Velocity Reviews

-   -   yahoo-xtra mail problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806998-yahoo-xtra-mail-problem.html)

pystol 12-16-2011 06:57 AM

yahoo-xtra mail problem

Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
100 attempts fail.

Frank Williams 12-16-2011 07:57 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:57:37 -0800 (PST), pystol
<luigibergonzi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
>download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
>100 attempts fail.

Get a Real ISP.

Donchano 12-16-2011 08:06 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:57:43 +1300, Frank Williams
<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> shouted from the highest rooftop:

><luigibergonzi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
>>download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
>>100 attempts fail.

>Get a Real ISP.

I know Woger has long standing issues with Xtra, so take that into
consideration first.

OTOH, Xtra-Yahoo is crap. Full stop.

So what I did is subscribe to a really excellent email service. It's
called Fastmail.net and I've had no problems with it at all. Great
service. Great backup and great support -which I've only had to use
once or twice over the past couple of years - and not expensive in
terms of the hassle it saves and the reliability it delivers.

http://www.fastnet.net

I recommend it highly and combined with Xtra (as my ISP) I have had
very few problems.

Ralph Fox 12-16-2011 10:48 PM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:57:37 -0800 (PST), in message <60eb4191-c93b-46a2-8528-9e4510348ba0@f30g2000pri.googlegroups.com>
pystol wrote:

> Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
> download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
> 100 attempts fail.

No problem here at the moment. Are you using POP or IMAP?

IMAP access to Yahoo!Xtra mail can be slow at times when the Internet
is busy. Just try again at a different time of the day.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Frank Williams 12-16-2011 11:39 PM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:06:55 +1300, Donchano
<donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:57:43 +1300, Frank Williams
><FWilliams@happy.com.ru> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>><luigibergonzi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
>>>download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
>>>100 attempts fail.

>>Get a Real ISP.

>I know Woger has long standing issues with Xtra, so take that into
>consideration first.

Not al all, so dont make thinks up, its also rated as the worse ISP,
and there actions proves that..

malone 12-16-2011 11:50 PM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

I've had a lot of trouble with xtra recently - about 50% of my attempts
to connect to pop3.xtra.co.nz failed (timed out).

But this morning I changed the port number to 995 and put the connection
security to SSL/TLS and it's been ok ever since....

It takes 3 or 4 sec to get through which is a lot slower than other pop
servers I use, but at least it doesn't fail

Using Thunderbird 8.

Richard 12-17-2011 02:03 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On 12/17/2011 12:39 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:06:55 +1300, Donchano
> <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>> I know Woger has long standing issues with Xtra, so take that into
>> consideration first.

> Not al all, so dont make thinks up, its also rated as the worse ISP,
> and there actions proves that..

Their ISP services are among the best IME. Their email, well thats just
crap but who uses ISP email these days when google apps are free and a
domain name is $10 a year?

Frank Williams 12-17-2011 05:15 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:03:28 +1300, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>On 12/17/2011 12:39 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:06:55 +1300, Donchano
>> <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote:

>>> I know Woger has long standing issues with Xtra, so take that into
>>> consideration first.

>> Not al all, so dont make thinks up, its also rated as the worse ISP,
>> and there actions proves that..

>Their ISP services are among the best IME. Their email, well thats just
>crap but who uses ISP email these days when google apps are free and a
>domain name is $10 a year?

Yes but they are not private that is how Google makes its money.
Google = Spyware.

Have a look at the reviews Clear.net beats them all

And I use the ISP mail like a large number of my friends, I get very
turned off when I see Web mail contacts.

Richard 12-17-2011 06:07 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On 12/17/2011 6:15 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 15:03:28 +1300, Richard<rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> On 12/17/2011 12:39 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

>>> Not al all, so dont make thinks up, its also rated as the worse ISP,
>>> and there actions proves that..

>> Their ISP services are among the best IME. Their email, well thats just
>> crap but who uses ISP email these days when google apps are free and a
>> domain name is $10 a year?

> Yes but they are not private that is how Google makes its money.
> Google = Spyware.

They only use them to target ad's, which most webmail does anyway. email
isnt private anyway unless you use smime or something else, its sent in
cleartext between mailservers despite your best intentions of using
secure imap or https to read it.

> Have a look at the reviews Clear.net beats them all

Many complaints from people with self install DSL that are too cheap to
get it done properly using a dodgey junk free modem doesnt bother me.
All the people I know with xtra DSL that have a proper install are very
happy with it, it speedtests well above other ISPs at peak times and
they have no issues playing youtube most of the time.

> And I use the ISP mail like a large number of my friends, I get very
> turned off when I see Web mail contacts.

Good to know that I wont be turning you on with my email address ;)

I get worried when I see places that use ISP addresses for business use.
Basically it shows they are really cheap and clueless. People using it

Frank Williams 12-18-2011 06:17 AM

Re: yahoo-xtra mail problem

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:07:42 +1300, Richard <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>On 12/17/2011 6:15 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

>>> Their ISP services are among the best IME. Their email, well thats just
>>> crap but who uses ISP email these days when google apps are free and a
>>> domain name is $10 a year?

>> Yes but they are not private that is how Google makes its money.
>> Google = Spyware.

>They only use them to target ad's, which most webmail does anyway. email
>isnt private anyway unless you use smime or something else, its sent in
>cleartext between mailservers despite your best intentions of using
>secure imap or https to read it.
>
>> Have a look at the reviews Clear.net beats them all

>Many complaints from people with self install DSL that are too cheap to
>get it done properly using a dodgey junk free modem doesnt bother me.
>All the people I know with xtra DSL that have a proper install are very
>happy with it, it speedtests well above other ISPs at peak times and
>they have no issues playing youtube most of the time.

Telstra Clear net beats them all Cable that is and with a 2Mbs upload
speed

>> And I use the ISP mail like a large number of my friends, I get very
>> turned off when I see Web mail contacts.

>Good to know that I wont be turning you on with my email address ;)
>
>I get worried when I see places that use ISP addresses for business use.
>Basically it shows they are really cheap and clueless. People using it

Not Clueless but Brains, most Bisenes that I have come acroos all over
the World DO NOT USE WEB MAIL..

Me thinks you have not used the Intenet long..