Velocity Reviews

-   -   mkmf documentation? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t809236-mkmf-documentation.html)

Kero van Gelder 08-02-2003 02:58 PM

mkmf documentation?

Hello,

Fiddling with mkmf, to get it to install a bunch of files in the proper
place; it's impossible without docs, reading the source doesn't help me
either :(

Specifically:
- what's the third item in the items for $INSTALLFILES
- How come `make install` creates directories with permissions rwxr-s---
- How to take *out* the default .so to install
- is it possible to generate recursive Makefiles?
- can I check availability of headerfiles and complain when they're not
found?

Thanks,
Kero.

Yukihiro Matsumoto 08-02-2003 03:58 PM

Re: mkmf documentation?

Hi,

In message "mkmf documentation?"
on 03/08/02, Kero van Gelder <kero@chello.single-dot.nl> writes:

|Specifically:
| - what's the third item in the items for $INSTALLFILES

It's a prefix to be removed (e.g. "lib" in "lib/foobar.rb").

| - How come `make install` creates directories with permissions rwxr-s---

Does it?

| - How to take *out* the default .so to install

You can't. You have specified its name by create_makefile(target).

| - is it possible to generate recursive Makefiles?

No. You need to prepare extconf.rb for each directories.

| - can I check availability of headerfiles and complain when they're not
| found?

unless have_header("foobar.h")
warn "you should install <foobar.h> first"
exit
end

matz.

Kero van Gelder 08-03-2003 04:53 PM

Re: mkmf documentation?

> | - How come `make install` creates directories with permissions rwxr-s---
>
> Does it?

Yes. The s is from the parent directory, of course :(
Change umask, stir a bit and it's all solved.

> | - can I check availability of headerfiles and complain when they're not
> | found?
>
> unless have_header("foobar.h")
> warn "you should install <foobar.h> first"
> exit
> end

Erm, of course (ashamed).

Thanks,