Velocity Reviews

-   -   Simple Web Page Buttons (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806903-simple-web-page-buttons.html)

Mike Copeland 12-13-2011 02:32 PM

Simple Web Page Buttons

I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
(www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

idle 12-13-2011 03:00 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:32:36 -0700, Mike Copeland wrote in alt.html:

> I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
> been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
> (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
> desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
> the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
> can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
> possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
> information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
> impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
> graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
> That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
> take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

Use Gimp. It's free and will re-do what you need.

--
idle
None of us is as good as all of us.

Jonathan N. Little 12-13-2011 03:40 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

Mike Copeland wrote:
> I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
> been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
> (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
> desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
> the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
> can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
> possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
> information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
> impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
> graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
> That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
> take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

1) I think you are mistaken to do that many does not require CSS3 and no
one will be using so old as not to support CSS.

2) CSS makes your button both
a) more flexible: you can change colors add borders, change text...
b) easier to maintain: no special software, just Notepad will do.

3) If you add CSS3 effects, non-supporting browsers will just ignore.

Add some hover effects and the shadow is CSS3, so if you are using an
older version of IE you will just lose the shadow, no biggie.

<head>

<title>Use CSS</title>

div#nav {
width: 11em; float: left; font-family: sans-serif;
}

/* smaller subtext */
div#nav a span { font-size: .7em; }

div#nav a {
text-decoration: none; display: block; margin: 5px;
padding: .5em; text-align: center;
}

/* you can add a CSS3 rule non-supporting browsers will ignore */
div#nav a { text-shadow: 2px 2px 2px #000; }

div#nav a:link, div#nav a:visited {
color: #ffffff; background: #1c508c;
}
div#nav a:hover, div#nav a:focus {
color: #ffff00; background: #7c9ec4;
}
div#nav a:active { color: #ff0000; background: #3c4e64; }

</head>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Erwin Moller 12-13-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

On 12/13/2011 3:32 PM, Mike Copeland wrote:
> I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
> been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
> (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
> desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
> the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
> can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
> possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
> information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
> impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
> graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
> That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
> take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

Hi,

Not sure if this is 100% legal, but you can still get the
endless-evaluation version of PSP 4.12.

http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php

It is the only graphics software I have ever used. ;-)
It is extremely easy to use.

(Disclaimer: I am a programmer, not a designer.)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

Ray_Net 12-13-2011 10:03 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

In article <4ee7790d$0$6969$e4fe514c@news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
Since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_...y ourself.com says...

> On 12/13/2011 3:32 PM, Mike Copeland wrote:
> > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
> > been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
> > (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
> > desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
> > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
> > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
> > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
> > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
> > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
> > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
> > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
> > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
> > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is 100% legal, but you can still get the
> endless-evaluation version of PSP 4.12.
>
> http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php
>
> It is the only graphics software I have ever used. ;-)
> It is extremely easy to use.

License: Trialware
And Windows 7 is not in the list of Supported Systems.

Jukka K. Korpela 12-13-2011 10:17 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

2011-12-13 17:40, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Mike Copeland wrote:

[...]
>> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
>> the navigation buttons.

[...]
> 2) CSS makes your button both
> a) more flexible: you can change colors add borders, change text...
> b) easier to maintain: no special software, just Notepad will do.

Certainly! And the approach of using styled text on styled background is
also good for search engines. It will avoid awkward texts like "Home
button" and will leave just the essential text there. (Surely alt texts
could be written properly, but this seems to be impossible to mortals.
But they _can_ write proper button texts, as they actually see them in
action. :-))

> 3) If you add CSS3 effects, non-supporting browsers will just ignore.

For example, you could specify rounded borders using border-radius, and
browsers would either obey that or use normal borders. No harm done.

This reminds me... (although that meta tag as such is mostly practically
useless)... if you ever need or wish to translate your page to other
languages, styled text is surely a better basis than text in images.
(Professional translation agencies can deliver you translations of
images, but translating texts is surely safer and cheaper.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jonathan N. Little 12-14-2011 12:12 AM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> This reminds me... (although that meta tag as such is mostly practically
> useless)...

Leftover old template...just have bothered to update it...let's see
where the hell does Win7 now stick then...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Denis McMahon 12-14-2011 10:02 AM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:32:36 -0700, Mike Copeland wrote:

> I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have been
> asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site (www.raceplaceevents.com)
> is going through changes in ownership, and the desired modifications are
> in programming areas I don't know.
> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
> the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
> can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
> possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
> information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
> impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
> graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
> That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
> take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

Err, there are some very good free graphics manipulation programs about,
gimp is one that I've already seen mentioned and is easily capable of
changing colour x to colour y in a couple of gif images.

More worrying to me is that you've acquired responsibility for
maintaining a website, which is a visual presentation of an organization,
and seem to have no idea¬*of or prior access to or use of tools for
manipulating images.

Have you ever:

a) edited raw html in a text editor?
b) edited javascript in a text editor?
c) edited css styling in a text editor?

We already know the answer to (d) which was "edited an image".

e) used either "tidy" or the html validator at w3.org

I'm concerned here that you're way out of your depth and at the bottom of
a very steep learning curve, although I may of course be wrong.

Oh, and wrt (a), "export as html" from an application such as a
spreadsheet or word processor, or even using a "wysiwyg" (or as I prefer
to call them, wysiwymgiatb[1]) web-page designer really does not count as
editing raw html in a text editor, in fact it doesn't really count as
editing html at all.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

[1] wysiwymgiatb what you see is what you might get in a theoretical
browser

Mike Copeland 12-15-2011 03:34 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

> More worrying to me is that you've acquired responsibility for
> maintaining a website, which is a visual presentation of an organization,
> and seem to have no idea¬*of or prior access to or use of tools for
> manipulating images.
> Have you ever:
>
> a) edited raw html in a text editor?

Yes
> b) edited javascript in a text editor?

Yes
> c) edited css styling in a text editor?

Yes

> We already know the answer to (d) which was "edited an image".

No, of course not. Hence. the original query... 8<{{

> e) used either "tidy" or the html validator at w3.org

Yes

> I'm concerned here that you're way out of your depth and at the bottom of
> a very steep learning curve, although I may of course be wrong.

My (in)experience is with graphics and GUIs. I have been a computer
programmer for over 50 years - but I've never worked in graphics or
animation. Does this disqualify me from asking questions and guidance
in this forum?
I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
this particular effort. <sigh...>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 12-15-2011 03:53 PM

Re: Simple Web Page Buttons

Mike Copeland wrote:

> I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
> and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
> produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
> files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
> embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
> for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
> this particular effort. <sigh...>

Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:

You've programmed for 50 years; text buttons should be a snap!

--
-bts