Velocity Reviews

-   -   Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t813391-python-25-times-as-popular-as-ruby.html)

Lothar Scholz 02-01-2004 06:43 AM

Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?

Hey,

i spend 30 minutes by checking the statistics page of popular and well
known ruby and python projects. The result is a real fiasco for ruby
in some areas.

For example

Jython 100 <-> Jruby 4
Ruby GTK 15 (FXRuby 8) <-> WxPython 700
Ruby DBI 70 <-> mysql-python 150

i also checked a lot of other packages but could find comparable ones.
But the numbers are the same. And when you compare the newsgroups
comp.lang.python<->comp.lang.ruby you see the same. clr seems to be
more code philosophical questions where clp is about developing
software.

So do you think the difference is the same. For my website i can only
confirm that it is at least a 4:1 for python.

Martin Weber 02-01-2004 07:08 AM

Re: Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 03:44:50PM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> i spend 30 minutes by checking the statistics page of popular and well
> known ruby and python projects. The result is a real fiasco for ruby
> in some areas.

I just say ``BSD is dead.'' :)

-Martin (<-- bsd user)

Dan Doel 02-01-2004 07:53 AM

Lothar Scholz wrote:

>The result is a real fiasco for ruby in some areas.

Why is this a fiasco?

Why must Ruby be far more known than Python?

We here know it and like it. I'm sure if other people ask us our opinion
on a good
language, we'll suggest Ruby.

But why should it matter if Ruby is more known than Python or Java or C
or whatever?

If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't. One needn't worry so much
about what other
people are doing.

After all, Ruby isn't a religion, and it isn't in a contest with other
languages.

- Dan

MikkelFJ 02-01-2004 09:33 AM

Re: Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?

Fra: "Lothar Scholz" <llothar@web.de>
Emne: Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?
Dato: 1. februar 2004 07:43

> comp.lang.ruby you see the same. clr seems to be
> more code philosophical questions where clp is about developing
> software.

I have learnt more about software development in c.l.r. than in any other
forum.

The greatest thing about Ruby is its friendly community, the intellect
behind it, and the tolerance and curiosity towards other interesting not
necessarily Ruby-related technologies. The language comes second to that. As
Ruby grows more popular, c.l.r. becomes more nuts'n bolts for better and
worse. But it is one reason I'm spending less time here these days - too
many posts to dig through. Just subjectively tracking c.l.r. from a distance
convinces me that more and more people are using Ruby. From zero knowledge
to an unscientific 1 / 25 of Python in 4 years of exposure to the english
speaking community is not bad at all considering Python has presumably grown
a lot in the same timeframe. Today every decent developer has at least heard
of Ruby.

I reckon the only really good projects you picked for comparison are the
database projects because these are used by the kind of projects best done
by scripting - e.g. GUI has issues with deployment and portability despite
the efforts. You might also want to look at template engines like Amrita,
XML parsers and web frameworks. Some of the really popular Ruby projects
have migrated into the Ruby distribution (e.g. REXML) and may not see much
exposure elsewhere - I guess this is also true for Python.

Mikkel

David Garamond 02-01-2004 10:08 AM

MikkelFJ wrote:
>>comp.lang.ruby you see the same. clr seems to be
>>more code philosophical questions where clp is about developing
>>software.

> I have learnt more about software development in c.l.r. than in any other
> forum.

I have found c.l.r to be a friendly and helpful community, but so are
comp.lang.python and most other comp.*. Only a handful of newsgroups and
mailing lists are actually a hostile environment (and even when they
are, it's not all of the time...)

--
dave

Tim Hunter 02-01-2004 01:10 PM

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:53:21 +0900, Dan Doel wrote:

> After all, Ruby isn't a religion, and it isn't in a contest with other
> languages.

Hear, hear! Well said!

Emmanuel Touzery 02-01-2004 02:41 PM

On Sunday 01 of February 2004 08:53, Dan Doel wrote:
> But why should it matter if Ruby is more known than Python or Java or C
> or whatever?

because then i can do ruby at my daily work instead of suffering in C# :O)
for now ruby is only acceptable for internal tools, clients want
buzzword-compliant tools. python might be in this class soon, and i'd like
ruby to get there too.. (and i trust matz not to cripple the language to get
there)

emmanuel

Lothar Scholz 02-01-2004 03:14 PM

Re: Python 25 times as popular as Ruby !?

Hello Dan,

Sunday, February 1, 2004, 8:53:21 AM, you wrote:

DD> But why should it matter if Ruby is more known than Python or Java or C
DD> or whatever?

It's simple. The evolution depends on the size of the active
community. I don't mean students who pick it up for a course, or
people writting there first script, but people using it in a
professional (commerical) environment.

You can't deny that there is a correlation between this and the
quality of the libraries (maybe not the core) and found/fixed bugs.

--
Best regards,

Michael campbell 02-01-2004 03:31 PM

Dan Doel wrote:

> Lothar Scholz wrote:
>
>> The result is a real fiasco for ruby in some areas.
>>

> Why is this a fiasco?
>
> Why must Ruby be far more known than Python?

No one said that.

> We here know it and like it. I'm sure if other people ask us our opinion
> on a good
> language, we'll suggest Ruby.

And if that other person is in charge of actually deciding something (like say, your boss), often they will get many opinions. If your opinion is "ruby" and 4 others are "python", guess which way they will go?

> But why should it matter if Ruby is more known than Python or Java or C
> or whatever?

See above. And as Lothar said, so more bugs will be found, more libraries will be written, better chance of using it in the workplace.

If it doesn't grow, it will eventually die.

Dan Doel 02-01-2004 07:12 PM

Michael campbell wrote:

> No one said that.

Yes, I was exaggerating for effect. :)

> If it doesn't grow, it will eventually die.

Will it? Is Smalltalk still growing today? It probably hasn't grown
for quite some time, yet it's still around if you want to learn it.
How about Eiffel? People are even moving away from C and C++, but I
doubt they'll be dead for many years to come.

In any case (and this is a reply to several posts, not just yours),
Ruby will get popular some day. Or maybe it won't, and we'll either
continue to talk about it here and use it from time to time just
because it's a nice language, or we'll move on to something else.
The world will go on.

What we don't need to do is organize a big campaign to get Ruby
awareness up. We don't need to contact big players like IBM and
whoever to push Ruby for all sorts of programming -- "Look, it
was made for scripting but you should use it for OS programming and
high speed graphics too!" We don't need to go into Slashdot stories
or forums about other languages and post messages going "Ruby rox!
Go check it out!"

Everyone hates evangelists except for those who are already in the
religion. They get offended that you're implying your beliefs are
better than theirs. If someone's curious about Ruby, or wants a
language suggestion, tell them to check it out, but don't become
an evangelist.

In the mean time, posts like, "Python is 25 times more popular than
Ruby" or "Ruby needs Python indenting to be popular!" just waste time.
Ruby will either get there, or it won't, based on whether it's worthy
or not. Don't worry so much about how long it takes.

Waiting is.

- Dan