Velocity Reviews

-   -   Not a request, an anomaly (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t808211-not-a-request-an-anomaly.html)

thedarkman 01-19-2012 07:47 PM

Not a request, an anomaly

As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

the above is a screenshot. This website which I edit - really a
directory on my site - was updated tonight. I added the letter at the
very bottom of this page

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...s_scans_4.html

the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets, but when I
checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
called?) in lieu.

I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
the quote as this quote from his website shows...

and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
bibliography, and when I linked directly from

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...ml#jan-19-2012

presto

perfect

Try it yourself and see what you get. As I said, these machines don't
obey the laws of physics.

Ben Bacarisse 01-19-2012 08:27 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

thedarkman <A_Baron@ABaron.Demon.Co.UK> writes:

<snip>
> the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets,

I think you mean "quotes" not "brackets".

> but when I
> checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
> called?) in lieu.

What you see will vary from browser to browser (and from system to system).

> I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
> the quote “as this quote from his website shows...”
>
> and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
> bibliography, and when I linked directly from
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...ml#jan-19-2012
>
> presto
>
> perfect

Nope. That page link forces the browser to guess the character encoding
(all of your pages do this) so there's a chance you'll get lucky -- it
all depend how the browser guesses. By the way, you have the same
problem on you own pages.

> Try it yourself and see what you get. As I said, these machines don't
> obey the laws of physics.

They do. You need to read up on character encodings and then ensure
that your pages is served with an HTTP header that matches the encoding
you choose to use for the page.

--
Ben.

thedarkman 01-19-2012 09:13 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

On Jan 19, 8:27*pm, Ben Bacarisse <ben.use...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> They do. *You need to read up on character encodings and then ensure
> that your pages is served with an HTTP header that matches the encoding
> you choose to use for the page.
>
> --
> Ben.

You mean this of course

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

I will ensure this appears at the top of all my files from now on.

P E Schoen 01-19-2012 09:13 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

"thedarkman" wrote in message

> As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like
> to see this.

> http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay just
to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a free one
that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as www.tinypic.com. And
with them you can even find the native URL for the image and bypass their
ads and user interface.

As for the rest of your "problems", they are only of interest on a
sociopathetic level as insight into your need to ignore reasonable advice
and then proclaim your astonishment at things working weirdly. You are
certainly the "king of quirks mode"!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com

Tim Streater 01-19-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

In article
thedarkman <A_Baron@ABaron.Demon.Co.UK> wrote:

> As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
> this.
>

> http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

Well I examined this page, but couldn't figure out what I was supposed
to do. There was no obvious sign of anything that relates to your post.

> the above is a screenshot. This website which I edit - really a
> directory on my site - was updated tonight. I added the letter at the
> very bottom of this page
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...s_scans_4.html
>
> the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets, but when I
> checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
> called?) in lieu.
>
> I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
> the quote “as this quote from his website shows...”
>
> and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
> bibliography, and when I linked directly from
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m....html#jan-19-2
> 012
>
> presto
>
> perfect
>
> Try it yourself and see what you get. As I said, these machines don't
> obey the laws of physics.

What are you getting at? You've given two links to the same page. Why
would one look different to the other?

--
Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 01-19-2012 09:47 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

P E Schoen wrote:

> "thedarkkingofquirksmodeman" wrote:
>> As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
>> this.

>> http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

> I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay
> just to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a
> free one that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as
> www.tinypic.com. And with them you can even find the native URL for the
> image and bypass their ads and user interface.

It's really strange that he posts a screenshot on some pay site, eh?
After all, he *does* have his own web space... :-)

I don't know what he's talking about because the comment about his
"brackets" seems to refer to an image at his site. At least that is where
the "Sydenham" text seems to be.

<http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/mt-sun-jan-3-2012.jpg>

--
-bts

Ben Bacarisse 01-19-2012 10:08 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

thedarkman <odemgoldenslippers@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Jan 19, 8:27*pm, Ben Bacarisse <ben.use...@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>

>> They do. *You need to read up on character encodings and then ensure
>> that your pages is served with an HTTP header that matches the encoding
>> you choose to use for the page.
>>
>> --
>> Ben.

It's best not to quote sig blocks, even short ones.

> You mean this of course
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

No, I don't. Entering "character encoding" and "HTTP header" into a
search engine might help.

> I will ensure this appears at the top of all my files from now on.

That won't fix any of the problems and it may cause new ones. Your
pages don't use HTML 4.01, so there is nothing to be gained by adding a
DOCTYPE line that says they do.

--
Ben.

Martin Edwards 01-20-2012 03:15 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

On 19/01/2012 19:47, thedarkman wrote:
> As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
> this.
>

> http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7
>
> the above is a screenshot. This website which I edit - really a
> directory on my site - was updated tonight. I added the letter at the
> very bottom of this page
>
> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...s_scans_4.html
>
> the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets, but when I
> checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
> called?) in lieu.

It's funny to see an old dinosaur like you standing in a new dinosaur's
shoes (Dinah Shore's shoes?)

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

Martin Edwards 01-20-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

On 19/01/2012 20:27, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> thedarkman<A_Baron@ABaron.Demon.Co.UK> writes:
>
> <snip>
>> the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets,

> I think you mean "quotes" not "brackets".
>
>> but when I
>> checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
>> called?) in lieu.

> What you see will vary from browser to browser (and from system to system).
>
>> I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
>> the quote “as this quote from his website shows...”
>>
>> and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
>> bibliography, and when I linked directly from
>>
>> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/m...ml#jan-19-2012
>>
>> presto
>>
>> perfect

> Nope. That page link forces the browser to guess the character encoding
> (all of your pages do this) so there's a chance you'll get lucky -- it
> all depend how the browser guesses. By the way, you have the same
> problem on you own pages.

Hey, you from Baltimore?

Martin Edwards 01-20-2012 03:19 PM

Re: Not a request, an anomaly

On 19/01/2012 21:13, P E Schoen wrote:
> "thedarkman" wrote in message
>
>> As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like
>> to see this.

>> http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

> I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay
> just to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a
> free one that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as
> www.tinypic.com. And with them you can even find the native URL for the
> image and bypass their ads and user interface.
>
> As for the rest of your "problems", they are only of interest on a
> sociopathetic level as insight into your need to ignore reasonable
> advice and then proclaim your astonishment at things working weirdly.
> You are certainly the "king of quirks mode"!
>
> Paul
> www.muttleydog.com

Yeah right. Stop that pigeon now!