Velocity Reviews

-   -   SICK of Mizilla crashing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t8130-sick-of-mizilla-crashing.html)

Thomas Curmudgeon 09-28-2003 03:56 PM

SICK of Mizilla crashing

I'm sick of having mozilla crash. I'm sure windows (microsoft) causes
this and probably on purpose, but what's the solution?

It's happened too many times. Am I supposed to use the evil explorer?

Pascal Chevrel 09-28-2003 04:27 PM

Re: SICK of Mizilla crashing

Le 28/09/2003 17:56, Thomas Curmudgeon a Úcrit :

> I'm sick of having mozilla crash. I'm sure windows (microsoft) causes
> this and probably on purpose, but what's the solution?
>
> It's happened too many times. Am I supposed to use the evil explorer?

How about updating Mozilla to a final stable version ? You are using
mozilla 1.2alpha, the last final version was 1.4, 1.4.1 is about to be
released and we will soon have 1.5.

Pascal

--
FAQ Mozilla/Netscape 7 en franšais : http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/
Foros Mozilla en espa˝ol : http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/mozilla

John 09-28-2003 07:09 PM

Re: SICK of Mizilla crashing

Hi, Thomas:

What is your normal usage pattern?

Mozilla almost never crashes for me. The only time it does crash is
when I'm clicking around in email messages with very large attachments
and I don't allow them to fully load before clicking around some more.
Sometimes that causes it to crash. I'm using 1.4, mind you.

If you're low on RAM, that could be a problem. Also, if you have a lot
of tray icons and crud running when your system starts. That could take
away a lot of system resources so that Mozilla might not be able to do
what it needs to do.

John

Thomas Curmudgeon 09-28-2003 08:46 PM

Re: SICK of Mizilla crashing

John wrote:

> Hi, Thomas:
>
> What is your normal usage pattern?
>
> Mozilla almost never crashes for me. The only time it does crash is
> when I'm clicking around in email messages with very large attachments
> and I don't allow them to fully load before clicking around some more.
> Sometimes that causes it to crash. I'm using 1.4, mind you.
>
> If you're low on RAM, that could be a problem. Also, if you have a lot
> of tray icons and crud running when your system starts. That could take
> away a lot of system resources so that Mozilla might not be able to do
> what it needs to do.

I leave a lot of browser windows open. But I do have lots of memory.
I've upgraded to the 1.4 and I'll see if it's more stable.

Leonidas Jones 09-29-2003 12:28 AM

Re: SICK of Mizilla crashing

Thomas Curmudgeon wrote:

> John wrote:
>

>> Hi, Thomas:
>>
>> What is your normal usage pattern?
>>
>> Mozilla almost never crashes for me. The only time it does crash is
>> when I'm clicking around in email messages with very large attachments
>> and I don't allow them to fully load before clicking around some more.
>> Sometimes that causes it to crash. I'm using 1.4, mind you.
>>
>> If you're low on RAM, that could be a problem. Also, if you have a
>> lot of tray icons and crud running when your system starts. That
>> could take away a lot of system resources so that Mozilla might not be
>> able to do what it needs to do.

> I leave a lot of browser windows open. But I do have lots of memory.
> I've upgraded to the 1.4 and I'll see if it's more stable.

You might try the 1.4.1 release candidate, which fixes the GDI leak:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest-1.4.1

Or take a look at 1.5 RC2, likely to be identical to 1.5 final.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Lee