Velocity Reviews

-   -   Another solution for this?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t803015-another-solution-for-this.html)

the other john 04-11-2007 12:18 PM

Another solution for this??

This is a script someone here helped me with a while back and I am
very grateful for the help. I am stumped however as to how to change
it slightly.

This is the script...

storyArray = Split(myStory, vbcrlf & vbcrlf)
para = storyArray(0)

'setup the loop for the first words here
Response.write "<p><span id='firstWords'>"

for i = 1 to 4
spacepos = instr(para," " )
word = left(para,spacepos)
Response.Write word 'this is the line I need to create a variable
instead
para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
next

'close the first words loop and print the remaining words in the first
paragraph
Response.Write "</span>" & para & "</p>" & vbcrlf

All this was designed to do it to is to take to take the first array
item (a paragraph) and enclose the first words (in this case the first
4) in style tags. It works perfectly however, instead of "printing"
the words with this line "Response.Write word", I need to instead
place the words into a variable instead of just printing them, in
other words, create a string of the first 4 words and place them into
a variable like "firstWords" or whatever so I can call on it at a
later time in the script. It should just be a simple thing but it's
not turning out this way. I'd "really" appreciate ideas.

Thanks!!

John

ThatsIT.net.au 04-11-2007 02:55 PM

Re: Another solution for this??

"the other john" <kinane3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1176293894.413635.200320@w1g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
> This is a script someone here helped me with a while back and I am
> very grateful for the help. I am stumped however as to how to change
> it slightly.
>
> This is the script...
>
> storyArray = Split(myStory, vbcrlf & vbcrlf)
> para = storyArray(0)
>
> 'setup the loop for the first words here
> Response.write "<p><span id='firstWords'>"

dim aVariable
aVariable = ""

> for i = 1 to 4
> spacepos = instr(para," " )
> word = left(para,spacepos)
> Response.Write word 'this is the line I need to create a variable
> instead

aVariable = aVariable & word

the other john 04-11-2007 03:09 PM

On Apr 11, 10:55 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:
> "the other john" <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1176293894.413635.200320@w1g2000hsg.go oglegroups.com...
>
> > This is a script someone here helped me with a while back and I am
> > very grateful for the help. I am stumped however as to how to change
> > it slightly.

> > This is the script...

> > storyArray = Split(myStory, vbcrlf & vbcrlf)
> > para = storyArray(0)

> > 'setup the loop for the first words here
> > Response.write "<p><span id='firstWords'>"

> dim aVariable
> aVariable = ""
>
> > for i = 1 to 4
> > spacepos = instr(para," " )
> > word = left(para,spacepos)
> > Response.Write word 'this is the line I need to create a variable
> > instead

> aVariable = aVariable & word
>

> > para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
> > next

> > 'close the first words loop and print the remaining words in the first
> > paragraph
> > Response.Write "</span>" & para & "</p>" & vbcrlf

> > All this was designed to do it to is to take to take the first array
> > item (a paragraph) and enclose the first words (in this case the first
> > 4) in style tags. It works perfectly however, instead of "printing"
> > the words with this line "Response.Write word", I need to instead
> > place the words into a variable instead of just printing them, in
> > other words, create a string of the first 4 words and place them into
> > a variable like "firstWords" or whatever so I can call on it at a
> > later time in the script. It should just be a simple thing but it's
> > not turning out this way. I'd "really" appreciate ideas.

> > Thanks!!

> > John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I tried this before...actually I tried it like this and it
didn't work.

firstWords = word & " " and firstWords 'need a space between each

what am I missing?

Thanks again!

ThatsIT.net.au 04-15-2007 12:09 PM

news:1176304196.301310.21140@w1g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
> On Apr 11, 10:55 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:
>> "the other john" <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:1176293894.413635.200320@w1g2000hsg.go oglegroups.com...
>>
>> > This is a script someone here helped me with a while back and I am
>> > very grateful for the help. I am stumped however as to how to change
>> > it slightly.

>> > This is the script...

