Velocity Reviews

-   -   Converting MS Access DB to Postgres or MySQL for ORM support withSQLalchemy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806427-converting-ms-access-db-to-postgres-or-mysql-for-orm-support-withsqlalchemy.html)

Alec Taylor 11-30-2011 04:49 AM

Converting MS Access DB to Postgres or MySQL for ORM support withSQLalchemy

Good afternoon,

I was recently shown that my client runs MS Access everywhere, rather
than a "real" database. There are many features they would be missing
that something like a django frontend would provide.

So I would like to move them to Postgres or MySQL (since MS Access
support was been dropped after 0.4).

But I would also like to move there schema &etc to ORM, for easy
editing with SQLalchemy (or similar).

What approach would you recommend?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

Miki Tebeka 11-30-2011 02:55 PM

Re: Converting MS Access DB to Postgres or MySQL for ORM support withSQLalchemy

You can read data using win32com (ADODB?) and then write it to the desired database using the right package (psycopg2 ...).

See example for reading data at http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...ch/004420.html

Miki Tebeka 11-30-2011 02:55 PM