Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I have in my computer? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806563-does-anyone-know-how-i-can-tell-exactly-what-motherboard-i-have-in-my-computer.html)

I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET 12-04-2011 12:03 AM

Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I have in my computer?

I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
this from device manager...?

Paul 12-04-2011 12:55 AM

Re: Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I havein my computer?

I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET wrote:
> I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
> made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
> this from device manager...?

Belarc Advisor, CPU-Z, or perhaps the free version of Everest ?
(Note - do not cut and paste the output of those programs, without
first removing any software license keys from the listing! Belarc
has license keys listed.)

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.59-32bits-en.zip

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Or something called DMI Explorer might do it. On Asus motherboards,
the Asus Probe program has a DMI Explorer, which prints out strings
stored in the BIOS.

Another option would be to start the computer, and as long as the BIOS
is not in "fancy logo" mode, you see text as the computer boots up.
(You can enter the BIOS and turn off the logo, to reveal a text-based bootup.)
There will be a "BIOS string" printed on the screen. You press the
"pause" key, so the text stops, then write down the string and
Google it. The BIOS string should be unique (1 string per motherboard),
except in cases of Chinese knock-offs, where a BIOS string is cribbed
from another motherboard. Generally, manufacturers pay in some way,
for the BIOS, and the exception is knock-offs, where the BIOS is
just copied from another product.

If I look in Everest, for my motherboard, I can see:

Motherboard ID 65-0501-000001-00101111-120809-Bearlake$A1033000_BIOS
DATE: 12/08/09 21:16:00 VER: 08.00.12

If I were to reboot the computer now, it's possible that long string is the
"BIOS string" printed on the screen during bootup. Everest is probably
getting that from BIOS DMI.

When I ran that string through Google just now, one site listed this info:

"System Summary

Model: P5E Deluxe
BIOS type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 65-0501-000001-00101111-120809-Bearlake
BIOS sign on: A1033000
BIOS date: 2009.12.08
Chipset: Intel 29E0 rev 1"

The BIOS sign on, could be related to the PCB revision. On Asus
motherboards, they may make three versions and the third version
is the one that ships. The others are prototypes or mistake cleanups.

There are some motherboards, made by "PC Chips" company, where the
motherboard bears no markings of any kind. (Most motherboards have
a label in white letters, silk screened onto the motherboard.)
There used to be a site called "PC Chips lotto", where users
would try and figure out the motherboard name, based on scant
evidence. That's an example of a "worst case brand", due to the
difficulty of identification.

Companies like HP, get OEM motherboards from Asus, Foxconn or
others. Even Intel branded motherboards, are made by other companies.
(Foxconn has half a million employees, and they have to be doing something :-) )
In the case of HP, if you enter the model number of the machine,
the HP web site gives pretty good hardware specifications, including
the motherboard name. So you may not necessarily even need Belarc
or the others, to get some info on the build.

For double checking, you can also look at photos on Ebay for
the motherboard. Say the motherboard name was "Albatross",
you'd go to Ebay and search for "HP Albatross motherboard"
and with some luck, you might see variants available for it
as original replacement stock (they would be "pulled" from
de-commissioned computers). Some computers, may have had
slightly different revisions used in the same casing. Using the
Ebay pictures, you can confirm your motherboard looks the same.

The hardest part of changing the motherboard, is software
activation. The OS may not want to run on the new motherboard,
as the software is also "OEM" and not transferable to other
hardware. So if you were going to change out the Celeron
in there, for a new Core i7, it may end up costing you
the price of a new OS as well. The OS is referred to as
"branded OEM", meaning there is a scheme to tell it is
running an HP box. This is a whole other area of research.

Paul

Jeff Strickland 12-04-2011 04:47 PM

Re: Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I have in my computer?

"I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET" <fishermans.cove@comcast.net> wrote in
message
>I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
> made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
> this from device manager...?

You mean besides taking the cover off and reading the name and model number
printed on the board itself? No.

