Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Told you Sony's 24mp sensor was noisy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t805229-re-told-you-sonys-24mp-sensor-was-noisy.html)

Me 10-26-2011 06:18 AM

On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:
> I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
> the issue. However, the camera does show really high resolution.
> The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".

RichA 10-26-2011 01:32 PM

On Oct 26, 2:18*am, Me <u...@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:> I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
> > the issue. *However, the camera does show really high resolution.
> > The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.

> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

> With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
> reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".

If it results in loss of detail or quality, that's not good.

Robert Coe 10-26-2011 10:55 PM

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Oct 26, 2:18*am, Me <u...@domain.invalid> wrote:
: > On 26/10/2011 4:04 p.m., Rich wrote:> I noticed it in the NEX-7 results and now, it seems that the SLT-A77 has
: > > the issue. *However, the camera does show really high resolution.
: > > The Pentax K5 remains the noise control king of APS.
: >
: > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp
: >
: > With the Pentax K5 it looks like a /shitload/ of NR goes on between
: > reading the sensor and so-called "raw file".
:
: If it results in loss of detail or quality, that's not good.

Well, is it that or just that the default presentation of the RAW image is set
to a high NR level? If the latter (as I think it would be in the Canon world),
then you could back it off with no overall loss of information.

Bob