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from foxGUIb.rbw:12
>
> When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw
>
> Any sugestions?

your failure messages look very strange to me, however:

> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)

obviously ruby doesn't find FXRuby. it might not be installed on your
system. would it be installed ruby's require should find "fox"

hth,
- henon

Kaspar Schiess 01-05-2005 03:38 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

Hello,

> Any sugestions?

Have you installed the Fox GUI library successfully ? Did you try running a
few examples ? What operating system are you running this on ? What Ruby
version ?

In particular, if you type
require 'fox'
in irb, do you get a 'true' back ?

I think this will help us answering your question.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Richard Lyman 01-05-2005 04:06 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

Do you have any screenshots?

Matthew Margolis 01-05-2005 04:07 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
error in regards to
require 'FX'

I have looked over the FXRuby site and the Fox site to figure out what
FX is part of but I am having no luck. Anyone care to help out a gui noob?

Thank you,
Matt Margolis

henon (meinrad recheis) 01-05-2005 04:13 PM

Matthew Margolis wrote:
> I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
> error in regards to
> require 'FX'

you find "FX.rb" in the directory foxGUIb/FX/fxrelease. This is my
fault. i should have mentioned in the readme. However it is mentioned in
the UsersGuide on the Project-Wiki.
regards,
- henon

henon (meinrad recheis) 01-05-2005 04:25 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

The wiki is probably the best place for feedback.
I would appreciate your feedback most!

Bill Atkins 01-05-2005 04:39 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

Very well done. The UI is well-designed, the code generator works.
Good deal. It would be neat if userscould run the generated code from
within foxGUib.

Bill

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|

Curt Hibbs 01-05-2005 05:16 PM

Re: [ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

Curt