Use another machine and plug the discriptors that are printed on the board
into the SEARCH box of your favorite browser. For example, the board might
say FX372-900-ATS, whatever, someplace -- look in the vicinity of the
processor and work your way out -- into the search box of Yahoo or Google.
As you type the first three of four characters, the rest of the designation
appear on a list of possible hits.

James D Andrews 12-06-2011 06:07 AM

Re: Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I have in my computer?

I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET was thinking very hard and all he
could come up with was:
> I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
> made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
> this from device manager...?

There are numerous system information programs you can download for
free that provide information on your system.

I use PC Wizard 2010 the most
http://www.freewarefiles.com/PC-Wiza...ram_14191.html

There's also
HWiNFO32. It's popular.
http://www.freewarefiles.com/HWiNFO3...ram_44315.html

Or:
Everest Home
http://www.freewarefiles.com/Everest...ram_13509.html

You could go to the Utilities: Benchmark & Diagnostics section of any
freeware site, such as this one, and read the descriptions and reviews
to find one you like.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/category_9_91.html

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

Bville 12-13-2011 11:31 AM

Download this nice little utility at www.cpuid.com

- Bobb - 12-13-2011 11:58 PM

"Bville" <bvillenospam@aol.com> wrote in message
> On 12/3/2011 6:03 PM, I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET wrote:
>> I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
>> made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
>> this from device manager...?

> Download this nice little utility at www.cpuid.com

Can that run from CD, or does the system have to boot/ be up and running?

Ask because a friend has an HP box that won't boot and if a new motherboard
is cheap enough it could be salvaged.
Thanks

Jeff Strickland 12-14-2011 04:21 PM

> "Bville" <bvillenospam@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On 12/3/2011 6:03 PM, I-PRACTICALLY-INVENTED-THE-INTERNET wrote:
>>> I would like to upgrade it, HP won't tell me, and for all I know they
>>> made this thing. Is there a serial number somewhere, or can I access
>>> this from device manager...?

>> Download this nice little utility at www.cpuid.com

> Can that run from CD, or does the system have to boot/ be up and running?
>
> Ask because a friend has an HP box that won't boot and if a new
> motherboard is cheap enough it could be salvaged.
> Thanks

That's a confusing statement, Bobb...

If the current motherboard is toast, then it doesn't matter what it is
because if you replace it then all you care about are the specs of the new
board. You can remove the board and carry it to the computer parts store
where they will easily know exactly what it is, although it isn't very
important because any new board should fit UNLESS you have a very small
case -- which means a very large board will not fit.

Boards have the mounting holes drilled in standardized locations, so all you
care about is the ability of the board to physically be wedged into the
case -- if the board fits into the confines of the box then it will align to
the mounting points.

When you get a new board, you will likely want new RAM and a new CPU, so
none of the specs of the old board matter.

You can easily get a very nice motherboard/CPU as a packaged set for $125.
You can perhaps get the set for less, but if you go in with a budget of
$125, you will be sure to walk out with something. If you have $200, then
you can get a killer setup, including several gigs of RAM.

- Bobb - 12-15-2011 01:44 AM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> "Bville" <bvillenospam@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Download this nice little utility at www.cpuid.com

>> Can that run from CD, or does the system have to boot/ be up and running?
>>
>> Ask because a friend has an HP box that won't boot and if a new
>> motherboard is cheap enough it could be salvaged.
>> Thanks
>>

> That's a confusing statement, Bobb...
>
> If the current motherboard is toast, then it doesn't matter what it is
> because if you replace it then all you care about are the specs of the new
> board. You can remove the board and carry it to the computer parts store
> where they will easily know exactly what it is, although it isn't very
> important because any new board should fit UNLESS you have a very small
> case -- which means a very large board will not fit.
>
> Boards have the mounting holes drilled in standardized locations, so all
> you care about is the ability of the board to physically be wedged into
> the case -- if the board fits into the confines of the box then it will
> align to the mounting points.
>
> When you get a new board, you will likely want new RAM and a new CPU, so
> none of the specs of the old board matter.
>
> You can easily get a very nice motherboard/CPU as a packaged set for $125.
> You can perhaps get the set for less, but if you go in with a budget of
> $125, you will be sure to walk out with something. If you have $200, then
> you can get a killer setup, including several gigs of RAM.

