Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806799-ot-validation-markup-errors-winner.html)

Adrienne Boswell 12-09-2011 06:04 PM

OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner

I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot out of
their sockets, there were so many.

And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
warnings.

Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
(XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &). I guess that's not too bad,
considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good example of
what NOT to do.

--
Adrienne Boswell
Arbpen Web Site Design Services - http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/

..

cwdjrxyz 12-10-2011 10:02 PM

Re: OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner

On Dec 9, 12:04*pm, Adrienne Boswell <arb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
> validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. *My eyes shot out of
> their sockets, there were so many.
>
> And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
> warnings.
>
> Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
> (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &). *I guess that's not too bad,
> considering there are 6,193 lines. *It's just a mess - a good example of
> what NOT to do.

Yes, this tops the number of errors I have ever seen on a web page.
The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
page with script turned off. The JavaScript snow effect reminded me of
one often used about 10+ years ago. It is a "new and improved" snow
script that is very long and has many options. The script may be
viewed at http://www.airliners.net/js/snowstorm.js . I nearly fell off
of my chair laughing when I looked at the Properties near the top of
the script. One line says:
this.snowColor='#fff'; //Don't eat (or use?) yellow snow . Also the
site of the owner of the snow script is quite different from the
usual. This "improved" snow Javascript did require quite a bit of
talent to write. However, you can do much more with a Java snow
script. One of the most complex Java applets I have seen produces
snow, wind, drifting mist, thunder and a marquee like effect, all of
which may be self started.

dorayme 12-10-2011 10:33 PM

Re: OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner

In article
<8d6e52cb-f113-4b42-9dba-4aaf0f19a8e7@z12g2000yqm.googlegroups.co
m>,
cwdjrxyz <spamtrap2@cwdjr.info> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 12:04*pm, Adrienne Boswell <arb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
> > warnings.

> The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
> page with script turned off.

Yes, it was the first thing I did and basically only to turn off
the snow but this had consequences. I hope the web site maker is
never allowed anywhere near the aircraft maintenance section or,
God forbid, the cockpits.

--
dorayme

dorayme 12-10-2011 10:38 PM

Re: OT: Validation Markup Errors Winner

In article <Xns9FB6668B07D2Farbpenyahoocom@88.198.244.100>,
Adrienne Boswell <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
> warnings.

Perhaps not many of these errors - as opposed to crummy design -
cause the significant user end troubles I am seeing?

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little 12-10-2011 10:44 PM

Huskies go here----+

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

P E Schoen 12-10-2011 11:44 PM

"Adrienne Boswell" wrote in message
news:Xns9FB6668B07D2Farbpenyahoocom@88.198.244.100 ...

> I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
> validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot
> out of their sockets, there were so many.

> And the winner is... <http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
> warnings.

> Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147
> errors (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping &). I guess that's not
> too bad, considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good
> example of what NOT to do.

Amazing. The "snow" caused the horizontal scroll bar to appear and
disappear, and my Norton 360 flagged "high CPU usage". I had a peak at the
HTML, and most of it is OPTIONs for the "search engine". ISTM such
information should be in a database and not hard coded in HTML. Another
oddity is duplicate </body> and <html> tags at the end.

What is "Demand Media Network"? The banner is not clickable. Are they the
ones that made this thing?

Otherwise, it is an interesting website.

Paul
www.muttleydog.com
..

cwdjrxyz 12-11-2011 04:11 AM

On Dec 10, 5:44*pm, "P E Schoen" <p...@pstech-inc.com> wrote:

> Amazing. The "snow" caused the horizontal scroll bar to appear and
> disappear, and my Norton 360 flagged "high CPU usage".

The problem with the scroll bar likely is in the snow script. Some of
the snow flakes likely move out of the range of the maximum screen
dimensions that can be viewed and this causes the scroll bar to appear
in an attempt to allow you to scroll and view it. The solution is to
write the script so that it does not allow any snow flakes to move out
of the range of maximum dimensions for which the monitor screen is
set. This, among other things, requires that you consider that
different monitor resolutions may be used. The moving scroll bar was a
very common problem for many old dhtml scripts. You would need to test
your page at several resolutions on different browsers to make sure
your dhtml script does not have "scrollitus". Also, back in IE4 and
NN4 days when modern JavaScript was just being introduced, you had to
often write three versions of script to work on most versions of
browsers then being used. In addition to modern Javascript , you had
to use document.all for IE and document.layers for NN, among many
other things, to produce dynamic dhtml effects. As for the high CPU
usage warning, that modern snow script is moving many more snowflakes
at the same time than was common many years ago. Each tiny bit of
movement for each snowflake must be computed using JavaScript math
functions resulting in very heavy CPU usage. On a much slower computer
that you might have used 10 years ago, the motion might slow down to a
near stall, or the computer might crash.

Norman Peelman 12-11-2011 06:24 AM

On 12/10/2011 05:02 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Dec 9, 12:04 pm, Adrienne Boswell<arb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I was taking a look at a site someone wants to emulate, sent it to the
>> validator and was astounded by the amount of errors. My eyes shot out of
>> their sockets, there were so many.
>>
>> And the winner is...<http://airliners.net> with 11,092 errors and 242
>> warnings.
>>
>> Even changing the doctype to HTML Transitional, there are 147 errors
>> (XHTML tags, missing alt, not escaping&). I guess that's not too bad,
>> considering there are 6,193 lines. It's just a mess - a good example of
>> what NOT to do.

> Yes, this tops the number of errors I have ever seen on a web page.
> The page uses a lot of JavaScript, so it is interesting to view the
> page with script turned off. The JavaScript snow effect reminded me of
> one often used about 10+ years ago. It is a "new and improved" snow
> script that is very long and has many options. The script may be
> viewed at http://www.airliners.net/js/snowstorm.js . I nearly fell off
> of my chair laughing when I looked at the Properties near the top of
> the script. One line says:
> this.snowColor='#fff'; //Don't eat (or use?) yellow snow . Also the
> site of the owner of the snow script is quite different from the
> usual. This "improved" snow Javascript did require quite a bit of
> talent to write. However, you can do much more with a Java snow
> script. One of the most complex Java applets I have seen produces
> snow, wind, drifting mist, thunder and a marquee like effect, all of
> which may be self started.

That damned snow script sends my dual core into overdrive.

Script off = 1 GHz
Script on = 3.2 GHz

Uggh!

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062

P E Schoen 12-13-2011 11:29 PM

Re: Validation Markup Errors Winner

"Norman Peelman" wrote in message news:jc1iaj$ou8$1@dont-email.me...

> That damned snow script sends my dual core into overdrive.

> Script off = 1 GHz
> Script on = 3.2 GHz

> Uggh!

Actually, it is trying to heat up the CPU to melt the snow :)

It caused a warning from my Norton 360 of high CPU usage. So unnecessary.
Would it be possible to use an animated GIF as a background? I'm not curious
enough to try it, but it seems like a better option than a huge JavaScript
function apparently controlling the movement of each flake. I don't know why
they even need snow for an "airliner" web page. Probably something the web
designer thought was "cool".

Paul
www.muttleydog.com