>> > storyArray = Split(myStory, vbcrlf & vbcrlf)
>> > para = storyArray(0)

>> > 'setup the loop for the first words here
>> > Response.write "<p><span id='firstWords'>"

>> dim aVariable
>> aVariable = ""
>>
>> > for i = 1 to 4
>> > spacepos = instr(para," " )
>> > word = left(para,spacepos)
>> > Response.Write word 'this is the line I need to create a variable
>> > instead

>> aVariable = aVariable & word
>>

>> > para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
>> > next

>> > 'close the first words loop and print the remaining words in the first
>> > paragraph
>> > Response.Write "</span>" & para & "</p>" & vbcrlf

>> > All this was designed to do it to is to take to take the first array
>> > item (a paragraph) and enclose the first words (in this case the first
>> > 4) in style tags. It works perfectly however, instead of "printing"
>> > the words with this line "Response.Write word", I need to instead
>> > place the words into a variable instead of just printing them, in
>> > other words, create a string of the first 4 words and place them into
>> > a variable like "firstWords" or whatever so I can call on it at a
>> > later time in the script. It should just be a simple thing but it's
>> > not turning out this way. I'd "really" appreciate ideas.

>> > Thanks!!

>> > John- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks. I tried this before...actually I tried it like this and it
> didn't work.
>
> firstWords = word & " " and firstWords 'need a space between each
>
> what am I missing?
>
> Thanks again!

aVariable = aVariable & word & " "

the other john 04-17-2007 05:47 PM

On Apr 15, 8:09 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:
> "the other john" <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1176304196.301310.21140@w1g2000hsg.goo glegroups.com...
>

> > On Apr 11, 10:55 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:
> >> "the other john" <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:1176293894.413635.200320@w1g2000hsg.go oglegroups.com...

> >> dim aVariable
> >> aVariable = ""

> >> aVariable = aVariable & word

> > Thanks. I tried this before...actually I tried it like this and it
> > didn't work.

> > firstWords = word & " " and firstWords 'need a space between each

> > what am I missing?

> > Thanks again!

> aVariable = aVariable & word & " "- Hide quoted text -

this was my solution....

wordCount = rsStoryData("fld_order_firstWords")
for i = 1 to wordCount
spacepos = instr(para," " )
word = left(para,spacepos)
If i > 1 Then
thisWord = thisWord & word
Else
thisWord = word
End If
para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
next

Thanks!

the other john 04-17-2007 05:49 PM

On Apr 17, 1:47 pm, the other john <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 8:09 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:

> > > Thanks. I tried this before...actually I tried it like this and it
> > > didn't work.

> > > firstWords = word & " " and firstWords 'need a space between each

> > > what am I missing?

> > > Thanks again!

> > aVariable = aVariable & word & " "- Hide quoted text -

> this was my solution....
>
> wordCount = rsStoryData("fld_order_firstWords")
> for i = 1 to wordCount
> spacepos = instr(para," " )
> word = left(para,spacepos)
> If i > 1 Then
> thisWord = thisWord & word
> Else
> thisWord = word
> End If
> para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
> next
>
> Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Oh, an incidentally, I didn't need to use vbcrlf for some reason.
When I did it added a space making 2 spaces...strange. So, for
reasons I can't explain, it creates it's own space. Got me why.

ThatsIT.net.au 04-19-2007 01:49 PM

news:1176832053.125760.125330@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com...
> On Apr 15, 8:09 am, "ThatsIT.net.au" <me@thatsit> wrote:
>> "the other john" <kina...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:1176304196.301310.21140@w1g2000hsg.goo glegroups.com...

>> > Thanks. I tried this before...actually I tried it like this and it
>> > didn't work.

>> > firstWords = word & " " and firstWords 'need a space between each

>> > what am I missing?

>> > Thanks again!

>> aVariable = aVariable & word & " "- Hide quoted text -

> this was my solution....

'here lets create a string
dim words

' here we load the P tag
words = "<p>

> wordCount = rsStoryData("fld_order_firstWords")
> for i = 1 to wordCount
> spacepos = instr(para," " )
> word = left(para,spacepos)
> If i > 1 Then

'If you want the first words this should be
If i < 5 Then

> thisWord = thisWord & word

' here you need somthing like

words = words & "<span id='firstWords'>" & word & "</span>"& " "

> Else
> thisWord = word & " "

'and here

words = words & word

> End If
> para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)
> next

'here end with

words = words & "</p>"

> Thanks!

the above code would work, but creating large string in ASP slows things
down
Using a array would be better

wordCount = rsStoryData("fld_order_firstWords")

dim words()

for i = 1 to wordCount
spacepos = instr(para," " )
word = left(para,spacepos)

redim preserve words(i)

If i < 5 Then
words(i-1) = "<span id='firstWords'>" & word & "</span>"
Else
words(i-1) = word
End If
para = right(para,len(para)-spacepos)