Velocity Reviews

-   -   TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t805879-tv-to-hard-disk-recording-noob-advice-please.html)

Lodi 11-13-2011 11:22 PM

TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

Hi all...

Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.

Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
life anyway)

Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)

Thanks much
Lodi

Bruce Sinclair 11-14-2011 12:52 AM

Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

In article <j9pjg7$qt$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:
>Hi all...
>
>Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>
>Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
>does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>
>Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
>obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
>DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
>life anyway)

DVD-RWs are about $2 a disk from warehouse or Jaycar. After 3 years
(mostly running 10 of the Jaycar ones), we are yet to have one that doesn't
work. Much cheaper than throw away DVDs. :)

>Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
>possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
>advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
>my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

Red and white are sound IIRC and the yellow is the video. We have run
computer (running vista !$#%$#) video to an old TV without problems.
Probably getting the right cable is all you need to do here ?

>Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)

:) Sort of not directly related ... there are windows based 'media systems'
out there that are basically what you want (I think :) ) for around
$300-$500. My understanding (which could be wrong :) ) is that the hard part
of doing this with penguins is the TV tuner card. Some do not play well with
linux. That typed, there are sites out there that rate hardware for
compatibility etc., so check them out before buying/trying things ?

My next penguin will be KDE and mint flavoured and probably version 10
based, (to get a stable version with all the "necessary" media things
included). Perhaps a mint penguin could be useful for you as well ? Add a
comaptible TV tuner card, VLC, and all might be well ? :)

Good luck ... and let us know how you get on. Might be something I want to
do in future. :)

Thanks

Frank Williams 11-14-2011 01:43 AM

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:

>Hi all...
>
>Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>
>Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
>does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>
>Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
>obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
>DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
>life anyway)
>
>Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
>possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
>advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
>my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

Go get a DishTV T1020 STB PVR as around $135 was the latest low
price and a WD 500Gb USB powered hard drive, at around $90 or even less
this has replaced one of my VCR's, this is hard to beet for price.

Lodi 11-14-2011 02:29 AM

Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

> Frank Williams wrote:

>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:

>>Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
>>sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.

> Go get a DishTV T1020 STB PVR as around $135 was the latest low
> price and a WD 500Gb USB powered hard drive, at around $90 or even less
> this has replaced one of my VCR's, this is hard to beet for price.

Hello Frank...

Thanks for the reply.

Downloaded the manual for the T1020 STB PVR and as far as I can make out
there's no input to the unit apart from a UHF aerial.

Can't see how to run a Sky decoder through it. Is the T1020 "locked in" to
Freeview.

Don't know much about Freeview but it seems very limited in channels (how do
I get the Rugby Channel :-)

The basic unit is the right idea (namely a box that records TV onto a hard
disk) and the price is right.

But if Freeview-based PVR's are all we can get in NZ I may need to look at a
capture card.

Thanks again
Lodi

PeeCee 11-14-2011 06:56 AM

On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>
> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
> does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>
> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
> life anyway)
>
> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
> advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
> my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
>
> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)
>
> Thanks much
> Lodi

Lodi

(by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
the A/V outputs of a a Media device)

If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
DVB-S/T tuner attachment.

They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
a Dish TV box.

OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.

As a standalone could be refined to the task required.

Best
Paul.

Gordon 11-14-2011 07:50 AM

On 2011-11-13, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>
> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
> does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

One suggestion.

Mythtv.

Mythbuntu.

Mythbuntu works okay. Can use as a desktop also.

Tricky parts I found are 1) Making sure the hardware (tuner) is supported 2)
finding the config values for NZ.

I would suggest that you put it on a seperate machine, or have good backups.
In my "fiddling" I messed things up some bad on more than one occassion.

This will allow you to put on one of the special MythTV distros. MythDora,
is another but the developer has had to give up as he has a 2.5 year old
which is taking his time.

http://www.harecoded.com/how-to-watc...tu-linux-99682

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...TV-31137.shtml
starting out version 0.something small.

Hauppauge does TV tuners in more flavours than an icecream shop. The
NOVA-S_Plus works with Linux and satellite reception.

I seem to remember their being a site for TV and Linux, what works etc.

Stephen Worthington 11-14-2011 08:01 AM

Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:22:45 +1300, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:

>Hi all...
>
>Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>
>Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
>does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>
>Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
>obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
>DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
>life anyway)
>
>Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
>possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
>advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
>my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
>
>Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)
>
>Thanks much
>Lodi

MythTV is the major Linux based TV system: http://mythtv.org. I run
Mythbuntu, which is a MythTV distro based on Ubuntu. But you can just
load the MythTV packages onto any standard Ubuntu system. Then you
need several key things:

1) Up to three DVB-T tuners (one per DVB-T multiplex: TVNZ, MediaWorks
and Kordia). Three allows you to allow you to record from all the
FreeviewHD channels at once, but lots of people make do with only two.

2) Or alternatively, if you are out of range of good DVB-T reception,
up to two DVB-S or DVB-S2 tuners to receive from satellite. You can
use your existing Sky dish.

3) An Nvidia video card running VDPAU drivers to do playback of DVB-T
recordings. It is not possible to adequately play back DVB-T
recordings without hardware acceleration of the H.264 video - just
using CPU power does not work. The card needs to be able to do the
best interlace modes to prevent slight jerkiness on playback. The
recommended card is a GT 220 model or better. I use a silent GT 220
(takes 2 slots). You can also do the recordings on a "backend" PC
that does not have an Nvidia card and the do the playback over
ethernet on a different PC running the MythTV "frontend" software.

