Velocity Reviews

-   -   [NEWS] Telstra & Vodafone slower (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806508-news-telstra-and-vodafone-slower.html)

Your Name 12-01-2011 08:35 PM

[NEWS] Telstra & Vodafone slower

From yesterday's NZ Herald (Thursday, 1 December) ...

Telstra, Vodafone slower: survey
--------------------------------
TelstraClear and Vodafone internet customers
suffer far more congestion at peak times than
those of their competitors, data from broadband
testing service TrueNet shows. TrueNet examined
the variation in speeds of internet providers
and found Vodafone's service fell to 75 per cent
of peak speed at 7pm, while TelstraClear's
service fell to roughly 85 per cent of peak
speed at 8pm. The figures relate to testing over
November and were released yesterday.

What a non-surprise, Vodafone is the worst at yet something else. :-\

Frank Williams 12-01-2011 10:33 PM

Re: [NEWS] Telstra & Vodafone slower

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:35:20 +1300, yourname@yourisp.com (Your Name)
wrote:

>From yesterday's NZ Herald (Thursday, 1 December) ...
>
> Telstra, Vodafone slower: survey
> --------------------------------
> TelstraClear and Vodafone internet customers
> suffer far more congestion at peak times than
> those of their competitors, data from broadband
> testing service TrueNet shows. TrueNet examined
> the variation in speeds of internet providers
> and found Vodafone's service fell to 75 per cent
> of peak speed at 7pm, while TelstraClear's
> service fell to roughly 85 per cent of peak
> speed at 8pm. The figures relate to testing over
> November and were released yesterday.
>

>What a non-surprise, Vodafone is the worst at yet something else. :-\

Cable or ADSL ??

victor 12-01-2011 10:59 PM

On 2/12/2011 9:35 a.m., Your Name wrote:
> From yesterday's NZ Herald (Thursday, 1 December) ...
>
> Telstra, Vodafone slower: survey
> --------------------------------
> TelstraClear and Vodafone internet customers
> suffer far more congestion at peak times than
> those of their competitors, data from broadband
> testing service TrueNet shows. TrueNet examined
> the variation in speeds of internet providers
> and found Vodafone's service fell to 75 per cent
> of peak speed at 7pm, while TelstraClear's
> service fell to roughly 85 per cent of peak
> speed at 8pm. The figures relate to testing over
> November and were released yesterday.
>

> What a non-surprise, Vodafone is the worst at yet something else. :-\

YMMV
Telstraclear has both cable and adsl broadband which might not even
share a common backbone.
Catalyst / Truenet should separate out the two rather than aggregating
by brand.
Otherwise it just looks like research for hire.

Your Name 12-02-2011 12:25 AM

Re: [NEWS] Telstra & Vodafone slower

In article <q50gd7dvc0atm0cqdk0opeg4oglpknf69t@4ax.com>, Frank Williams
<FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:35:20 +1300, yourname@yourisp.com (Your Name)
> wrote:
> >
> >From yesterday's NZ Herald (Thursday, 1 December) ...
> >
> > Telstra, Vodafone slower: survey
> > --------------------------------
> > TelstraClear and Vodafone internet customers
> > suffer far more congestion at peak times than
> > those of their competitors, data from broadband
> > testing service TrueNet shows. TrueNet examined
> > the variation in speeds of internet providers
> > and found Vodafone's service fell to 75 per cent
> > of peak speed at 7pm, while TelstraClear's
> > service fell to roughly 85 per cent of peak
> > speed at 8pm. The figures relate to testing over
> > November and were released yesterday.
> >

> >What a non-surprise, Vodafone is the worst at yet something else. :-\

> Cable or ADSL ??

No idea - that's all it said in the newspaper. It might tell you on the
TrueNet website, if there is one and if the released report is on there.

victor 12-02-2011 02:48 AM

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/telstra...open-ck-102828

~misfit~ 12-03-2011 01:34 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 2/12/2011 1:25 p.m., Your Name wrote:
>> In article<q50gd7dvc0atm0cqdk0opeg4oglpknf69t@4ax.com >, Frank
>> Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:

>>> Cable or ADSL ??

>> No idea - that's all it said in the newspaper. It might tell you on
>> the TrueNet website, if there is one and if the released report is
>> on there.

> http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/telstra...open-ck-102828

No mention of Actrix anywhere. I find them to consistently be by far the
best and fastest provider I've used (either my own account or at someone's
place) regardless of time of day. Sure, they *do* slow down a little at peak
times but you'd only notice it if you were maxxing your connection out at
the time.

Actually, in retrospect, it's good that Actrix aren't widely mentioned
(other than in Consumer reports). A mass exodous of leechers or gamers could
possibly ruin it.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."