Velocity Reviews

-   -   looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t802501-looking-for-free-forum-bb-in-asp-to-grab.html)

digger440uk 12-15-2006 03:52 PM

looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like it
to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities, avatars, sigs
etc but i already have users registering in another part of my site. I
would like to use a forum where i can modify the code easily so i can
register them in the forum's user db as well without much hassle. Can
anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay clear of php, would like to use
mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or asp.net.

cheers.
Andy

Bob Barrows [MVP] 12-15-2006 04:02 PM

Re: looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+...005-37,GGLD:en

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

digger440uk 12-16-2006 02:42 PM

Re: looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
some personal experiences.

Evertjan. 12-16-2006 02:46 PM

Re: looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

digger440uk wrote on 16 dec 2006 in

> I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
> already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
> some personal experiences.

What are you talking about?

If you respond on something on usenet, you should quote sufficient part of
the original.

Usenet is not email.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

digger440uk 12-16-2006 02:57 PM

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> digger440uk wrote:
> > I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like
> > it to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities, avatars,
> > sigs etc but i already have users registering in another part of my
> > site. I would like to use a forum where i can modify the code easily
> > so i can register them in the forum's user db as well without much
> > hassle. Can anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay clear of php, would
> > like to use mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or
> > asp.net.
> >

> http://www.google.com/search?q=free+...005-37,GGLD:en
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Sorry. My reply was;

Bob Barrows [MVP] 12-16-2006 06:43 PM

digger440uk wrote:
> Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
>> digger440uk wrote:
>>> I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like
>>> it to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities,
>>> avatars, sigs etc but i already have users registering in another
>>> part of my site. I would like to use a forum where i can modify the
>>> code easily so i can register them in the forum's user db as well
>>> without much hassle. Can anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay
>>> clear of php, would like to use mysql and would be happy with
>>> either straight asp or asp.net.

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+...005-37,GGLD:en

> Sorry. My reply was;
> I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
> already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
> some personal experiences.

Then you should have said so. We're not mind readers and we had no way
of knowing that you knew how to do a google search or that you had
already looked at some software.

Unfortunately, I have never used forum software so I cannot make any
recommendations. However, I believe the topic has come up in this
newsgroup in the past. Have you tried a google search of this group?

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

digger440uk 12-18-2006 12:49 PM

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> digger440uk wrote:
> > Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> >>>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=free+...005-37,GGLD:en
> >>

> > Sorry. My reply was;
> > I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
> > already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
> > some personal experiences.

> Then you should have said so. We're not mind readers and we had no way
> of knowing that you knew how to do a google search or that you had
> already looked at some software.
>
> Unfortunately, I have never used forum software so I cannot make any
> recommendations. However, I believe the topic has come up in this
> newsgroup in the past. Have you tried a google search of this group?
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm on
a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google? good grief. I
always do a big search on usenet and the web before i make any initial
posting and hope others do the same. I requested a recommendation, not
a google response. I know you're not a mindreader but i did specify
what i was after.

Bob Barrows [MVP] 12-18-2006 01:39 PM

digger440uk wrote:

> You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm
> on a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
> couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
> lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google?

Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
how but post questions without doing research first.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

digger440uk 12-18-2006 02:10 PM

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> digger440uk wrote:
> >
> > You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm
> > on a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
> > couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
> > lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google?

> Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
> users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
> to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
> how but post questions without doing research first.
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

I wouldn't be shocked because i think you're talking nonsense. If you
want to talk about forum recommendations please continue on this
thread, if not go elsewhere.

Evertjan. 12-18-2006 02:48 PM

Re: looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

digger440uk wrote on 18 dec 2006 in
> Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
>> digger440uk wrote:
>> >
>> > You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm
>> > on a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
>> > couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
>> > lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google?

>> Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
>> users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
>> to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
>> how but post questions without doing research first.

> I wouldn't be shocked because i think you're talking nonsense. If you
> want to talk about forum recommendations please continue on this
> thread, if not go elsewhere.

Dear Anonymous,

Bob is the most knowledgable about ASP database matters in this NG and has
been so for a long time. He answers Q large and small, even ones I would
not bother to do, were I in his place.

If you did not know that, your Google groups reseach on this issue is sure
to be totally absent, so an admonishment to do research first is in place.

Asking him to go elsewhere is sad and laughable.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.