Velocity Reviews

-   -   Betamax soft-phone echo (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806409-betamax-soft-phone-echo.html)

James 11-29-2011 04:48 PM

Betamax soft-phone echo

My Betamax (SMSListo) VOIP works fine with an ATA (Linksys PAP2-NA).
However, I like to use the softphone with the PC speaker (turned down
very low) and a microphone around my neck.
Everybody complains about the echo (~2 sec delayed).

I never get complaints of echo with Skype, even with the PC speaker
quite loud.

I suppose the obvious comment is Skype has excellent echo
cancellation, but Betamax does not.

Any comments or solutions.

Thanks.

McBart 11-29-2011 07:34 PM

Re: Betamax soft-phone echo

On 2011-11-29 17:48:36 +0100, James said:

> My Betamax (SMSListo) VOIP works fine with an ATA (Linksys PAP2-NA).
> However, I like to use the softphone with the PC speaker (turned down
> very low) and a microphone around my neck.
> Everybody complains about the echo (~2 sec delayed).
>
> I never get complaints of echo with Skype, even with the PC speaker
> quite loud.
>
> I suppose the obvious comment is Skype has excellent echo
> cancellation, but Betamax does not.
>
> Any comments or solutions.
>
> Thanks.

Use a full headset and see if that helps. If it does it's the absence
of the echo cancelation

--

McBart

James 11-29-2011 10:23 PM

Re: Betamax soft-phone echo

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:34:18 +0100, McBart wrote:

>On 2011-11-29 17:48:36 +0100, James said:
>
>> My Betamax (SMSListo) VOIP works fine with an ATA (Linksys PAP2-NA).
>> However, I like to use the softphone with the PC speaker (turned down
>> very low) and a microphone around my neck.
>> Everybody complains about the echo (~2 sec delayed).
>>
>> I never get complaints of echo with Skype, even with the PC speaker
>> quite loud.
>>
>> I suppose the obvious comment is Skype has excellent echo
>> cancellation, but Betamax does not.
>>
>> Any comments or solutions.
>>
>> Thanks.

>Use a full headset and see if that helps. If it does it's the absence
>of the echo cancelation

It does help - a lot.
So basically it ssems there is no / poor echo cancelation on the
Betamax softphone, where Skype does an excellent job.

Graham. 12-01-2011 08:18 PM

Re: Betamax soft-phone echo

On 30/11/2011 21:59, alexd wrote:
> James (for it is he) wrote:
>
>> So basically it ssems there is no / poor echo cancelation on the
>> Betamax softphone, where Skype does an excellent job.

> The upside of SIP, of course, is that you can use any SIP client you want.

X-Lite is probably the most ubiquitous one
At least these 3rd party ones don't keep loging themselves out if the
account is registered somewhere else, like the official Betamax
softphone does.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%