Velocity Reviews

-   -   unicode and reading/writing text files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t804562-unicode-and-reading-writing-text-files.html)

Devin 11-19-2008 05:52 PM

unicode and reading/writing text files

Hi, I'm working with a csv file that contains Chinese characters.
IfI drag and drop the csv file into firefox, it displays exactly as I
would expect. The English and Chinese characters both appear
correctly.

When I process the file with a script the Chinese characters don't
decode/encode properly. Any suggestions?
(this is actually a vbscript run locally, hope thats not an issue with
anybody)

Code:

option explicit
dim fs, fso, fsi, tstream
dim line
dim ifile, ofile
ifile = "x.csv"
ofile = "y.html"

set fs = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
set fso = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
set fsi = createObject("scripting.filesystemobject")

set fso = fs.createtextfile(ofile,1,-1)

set fsi = fs.getfile(ifile)
set tstream = fsi.openastextstream(1,-1)

fso.writeline("<html><head><meta http-equiv=""Content-
Type""content=""text/html;charset=utf-8"" ></head><body>")

do while not tstream.atendofstream
dim spl,i

line = tstream.readline
line = replace(line, "||", "<br />")
spl = split(line, vbtab)
for i = 0 to ubound(spl)
fso.write(spl(i))
next
fso.writeline("<hr>")
loop

fso.writeline("</body></html>")

Martin Honnen 11-19-2008 06:19 PM

Re: unicode and reading/writing text files

Devin wrote:
> Hi, I'm working with a csv file that contains Chinese characters.
> IfI drag and drop the csv file into firefox, it displays exactly as I
> would expect. The English and Chinese characters both appear
> correctly.
>
> When I process the file with a script the Chinese characters don't
> decode/encode properly. Any suggestions?

What is the encoding of the file? FSO can do UTF-16 but not UTF-8 for
instance. So you need to find out the encoding of the file and if FSO
can't handle that then perhaps use an ADODB.Stream with the encoding.

--

Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/