Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to host a site on a closed network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t804815-how-to-host-a-site-on-a-closed-network.html)

Excel User 05-22-2009 09:20 PM

How to host a site on a closed network

Hi,

I have a customer that has a closed network (no internet just an internal
network), can I setup a normal machine to act as a webserver, I know if I
set the machine as a static IP address, I should be able to pass the details
to others to view the site but are there any other potential problems?

Thanks

Steve

Evertjan. 05-22-2009 10:09 PM

Re: How to host a site on a closed network

Excel User wrote on 22 mei 2009 in

> I have a customer that has a closed network (no internet just an
> internal network), can I setup a normal machine to act as a webserver,
> I know if I set the machine as a static IP address, I should be able
> to pass the details to others to view the site but are there any other
> potential problems?

Perhaps you would like to have a textual url?

I do not think this has anything to do with classic ASP.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

JR 05-24-2009 02:12 AM

On May 22, 6:20*pm, "Excel User" <eu...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a customer that has a closed network (no internet just an internal
> network), can I setup a normal machine to act as a webserver [...]

Yes, you can. In order to run classic ASP 3.0 pages, you only need:

* any normal machine in the network (workstation) running Personal
Web Server - PWS (Windows 95 / 98), or Internet Information Services -
IIS (Windows 2000 / XP / Vista Professional); or
* a server (a dedicated computer) running Internet Information
Services - IIS (Windows 2000 Server or later).

> [...], I know if I
> set the machine as a static IP address, I should be able to pass the details
> to others to view the site but are there any other potential problems?

Either PWS (Win 9x) or IIS (Win 2000 / XP Professional) allow up to 10
simultaneous connections, but I think it's enough for most cases where
a few users share a specific Department's app. The other users in the
network just have to type the IIS machine's IP or name in their
browser's address bar, e.g.:
http://127.10.10.0/DeptX/default.asp

or

http://machineName/default.asp

Don't forget to configure IIS accordingly (things like users
permissions, mapped directories, etc.).

Regards,
Joao Rodrigues

Excel User 05-26-2009 07:06 PM

Re: How to host a site on a closed network

Thanks JR,

when you say 10 simultaneous connections, does PWS still have a
restriction - I thought it would not matter how many connections to the
intranet site?

Thanks again!

JR 05-26-2009 09:04 PM

On May 26, 4:06*pm, "Excel User" <eu...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> when you say 10 simultaneous connections, does PWS still have a
> restriction - *I thought it would not matter how many connections to the
> intranet site?

Depending on how you build your asp code, this limitation is very rare
to cause any problems in a small application. I mean, the 10
concurrent connections won't trouble if you design pages that connect
to a database, fetch the necessary data, and eventually disconnect,
because these operations are performed in milliseconds. I had one app
like this in 2002, using classic ASP, MS Access (.mdb file), Win 2K
Pro, and never experienced any problem with the 10 concurrent
connections limit, but I must admit my app was not used very
intensively by their users.

I forgot to mention that you can install IIS on any workstation even
if it is logged to a LAN (Windows, Linux, Netware servers).

Today I found a good FAQ about the subject:
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...t-iis/asp.html

HTH,
Joao Rodrigues

JR 05-26-2009 09:10 PM

Re: How to host a site on a closed network

Another link about the IIS limitation:

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...fessional.html

Cheers,
Joao Rodrigues

Excel User 05-26-2009 09:40 PM

Re: How to host a site on a closed network

Thanks Joao for your information, I will look into your links!

Cheers!