Velocity Reviews

-   -   Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t807975-panasonic-gh2-14-140mm-discontinued.html)

RichA 01-12-2012 10:16 PM

Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued??

As a kit? Or the camera itself? Or not?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Bruce 01-12-2012 10:44 PM

Re: Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued??

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>As a kit? Or the camera itself? Or not?
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

There seem to be 14-140mm lenses available in Europe.

The GH2 is soon to be replaced by, presumably, a GH3. GH2 production
has probably ended already. Kits are still available with the 14-42mm
lens (with or without the 45-200mm lens) but there are no new kits
with the 14-140mm lens.

Bruce 01-13-2012 02:07 AM

Rich <none@nowhere.com> wrote:
>Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote in
>news:7doug7lim8rnvebr04crgkrq983bmgl6eu@4ax.com :
>> RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>As a kit? Or the camera itself? Or not?
>>>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...c_DMC_GH2H_K_L
>>>umix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html

>> There seem to be 14-140mm lenses available in Europe.
>>
>> The GH2 is soon to be replaced by, presumably, a GH3. GH2 production
>> has probably ended already. Kits are still available with the 14-42mm
>> lens (with or without the 45-200mm lens) but there are no new kits
>> with the 14-140mm lens.

>Darn! They had them on sale in Canada (the kits)last week for $1199.00.
>I should have got one.

I thought you already had one.

B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
only deals are available. B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.

Bruce 01-13-2012 09:32 AM

Rich <none@nowhere.com> wrote:
>Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote in
>news:r64vg7llct68dur8js0lld9n1st4hl22aa@4ax.com :
>> I thought you already had one.
>> B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
>> only deals are available. B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.
>>

>No, I'm still considering what to get.

Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

>G3 because it's a reasonable step
>up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
>I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000. There are so
>many variables for each it's a tough choice. The Samsung 20mp sensor
>looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
>They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7. NEX-7 has 24 MP
and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking? GH3 will have a very good
EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
help from Olympus.

On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer. Coming from the
G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
you buy one as an accessory.

RichA 01-13-2012 02:38 PM

On Jan 13, 4:32*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rich <n...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote in
> >news:r64vg7llct68dur8js0lld9n1st4hl22aa@4ax.com :
> >> I thought you already had one.
> >> B&H is selling the kit with the 14-42mm lens for $895, but no body
> >> only deals are available. *B&H also has the 14-140mm lens for $649.

> >No, I'm still considering what to get.

> Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week. I was set to buy it but
the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

> >G3 because it's a reasonable step
> >up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
> >I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000. *There are so
> >many variables for each it's a tough choice. *The Samsung 20mp sensor
> >looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
> >They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

> In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
> the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7. *NEX-7 has 24 MP
> and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
> lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking? *GH3 will have a very good
> EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
> help from Olympus.

Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

> On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer. *Coming from the
> G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
> My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
> you buy one as an accessory.

Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

Bruce 01-13-2012 05:12 PM

Re: Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued??

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 13, 4:32*am, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rich <n...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> >Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> >news:r64vg7llct68dur8js0lld9n1st4hl22aa@4ax.com :

>> >No, I'm still considering what to get.

>> Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

>I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week. I was set to buy it but
>the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

OK.

>> >G3 because it's a reasonable step
>> >up from the G1, the NEX-7 for its resolution and EVF or the GH2 because
>> >I'm familiar with it and it held up well against my D7000. *There are so
>> >many variables for each it's a tough choice. *The Samsung 20mp sensor
>> >looks very good as well, but the camera it's attached to is not great.
>> >They are supposed to release an G1-type body though.

>> In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
>> the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7. *NEX-7 has 24 MP
>> and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
>> lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking? *GH3 will have a very good
>> EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
>> help from Olympus.

>Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
>Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
>did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

They probably aren't telecentric enough. Modernising might involve a
complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
of lenses. Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!

>> On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer. *Coming from the
>> G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
>> My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
>> you buy one as an accessory.

>Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

Yes, but. Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
uses the hot shoe. I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive. I might try
that but I would need to be assured that it won't come off, sending a
very expensive piece of kit plunging on to the concrete.

So faced with the choice of a Leica brand grip that uses the tripod
bush, or an off-brand thumb rest that uses the hot shoe, I chose
neither. Instead, I use a leather half case that has a built-in grip.

It is similar to several brands on the market but was specially made
for me by a saddler. It is so good that I would like to market it. I
am waiting for a price for an initial run of 20, 50 or 100 to see if
it would be worth me selling it.

RichA 01-13-2012 06:05 PM

On Jan 13, 12:12*pm, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Funny, I was sure you said you had sold the D7000 and bought a GH2.

> >I kind of had the GH2 "on spec" for a week. *I was set to buy it but
> >the sensitivity thing intruded and I wanted to do more testing.

> OK.

> >> In your position, and at this time, I would probably want to wait for
> >> the GH3 then decide whether to buy that or the NEX-7. *NEX-7 has 24 MP
> >> and the best EVF in the business, but a truly pathetic selection of
> >> lenses - what on earth are Sony thinking? *GH3 will have a very good
> >> EVF and Panasonic has an excellent selection of lenses, with a little
> >> help from Olympus.

> >Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
> >Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
> >did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

> They probably aren't telecentric enough. *Modernising might involve a
> complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
> Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
> of lenses. *Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!

I remember Sony saying about a year ago they were going to add even
cheaper lenses to the line!

> >> On the other hand, the G3 is an excellent performer. *Coming from the
> >> G1, you probably won't like the small grip, but I like it very much.
> >> My 'other' camera is now an M9, and that has no grip at all - unless
> >> you buy one as an accessory.

> >Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

> Yes, but. *Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
> uses the hot shoe. *I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
> level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
> I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive.

The unit is well-built. How hard would it be to cut holes in the part
that goes into the hot shoe and add some insulated contacts?

Bruce 01-13-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Panasonic GH2 14-140mm discontinued??

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 13, 12:12*pm, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Yes, they keep bashing Sony for their rather weak lens selection.
>> >Minolta had some interesting lenses, I wonder if Sony considered (or
>> >did?) adapting any of them, or modernizing them?

>> They probably aren't telecentric enough. *Modernising might involve a
>> complete redesign, and Sony seems not to want to invest in lenses.
>> Rarely have there been serious lines of cameras with a poor selection
>> of lenses. *Sony has TWO - Alpha and NEX!
>>

>I remember Sony saying about a year ago they were going to add even
>cheaper lenses to the line!

Sony seems to have an unerring habit of making failure out of success.

>> >Or the aftermarket thumb rest.

>> Yes, but. *Yes, there is an aftermarket thumb rest but when fitted it
>> uses the hot shoe. *I need the hot shoe for viewfinders, my spirit
>> level, occasional use of flash ... so the thumb rest is not much use.
>> I believe there is now one that sticks on with adhesive.

>The unit is well-built. How hard would it be to cut holes in the part
>that goes into the hot shoe and add some insulated contacts?

That's an interesting idea. I know someone who makes things like
that. His stuff isn't cheap, but it works. I suppose it is worth a
try, and it might sell. In the meantime, the half case with grip
works well.