Velocity Reviews

-   -   If Then (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t804459-if-then.html)

paulmitchell507 09-03-2008 02:08 PM

If Then

I am designing a small .asp (classic) application, I am connecting to
a Access 2k database via ADO to retrieve data. I have a number
variable's that contain text that is posted from a previous screen

AMPM = Request.Form("AMPM")
AMPMDate = Request.Form("AMPMDate")
halfday = "(" & AMPM & "," & AMPMDate & ")"

I then compose a CDOSYS email and send the value of the variable in
the .HTML body of the email

..HTML = "Number of Days" & halfday

What I would like to do is only display the value of the halfday
variable if it contains a value. I was thinking along the lines of

If halfday = Null Then
halfday = ""

Else

halfday = halfday

End if

I know this does not work, but it gives an idea of what I am trying to
achieve.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob Barrows [MVP] 09-03-2008 02:49 PM

Re: If Then

paulmitchell507 wrote:
> I am designing a small .asp (classic) application, I am connecting to
> a Access 2k database via ADO to retrieve data. I have a number
> variable's that contain text that is posted from a previous screen
>
> AMPM = Request.Form("AMPM")
> AMPMDate = Request.Form("AMPMDate")
> halfday = "(" & AMPM & "," & AMPMDate & ")"
>
> I then compose a CDOSYS email and send the value of the variable in
> the .HTML body of the email
>
> .HTML = "Number of Days" & halfday
>
> What I would like to do is only display the value of the halfday
> variable if it contains a value. I was thinking along the lines of
>
> If halfday = Null Then

This will never be true. Comparisons to Null always result in Null. You
probably mean:

If halfday Is Null Then

However, this will also never be the case at this point because in your
previous statements, you assigned values to halfday. I think what you
intend to do is something like;

If AMPM = "" And AMPMDate = "" then
halfday=""
Else
halfday = "(" & AMPM & "," & AMPMDate & ")"
End if

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones 09-04-2008 08:08 AM

Re: If Then

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> paulmitchell507 wrote:
>> I am designing a small .asp (classic) application, I am connecting to
>> a Access 2k database via ADO to retrieve data. I have a number
>> variable's that contain text that is posted from a previous screen
>>
>> AMPM = Request.Form("AMPM")
>> AMPMDate = Request.Form("AMPMDate")
>> halfday = "(" & AMPM & "," & AMPMDate & ")"
>>
>> I then compose a CDOSYS email and send the value of the variable in
>> the .HTML body of the email
>>
>> .HTML = "Number of Days" & halfday
>>
>> What I would like to do is only display the value of the halfday
>> variable if it contains a value. I was thinking along the lines of
>>
>> If halfday = Null Then

> This will never be true. Comparisons to Null always result in Null. You
> probably mean:
>
> If halfday Is Null Then

Your VBScript getting a bit rusty Bob? ;)

If IsNull(halfday) Then

The Is keyword in VBScript tests the type of an object (via the
QueryInterface method).

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

paulmitchell507 09-04-2008 10:44 AM

Re: If Then

On Sep 4, 9:08*am, "Anthony Jones" <AnthonyWJo...@yadayadayada.com>
wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01...@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in messagenews:uzdFJRdDJHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
>

> > paulmitchell507 wrote:
> >> I am designing a small .asp (classic) application, I am connecting to
> >> a Access 2k database via ADO to retrieve data. *I have a number
> >> variable's that contain text that is posted from a previous screen

> >> AMPM = Request.Form("AMPM")
> >> AMPMDate = Request.Form("AMPMDate")
> >> halfday = "(" & AMPM & "," & AMPMDate & ")"

> >> I then compose a CDOSYS email and send the value of the variable in
> >> the .HTML body of the email

> >> .HTML = "Number of Days" & halfday

> >> What I would like to do is only display the value of the halfday
> >> variable if it contains a value. *I was thinking along the lines of

> >> If halfday = Null Then

> > This will never be true. Comparisons to Null always result in Null. You
> > probably mean:

> > If halfday Is Null Then

> Your VBScript getting a bit rusty Bob? ;)
>
> If IsNull(halfday) Then
>
> The Is keyword in VBScript tests the type of an object (via the
> QueryInterface method).
>
> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET- Hide quoted text -

Bob's VBScript may/may not be a bit rusty (I am not qualified to
judge, hence my question) but it worked for me!
Thank you both very much for your help.

Bob Barrows [MVP] 09-04-2008 10:56 AM

Re: If Then

Anthony Jones wrote:
>>> What I would like to do is only display the value of the halfday
>>> variable if it contains a value. I was thinking along the lines of
>>>
>>> If halfday = Null Then

>> This will never be true. Comparisons to Null always result in Null.
>> You probably mean:
>>
>> If halfday Is Null Then
>>

> Your VBScript getting a bit rusty Bob? ;)
>
> If IsNull(halfday) Then
>
> The Is keyword in VBScript tests the type of an object (via the
> QueryInterface method).

Oops. Doing too much sql lately ...

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET