Velocity Reviews

-   -   Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t813401-rubyx-linux-distro-created-using-ruby-bootstrap-volunteers-required.html)

Andrew Walrond 02-01-2004 10:17 PM

Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required

Rubyx is almost ready to go public :)
The servers are in place, domains acquired, howtos written...

I would like to get some bootstrap testing done first though.

What I need are volunteers who have

1) Broadband or better
2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

Thats it; I don't need you to test the distro itself (although you'd be
welcome to try it), just test whether it will bootstrap itself from your
current distro.

It would take only a few minutes to download the script and start the test
going, so wouldn't take much of your time. Some number of hours later, you
can tell me whether or not it worked, and perhaps email me some logs if it
failed.

If you can help, email me and I'll send you some instructions.

Thanks!

Andrew Walrond

PS
Rubyx is a real simple to install/maintain distro which builds everything from
source using a very simple script written in ruby. It has a ruby based init
system, and supports a growing package library including the very latest
Gnome, Kde, Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x etc etc.

It was originally developed to run the backend servers of a massive-
multiplayer game (the development of which is my day job) but has somewhat
grown over time to become a viable desktop os.

Dennis Oelkers 02-01-2004 11:52 PM

Re: Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteersrequired

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> What I need are volunteers who have
>
> 1) Broadband or better
> 2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
> spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
> 3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

I can offer all of those, and I'd happily volunteer in testing it. Send
some instructions and I'll try :)

Kind regards,
Dennis Oelkers
--
Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

Key Fingerprint:
A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F