Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbie, Wikipedia (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t804461-newbie-wikipedia.html)

SharkD 09-04-2008 03:46 PM

Newbie, Wikipedia

Hi!

I'm a total newbie when it comes to ASP (or any type of server-side
programming).

I want to start a project that does the following:

1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
results.

I just signed up with http://www.asphost4free.com today. They only
support regular ASP by default, but there is a beta program for those
wishing to try ASP.NET.

First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
ASP,
or do I need to sign up for the beta? Can it be accomplished in
ASP.NET at all?

I am hoping someone here can provide some newbie advice on how to
accomplish this. Thanks!

-Mike

Old Pedant 09-04-2008 06:26 PM

RE: Newbie, Wikipedia

"SharkD" wrote:

> 1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
> DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
> 2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
> results.
>
> First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
> ASP,

I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP. It is *ONLY*
for ASP.NET.

> Can it be accomplished in ASP.NET at all?

Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
accomplished in ASP.NET.

**************

Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
account. GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...5Fhdr=&ci=5652
click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price.
(Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)

SharkD 09-05-2008 02:32 AM

Re: Newbie, Wikipedia

On Sep 4, 2:26*pm, Old Pedant <OldPed...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> "SharkD" wrote:
> > 1. query Wikipedia for information regarding articles using the
> > DotNetWikiBot C# framework (http://dotnetwikibot.sourceforge.net/);
> > 2. process the queries and build and serve HTML tables based on the
> > results.

> > First of all, is what I am hoping to do accomplishable in regular
> > ASP,

> I don't see how a C# framework is at all applicable to ASP. *It is *ONLY*
> for ASP.NET.
>
> > Can it be accomplished in ASP.NET at all?

> Ummm...I think, *if* you use *that* methodology, then it can *ONLY* be
> accomplished in ASP.NET.
>
> **************
>
> Unless you are a starving student, you might consider getting a paid hosting
> account. *GoDaddy has ASP.NET available for under $5 a month.https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...5Fhdr=&ci=5652
> click on the "compare windows plans" tab for what you get at that price. *
> (Don't let them sell you any of the unnecessary add-ons, though.)

*OK*, *thanks*.

SharkD 09-05-2008 02:35 AM

Re: Newbie, Wikipedia

Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
access except for paid accounts.

-Mike

Evertjan. 09-05-2008 07:01 AM

Re: Newbie, Wikipedia

SharkD wrote on 05 sep 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
> have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
> ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
> access except for paid accounts.

[please always quote on usenet]

This is a classic asp group.
Dotnet questions should be asked in
<microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Mike Brind [MVP] 09-05-2008 07:10 AM

Re: Newbie, Wikipedia

"SharkD" <mikh2161@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could you recommend any complete newbie introductions to ASP.NET? I
> have no experience with server-side programming at all. Until two days
> ago I only ever had a geocities account, which doesn't allow write
> access except for paid accounts.
>
> -Mike

www.asp.net/learn

That site also has forums, where you can ask any more questions you may have
on ASP.NET, as Evertjan suggested.

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET