Velocity Reviews

-   -   Test::Unit -- multiple errors in test method ??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t810468-test-unit-multiple-errors-in-test-method.html)

Johan Holmberg 09-15-2003 12:08 PM

Test::Unit -- multiple errors in test method ???

Hi !

I have been writing some unit tests with Test::Unit.

I've noted that when an assertion fails in a test method, the
remaining assertions in the same test method aren't even excuted.
Here is an example:

require 'test/unit'

class TC_example < Test::Unit::TestCase

def test_a
assert_equal 2, 1 + 1
assert_equal 5, 2 + 2 # gives error
assert_equal 7, 2 + 5 # never executed !!!
assert_equal 8, 3 + 4 # never executed !!!
end

end

When running this I get:

C:\> ruby TC_example.rb
Loaded suite TC_example
Started
Finished in 0.01 seconds.

1) Failure!!!
test_a(TC_example) [TC_example1.rb:8]:
<5> expected but was
<4>

The two last assertions aren't even executed.
Is this a but or an intentional "feature" ?

I've looked at the way JUNIT in Java does the same thing,
and there I got *all* errors reported. That seems much more useful
to mee.

With the current Test::Unit behaviour in Ruby, I can't know if
an error "hides" a number of other errors until I've fixed the first
error (it feels like having a C-compiler that only report the first
compilation error ...).

I have tested this with Ruby 1.8, and also with a more recent
CVS-snapshot.

Am I missing something obvious,
or should this be considered a bug in Test::Unit ?

/Johan Holmberg

David Corbin 09-15-2003 12:15 PM

Re: Test::Unit -- multiple errors in test method ???

On Monday 15 September 2003 08:08, Johan Holmberg wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have been writing some unit tests with Test::Unit.
> The two last assertions aren't even executed.
> Is this a but or an intentional "feature" ?

"feature"

> I've looked at the way JUNIT in Java does the same thing,
> and there I got *all* errors reported. That seems much more useful
> to mee.

You'd better look more closely. JUnit stops execution of the test at the
first failed assertion. Of course, it doesn't report how many assertions
it's making, so maybe it's less obvious to you.

> With the current Test::Unit behaviour in Ruby, I can't know if
> an error "hides" a number of other errors until I've fixed the first
> error (it feels like having a C-compiler that only report the first
> compilation error ...).

If you've got a number of assertions in one test case, while not always, often
they are "ascendent". That is, the second asssertion can only really be
checked. if the first one is true. For example, so people might right

assert_not_nil(a)
assert_equals("foo",a.name)

--
David Corbin <dcorbin@machturtle.com>

Johan Holmberg 09-15-2003 12:45 PM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, David Corbin wrote:

> > I've looked at the way JUNIT in Java does the same thing,
> > and there I got *all* errors reported. That seems much more useful
> > to mee.

> You'd better look more closely. JUnit stops execution of the test at the
> first failed assertion. Of course, it doesn't report how many assertions
> it's making, so maybe it's less obvious to you.

Yes, I missed that.

> If you've got a number of assertions in one test case, while not
> always, often they are "ascendent". That is, the second
> asssertion can only really be checked. if the first one is true.

Yes, in case this was a feature I suspected the thinking was like
that. But how about these cases ?

- the Rubicon tests for Ruby. The test methods test a number of
things in the same method. As soon as *any* test fails the whole
test suite soon becomes increasingly useless (maybe one could say
that there should not be any errors, but that has always been
the case when I have tried to run Rubicon ...)

- I have tried to write some table driven tests. How should I do
this ? Currently I tried something in the following style:

@@data = [
[2, 1, 1],
[5, 2, 2], # should fail
[7, 2, 5],
[8, 3, 4], # should fail
]

def test_b
for facit, aa, bb in @@data
assert_equal facit, aa + bb
end
end

Here I have several tests that are not "increasing".
(just before I post this I saw David Alan Blacks answer mentioning
Test::Unit::AssertionFailedError. Should I catch that ? )

Thanks for the replies,
/Johan Holmberg

Simon Strandgaard 09-15-2003 01:05 PM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:08:22 +0900, Johan Holmberg wrote:

> I have been writing some unit tests with Test::Unit.
>
> I've noted that when an assertion fails in a test method, the
> remaining assertions in the same test method aren't even excuted.
> Here is an example:

It is considered good practize only to *one* assertion per testcase, this
way you won't have any assertions which never gets executed.

Even though I doesn't always follow that convention :-)

--
Simon Strandgaard

ts 09-15-2003 01:06 PM

Re: Test::Unit -- multiple errors in test method ???

J> - I have tried to write some table driven tests. How should I do
J> this ? Currently I tried something in the following style:

Something like this ?

svg% cat b.rb
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require 'test/unit'

class TC_example < Test::Unit::TestCase

@@data = [
[2, 1, 1, true],
[5, 2, 2, false], # should fail
[7, 2, 5, true],
[8, 3, nil, TypeError], # should fail
]

def test_a
for facit, aa, bb, res in @@data
case res
when true
assert_equal(facit, aa + bb)
when false
assert_not_same(facit, aa + bb)
else
assert_raises(res) { aa + bb }
end
end
end
end

svg%

svg% b.rb
Loaded suite ./b
Started

Robert Klemme 09-15-2003 01:08 PM

"Simon Strandgaard" <qj5nd7l02@sneakemail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:pan.2003.09.15.13.05.42.438830@sneakemail.com ...
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:08:22 +0900, Johan Holmberg wrote:
>
> > I have been writing some unit tests with Test::Unit.
> >
> > I've noted that when an assertion fails in a test method, the
> > remaining assertions in the same test method aren't even excuted.
> > Here is an example:

> It is considered good practize only to *one* assertion per testcase,

this
> way you won't have any assertions which never gets executed.

Did you mean to say "*one* assertion per test" (i.e. test method)? One
assertion per test case (i.e. class) would be a bit lavish...

But even if so: JUnit encourages the convention of one test per method,
which typically leads to multiple assertions per test.

> Even though I doesn't always follow that convention :-)

Same here.

Regards

robert

ts 09-15-2003 01:41 PM

Re: Test::Unit -- multiple errors in test method ???

J> No, not really.
J> When I wrote "should fail" I just meant that I had written a line in
J> the table that *as it stands* give an error.

Then this ?

svg% cat b.rb
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require 'test/unit'

class TC_example < Test::Unit::TestCase

@@data = [
[2, 1, 1],
[5, 2, 2], # should fail
[7, 2, 5],
[8, 3, 7], # should fail
]

def test_a
error = []
for facit, aa, bb in @@data
begin
assert_equal(facit, aa + bb)
rescue Exception
error << $!
end
end
error.each {|e| add_failure(e.message, e.backtrace) }
end
end

svg%

svg% b.rb
Loaded suite ./b
Started
FF
Finished in 0.002194 seconds.

1) Failure!!!
test_a(TC_example) [./b.rb:17]:
<5> expected but was
<4>

2) Failure!!!
test_a(TC_example) [./b.rb:17]:
<8> expected but was
<10>

svg%

Guy Decoux

Johan Holmberg 09-15-2003 02:08 PM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, ts wrote:

> J> No, not really.
> J> When I wrote "should fail" I just meant that I had written a line in
> J> the table that *as it stands* give an error.
>
> Then this ?

Yes !
Thanks, for the example code.

It seems to solve my problems in the case where I want to use
table-driven tests, and where each test (i.e. line in the table) is
independent of the others.

/Johan Holmberg