Velocity Reviews

-   -   td tag border (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t806111-td-tag-border.html)

Haris Bogdanovich 11-20-2011 07:50 PM

td tag border

Why the td tag has no border
if it's empty ?
How to fix that ?

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 11-20-2011 07:53 PM

Re: td tag border

Haris Bogdanovich wrote:

> Why the td tag has no border
> if it's empty ?
> How to fix that ?

I see a lot of this: <td>&nbsp;</td>

--
-bts

Jukka K. Korpela 11-20-2011 08:32 PM

Re: td tag border

2011-11-20 21:53, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Haris Bogdanovich wrote:
>
>> Why the td tag has no border
>> if it's empty ?
>> How to fix that ?

> I see a lot of this:<td>&nbsp;</td>

Yes, and it usually helps, but sometimes it's not applicable. Using the
no-break space implies some minimal width and height for the cell, and
this might not desirable in contexts where a cell with empty contents is
used.

Workarounds include the use of a single-pixel transparent image. But
usually solutions are better than workarounds: ask yourself why the cell
is empty, and you may find a reason to put some actual content there.
More on this:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML/emptycells.html

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ray_Net 11-20-2011 11:07 PM

Re: td tag border

In article <jabo52$fn5$1@dont-email.me>, jkorpela@cs.tut.fi says...

> 2011-11-20 21:53, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>
> > Haris Bogdanovich wrote:
> >
> >> Why the td tag has no border
> >> if it's empty ?
> >> How to fix that ?

> > I see a lot of this:<td>&nbsp;</td>

> Yes, and it usually helps, but sometimes it's not applicable. Using the
> no-break space implies some minimal width and height for the cell, and
> this might not desirable in contexts where a cell with empty contents is
> used.
>
> Workarounds include the use of a single-pixel transparent image. But
> usually solutions are better than workarounds: ask yourself why the cell
> is empty, and you may find a reason to put some actual content there.
> More on this:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML/emptycells.html

Very good examples in your page rendered differently if using IE9 or
SeaMonkey. With SeaMonkey, we dont have a border for the two cases and
for the one pixel picture, the row is minimized with SeaMonkey and as
high as the other with IE9.

Jukka K. Korpela 11-21-2011 09:27 AM

Re: td tag border

2011-11-21 1:07, Ray_Net wrote:

>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML/emptycells.html

> Very good examples in your page rendered differently if using IE9 or
> SeaMonkey. With SeaMonkey, we dont have a border for the two cases and
> for the one pixel picture, the row is minimized with SeaMonkey and as
> high as the other with IE9.

I'm not sure of what you mean here. I just downloaded and installed
SeaMonkey on Windows 7 Pro and checked the page on it. As far as I can
see, SeaMonkey draws borders around cells containing &nbsp;.

And both on IE 9 and Seamonkey show a "minimized" row when the only cell
contains only a one-pixel image. (The row is a few pixels high due to
default cellpadding.)

Are you using some special environment or setting=

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ray_Net 11-21-2011 11:55 PM

Re: td tag border

In article <jad5h5$tu1$1@dont-email.me>, jkorpela@cs.tut.fi says...

> 2011-11-21 1:07, Ray_Net wrote:
>
> >> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/HTML/emptycells.html

> > Very good examples in your page rendered differently if using IE9 or
> > SeaMonkey. With SeaMonkey, we dont have a border for the two cases and
> > for the one pixel picture, the row is minimized with SeaMonkey and as
> > high as the other with IE9.

> I'm not sure of what you mean here. I just downloaded and installed
> SeaMonkey on Windows 7 Pro and checked the page on it. As far as I can
> see, SeaMonkey draws borders around cells containing &nbsp;.
>
> And both on IE 9 and Seamonkey show a "minimized" row when the only cell
> contains only a one-pixel image. (The row is a few pixels high due to
> default cellpadding.)
>
> Are you using some special environment or setting=

All my settings are the default settings.
You can see the screen-copies SM-1, SM-2, IE9-1 and IE9-2 here
http://cjoint.com/?0KwaY0MytYX

BootNic 11-22-2011 03:27 AM

Re: td tag border

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:27:02 +0200
"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:

[snip]

> And both on IE 9 and Seamonkey show a "minimized" row when the only cell
> contains only a one-pixel image. (The row is a few pixels high due to
> default cellpadding.)

As they do with an empty cell yes?

[snip]

--
BootNic Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 pm
"They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them

BootNic 11-22-2011 03:39 AM

Re: td tag border

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 20:50:21 +0100
"Haris Bogdanovich" <fbogdanovic@xnet.hr> wrote:

> Why the td tag has no border if it's empty ? How to fix that ?

Update the browser.

Failing in that effort … one may try to add frame="border" to thetable.

http://<br /> https://docs.google.co...hl=en_US<br />

--
BootNic Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 pm
The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange

Jukka K. Korpela 11-22-2011 10:49 PM

Re: td tag border

2011-11-22 1:55, Ray_Net wrote:

> You can see the screen-copies SM-1, SM-2, IE9-1 and IE9-2 here
> http://cjoint.com/?0KwaY0MytYX

Thank you, this helps. The SeaMonkey rendering seems to have borders
around the empty cell - but the border style is the browser default,
which may not look like a real border. I have modified my page
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/emptycells.html
to set border style, color, and width more prominent.

On IE, it's more complicated. The rendering on IE 9 depends on the
browser mode and on its idea of document mode - a real mess. If you F12
on IE 9, you can test the effects of various modes. In the modern modes,
IE 9 shows a border even around empty cells, so the problem does not
appear there. But the dual problem exists: if you do _not_ want borders
around an empty cell, you need to explicitly prevent them. Luckily this
is easy on modern browsers using CSS (either set empty-cells: show on
the table element or set border: none on the cell).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ray_Net 11-23-2011 10:33 AM

Re: td tag border

In article <jah8tc$qok$1@dont-email.me>, jkorpela@cs.tut.fi says...

> 2011-11-22 1:55, Ray_Net wrote:
>
> > You can see the screen-copies SM-1, SM-2, IE9-1 and IE9-2 here
> > http://cjoint.com/?0KwaY0MytYX

> Thank you, this helps. The SeaMonkey rendering seems to have borders
> around the empty cell - but the border style is the browser default,
> which may not look like a real border. I have modified my page
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/emptycells.html
> to set border style, color, and width more prominent.
>
> On IE, it's more complicated. The rendering on IE 9 depends on the
> browser mode and on its idea of document mode - a real mess. If you F12
> on IE 9, you can test the effects of various modes. In the modern modes,
> IE 9 shows a border even around empty cells, so the problem does not
> appear there. But the dual problem exists: if you do _not_ want borders
> around an empty cell, you need to explicitly prevent them. Luckily this
> is easy on modern browsers using CSS (either set empty-cells: show on
> the table element or set border: none on the cell).

There is still a problem on the example number 4 with the little pic of
one pixel in the cell. With SM the row height is null - with IE9 this
row have the same height as the others.