Hi Jeff,

Buying "just another board" does him no good - would need to buy, then
reinstall Vista ... not interested.

His Pc has 3ghz CPU , 3gb of memory but Vista doesn't complete the boot.
Suspect the motherboard but that's as far as he's gotten. He bought a Lenovo
replacement PC ($450) for now. For the "bad HP PC", the only license he has
is OEM from that model , so IF he could get another of the same
motherboard - i.e pop his old one out, swap CPU, memory and pop the new one
in , hook up cables and boot - without reinstalling Vista etc , then he'd
rather do that than me trying to fix it next week ( trying to get his data
off the disk).

Bville 12-15-2011 01:28 PM

Re: Does anyone know how I can tell exactly what motherboard I havein my computer?

Has to be booted up.

Bville

Jeff Strickland 12-15-2011 08:51 PM

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bville" <bvillenospam@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Can that run from CD, or does the system have to boot/ be up and
>>> running?
>>>
>>> Ask because a friend has an HP box that won't boot and if a new
>>> motherboard is cheap enough it could be salvaged.
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> That's a confusing statement, Bobb...
>>
>> If the current motherboard is toast, then it doesn't matter what it is
>> because if you replace it then all you care about are the specs of the
>> new board. You can remove the board and carry it to the computer parts
>> store where they will easily know exactly what it is, although it isn't
>> very important because any new board should fit UNLESS you have a very
>> small case -- which means a very large board will not fit.
>>
>> Boards have the mounting holes drilled in standardized locations, so all
>> you care about is the ability of the board to physically be wedged into
>> the case -- if the board fits into the confines of the box then it will
>> align to the mounting points.
>>
>> When you get a new board, you will likely want new RAM and a new CPU, so
>> none of the specs of the old board matter.
>>
>> You can easily get a very nice motherboard/CPU as a packaged set for
>> $125. You can perhaps get the set for less, but if you go in with a
>> budget of $125, you will be sure to walk out with something. If you have
>> $200, then you can get a killer setup, including several gigs of RAM.
>>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Buying "just another board" does him no good - would need to buy, then
> reinstall Vista ... not interested.
>

> His Pc has 3ghz CPU , 3gb of memory but Vista doesn't complete the boot.
> Suspect the motherboard but that's as far as he's gotten. He bought a
> Lenovo replacement PC ($450) for now. For the "bad HP PC", the only
> license he has is OEM from that model , so IF he could get another of the
> same motherboard - i.e pop his old one out, swap CPU, memory and pop the
> new one in , hook up cables and boot - without reinstalling Vista etc ,
> then he'd rather do that than me trying to fix it next week ( trying to
> get his data off the disk).

You said that, "if a new motherboard is cheap enough it could be salvaged,"
which is a nonsensical thing to say as a follow-up question about whether a
utility works from boot or if it needs a working machine.

If a new motherboard is cheap enough, then it does not matter what the specs
are of the one that does not boot.

And the one that does not boot is more likely to be a problem with the boot
sector of the HDD than a problem with the motherboard, so that brings us
back to a utility that tells you the specs of the motherboard not helping.

The OS lives in the HDD, and swapping the motherboard does not change that.
The motherboard comes with a CD to load drivers, and you seem to be
suggesting that if one bought the same motherboard then he would not need to
reload drivers, I suppose there could be some logic there but I've never
gone to the trouble of finding the same motherboard. But in any event, if
one could plug the HDD into a new board, then the existing installation of
the OS would survive and there would be no need to reinstall the OS. If one
found the exact same motherboard, then one may avoid having to search for
and install drivers to support it because they would already be on the HDD.
I'm not sure this is true, but I follow the logic... One would not need to
reinstall the OS, but one may need

If you wanted to find the specs of a motherboard, you can simply enter the
information PRINTED on the motherboard into the searchbox of your favorite
browser, and there would be more information than you ever dreampt of
knowing that would magically appear on your monitor. Input the computer
model number, ie: HP a6010n, into the search box on Yahoo and see what comes
up.