Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP General (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f65-asp-general.html)
-   -   Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users grou (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t803489-active-x-component-can-run-power-users-group-but-not-in-users-grou.html)

Wilmer Hernandez 08-15-2007 05:46 AM

Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users grou
 
An ActiveX component created using ATL under Visual Studio 2003, and it is
used in a ASP, runs perfectly under administrator or power users group,
however this same object does not run under the Users groups.

I see this problem happen in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 under windows XP.

Under the Users group the component fails when it tries to call for the
first time a method in that component then the JavaScript throws the
following exception:

message = "Object doesn't support this property or method"
number = -2146827850

I’ve follow a trial and error approach by changing privileges to the Users
group and to the component dll several windows components such as “Component
Services" , or to the Interfaces in ole viewer, permissions to directories,
lower IE security settings in the different zones for ActiveX components
without much success.

I was wondering if anybody have run into this issue before and know what
privileges I will need to change in the users group for this ActiveX
component to run? Is this a possibility?

If this is the right forun to place this question, my apologies.

Thanks


Anthony Jones 08-15-2007 07:21 AM

Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users grou
 
"Wilmer Hernandez" <Wilmer Hernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:49AE99A9-A4E5-4D28-938C-8966CA155DAF@microsoft.com...
> An ActiveX component created using ATL under Visual Studio 2003, and it is
> used in a ASP, runs perfectly under administrator or power users group,
> however this same object does not run under the Users groups.
>
> I see this problem happen in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 under windows XP.
>
> Under the Users group the component fails when it tries to call for the
> first time a method in that component then the JavaScript throws the
> following exception:
>
> message = "Object doesn't support this property or method"
> number = -2146827850
>
> I've follow a trial and error approach by changing privileges to the Users
> group and to the component dll several windows components such as

"Component
> Services" , or to the Interfaces in ole viewer, permissions to

directories,
> lower IE security settings in the different zones for ActiveX components
> without much success.
>
> I was wondering if anybody have run into this issue before and know what
> privileges I will need to change in the users group for this ActiveX
> component to run? Is this a possibility?
>
> If this is the right forun to place this question, my apologies.
>


This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.

However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual error to
receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with all
mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being sucessfully
created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such or
implemented the appropriate interfaces?

First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer for
the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone setttings
etc the same?


--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET



Wilmer Hernandez 08-15-2007 02:46 PM

Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users
 

> This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
>
> However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual error to
> receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with all
> mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being sucessfully
> created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such or
> implemented the appropriate interfaces?
>
> First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer for
> the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
> appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone setttings
> etc the same?
>
>
> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
>
>


Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.

The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the object,
I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the initialize
method is required for the component to work.

The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue if
the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting"
security setting is enabled. or would it?

I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no difference
that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the trusted
sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.

Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
question?

Cheers,


Anthony Jones 08-15-2007 03:08 PM

Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users
 
"Wilmer Hernandez" <WilmerHernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BBF177DB-2D3C-4C05-BB7A-3580525A18E4@microsoft.com...
>
> > This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
> >
> > However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual

error to
> > receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with

all
> > mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being

sucessfully
> > created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such

or
> > implemented the appropriate interfaces?
> >
> > First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer

for
> > the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
> > appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone

setttings
> > etc the same?
> >
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
> >
> >

>
> Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.
>
> The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
> Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the

object,
> I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the

initialize
> method is required for the component to work.
>
> The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue

if
> the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for

scripting"
> security setting is enabled. or would it?
>
> I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no

difference
> that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the

trusted
> sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.
>


Have you reviewed the resources and components that the initialise method
relies on?

Even if calling another method may fail since initialise hasn't been called
it would help in diagnosis to know whether this error is unique to
initialise and yet other methods at least attempt to run albeit failing due
to a lack of initialise call.

Have you tried instancing and using the component in a VBScript file?


> Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
> question?
>


Technically the best place for this question is inetexplorer.scripting but
that group isn't all that busy these days.




> Cheers,
>




Wilmer Hernandez 08-20-2007 08:36 PM

Re: Active X Component can run Power users group but not in users
 
"Anthony Jones" wrote:

> "Wilmer Hernandez" <WilmerHernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:BBF177DB-2D3C-4C05-BB7A-3580525A18E4@microsoft.com...
> >
> > > This is a browser problem so this not the best place for the question.
> > >
> > > However I'm not sure this is a permissions problem. Its an unusual

> error to
> > > receive for a permissions style problem. Does the problem happen with

> all
> > > mehods of the object or just one of them? Is the object being

> sucessfully
> > > created? Is it safe-for-scripting, if so has it been registered as such

> or
> > > implemented the appropriate interfaces?
> > >
> > > First thing you should do is compare the settings for internet explorer

> for
> > > the standard user with the admin user. Does the site you are visiting
> > > appear in the same zone. Are the advanced settings and the zone

> setttings
> > > etc the same?
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
> > >
> > >

> >
> > Thanks Anthony for your response I really appreciated.
> >
> > The Object seems to be created without a problem, however since the
> > Initialise method is the first method we need to use to start up the

> object,
> > I have not been able to execute any of the other method since the

> initialize
> > method is required for the component to work.
> >
> > The Object is not safe-for-scripting; however this would not be an issue

> if
> > the "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for

> scripting"
> > security setting is enabled. or would it?
> >
> > I have compare the setting in for both groups in IE and there no

> difference
> > that I can notice. The site that contains the dcom object is in the

> trusted
> > sites zone for both the Admin and Users group.
> >

>
> Have you reviewed the resources and components that the initialise method
> relies on?
>
> Even if calling another method may fail since initialise hasn't been called
> it would help in diagnosis to know whether this error is unique to
> initialise and yet other methods at least attempt to run albeit failing due
> to a lack of initialise call.
>
> Have you tried instancing and using the component in a VBScript file?
>
>
> > Do you know if the Interserv.asp.components is the best place to post this
> > question?
> >

>
> Technically the best place for this question is inetexplorer.scripting but
> that group isn't all that busy these days.
>
>
>
>
> > Cheers,
> >

>
>
>


Anthony,

I've tested the ActiveX component trying to call any of the other method in
the component and the result were the same "Oject does't Support this
property or Method" message.

I'll try to initialized it in VBScript and let you know of the restults.

I'll try and post this message in the inetexplorer.scripting forum as well.

Thanks,



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.