Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannot Update Error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t801710-cannot-update-error.html)

K 07-27-2006 08:44 AM

Cannot Update Error

Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.

Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2 where
full details of that item are displayed.

Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
is read-only.

I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before successfully.

Any idea?

Mike Brind 07-27-2006 11:59 AM

Re: Cannot Update Error

K wrote:
> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>
> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2 where
> full details of that item are displayed.
>
> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
> is read-only.
>
> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before successfully.
>
> Any idea?

It might help if you provided the relevant code. Otherwise all anyone
can do is guess.

--
Mike Brind

Bob Barrows [MVP] 07-27-2006 12:23 PM

Re: Cannot Update Error

K wrote:
> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>
> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2
> where full details of that item are displayed.
>
> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or
> object is read-only.
>
> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before
> successfully.
> Any idea?

Usually filesystem permissions problems. See
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

K 07-28-2006 01:27 PM

Re: Cannot Update Error

>> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>>
>> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2
>> where full details of that item are displayed.
>>
>> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>>
>> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
>> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or
>> object is read-only.
>>
>> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before
>> successfully.
>> Any idea?

> Usually filesystem permissions problems. See
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Thanks

It was permissions. The IUSR account didn't have write permission to the
folder the DB was in.