4) To record from your Sky decoder, you need a card that will do
hardware encoding to MPEG2 format recordings, and is supported to
Linux. I use a PCI based Hauppauge PVR-500, but the recommended card
is a Hauppauge PVR-150. The PVR-500 is just two PVR-150s on the same
card. These are hard to get new, but do appear on TradeMe from time
to time. There may be other cards now that can do this, but you need
to be careful choosing them. You normally connect the Sky decoder to
the PVR-150 card with an S-Video cable for the best quality of
recordings, but composite video (your yellow cable) will work.

5) To get EPG, you can download the listings for Freeview from
http://nzepg.org.

6) To get EPG for Sky, you need to have a DVB-S or DVB-S2 card
installed, so that you can run epgsnoop to get the listings from the
EIT data broadcast on the Sky satellite channels. You can also get
the EIT data from the Freeview satellite channels and use that for the
Freeview EPG.

7) You need a fair amount of disk space. HD programs from TV3 or TV1
take 5-6 Gibytes per hour of recording. I recommend at least a 1
Tbyte drive. When recording from many channels at once, at least two
hard drives are necessary to keep up. I have three drives for
recordings and often record 4 or 5 channels at the same time.

To choose Linux compatible tuner cards, first look at
http://linuxtv.org - they have listings of things that do and don't
work, which are not always as up to date as we might like. Watch out
for the required kernel version - some will not work with the older
kernel used in 10.10. There are lots of USB DVB-T tuners available,
including some that turn up on TradeMe for around $30, such as the
Afatech based Kworld DVB-T 395UR ones. The Pinnacle PCTV Nano Stick
is the one I recommend though - you can get it for around $60 on
TradeMe. It has a more sensitive receiver and seems more reliable to
me. Or you can use the Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500 or Nova T-500 dual
PCI cards (dual USB based tuners on one card). On newer motherboards,
there are supported single and dual tuner PCIe cards, but these are
usually more expensive that the USB tuners from TradeMe.

There is a MythTVNZ mailing list for help in getting it all to work -
Google should find it for you.

Frank Williams 11-14-2011 08:58 AM

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:56:36 +1300, PeeCee <abuse@local.host> wrote:

>On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>>
>> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly. So
>> does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>>
>> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
>> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
>> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a limited
>> life anyway)
>>
>> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
>> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around. Any
>> advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow sockets of
>> my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
>>
>> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)
>>
>> Thanks much
>> Lodi

>Lodi
>
>(by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
>can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
>the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
>
>If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
>a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
>DVB-S/T tuner attachment.

Yes but will it run on a Lunix system..???

Lodi 11-14-2011 09:44 AM

Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

> Gordon wrote:

> On 2011-11-13, Lodi <lodi@ccr.com> wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>>
>> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
>> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.

> One suggestion.
>
> Mythtv.
>
> Mythbuntu.
>
> Mythbuntu works okay. Can use as a desktop also.
>
> Tricky parts I found are 1) Making sure the hardware (tuner) is supported
> 2) finding the config values for NZ.
>
> I would suggest that you put it on a seperate machine, or have good
> backups. In my "fiddling" I messed things up some bad on more than one
> occassion.
>
> This will allow you to put on one of the special MythTV distros. MythDora,
> is another but the developer has had to give up as he has a 2.5 year old
> which is taking his time.
>
> http://www.harecoded.com/how-to-watc...ith-pc-ubuntu-

linux-99682

> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...TV-31137.shtml
> starting out version 0.something small.
>
> Hauppauge does TV tuners in more flavours than an icecream shop. The
> NOVA-S_Plus works with Linux and satellite reception.
>

> I seem to remember their being a site for TV and Linux, what works etc.

Thanks Gordon. Mythbuntu seems to be the way I should be heading. Just have
to sort out a card and a box to run it in.

Am always nervous about buying hardware that I've never bought before i.e a
capture card. Mainly Linux compatibility worries. Thanks for the Hauppauge
recommendation.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 11-14-2011 09:52 AM

Re: TV to hard disk recording - Noob advice please

> PeeCee wrote:

> On 14/11/2011 12:22 p.m., Lodi wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Running Ubuntu 10.10 with KDE.
>>
>> Total noob when it comes to hard disk recording programmes off the telly.
>> So does anyone have any keywords I can google or hardware advice.
>>
>> Currently when I need to I can record onto a Mustek DVD-recorder. But the
>> obvious drawback is write-once media. You tend to end up with piles of
>> DVD's. (Unless I spend big bucks for a decent DVD-RW...which has a
>> limited life anyway)
>>
>> Basically I just want to replace a VCR with a hard disk for as cheap as
>> possible. I have loads of hard disks and scavenged systems lying around.
>> Any advice on taking the cable that runs between the red/white/yellow
>> sockets of my TV and Sky decoder and routing said cable to a hard disk.
>>
>> Am penguin friendly so feel free to use big words :-)
>>
>> Thanks much
>> Lodi

> Lodi
>
> (by "Hard Drive" I take it you mean "System Box" as there is no way you
> can wire a "Hard Drive" as in a Western Digital or Segate Hard Drive, to
> the A/V outputs of a a Media device)
>
> If you have a 'reasonably' grunty System box lying around (I would think
> a P4/Athlon X2) the easiest solution is likely to be a PCI/PCIe/USB
> DVB-S/T tuner attachment.
>
> They cost $100-$200 ish so within your budget if you were contemplating
> a Dish TV box.
>
> OS of your choice and tuner compatibility.
>
> As a standalone could be refined to the task required.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks for the advice Paul.

Oddly enough I'm writing this from a P4 2.6GHz which I could easily dedicate
as a standalone.

It only has 1GB memory, DDR 266. Is that sufficient.

No PCIe unfortunately. Just plain old PCI

Thanks
Lodi