Velocity Reviews

-   -   Web Based Install from ASP Page (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t801097-web-based-install-from-asp-page.html)

Prabhat 04-13-2006 03:19 PM

Web Based Install from ASP Page

Hi All,

How ca I write a asp page that will handle web based Install? Is it possible
or I need to go for some 3rd party Software for this, If Yes what is the
Best to use with ASP?

My requirement is: I have one Software that I wanted to install in Customer
PC directly from Webpage instead of allowing the user to download the
Software and Install.

I have no idea about this concept. Please guide.

Thanks
Prabhat

jeroen.wijnands@gmail.com 04-13-2006 03:51 PM

Re: Web Based Install from ASP Page

I think you'd better ask this question in an ASP group.

Jeroen
http://wijnands.blogspot.com

Bob Barrows [MVP] 04-13-2006 05:45 PM

Prabhat wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How ca I write a asp page that will handle web based Install? Is it
> possible or I need to go for some 3rd party Software for this, If Yes
> what is the Best to use with ASP?
>
> My requirement is: I have one Software that I wanted to install in
> Customer PC directly from Webpage instead of allowing the user to
> download the Software and Install.
>
> I have no idea about this concept. Please guide.

Unless you can convince users to set their security settings to allow it,
you should forget this idea.

Think of the havoc hackers could wreak if what you wanted was possible.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

David Wang [Msft] 04-16-2006 10:16 AM

Re: Web Based Install from ASP Page

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...ty_Needed.aspx

--
//David
IIS

Prabhat 04-17-2006 11:36 AM

Re: Web Based Install from ASP Page

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...siness_Require
ment_Security_Vulnerability_Needed.aspx

> --
> //David
> IIS
> http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang

rights.
> //

Hi David,

Thanks for your gud information and explanation. But if not in ONE Click can
do that in 2 steps? (I think Yahoo Messanger download works in 2 steps)

Regards
Prabhat

Mike Brind 04-17-2006 05:19 PM

Prabhat wrote:

> http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...siness_Require
> ment_Security_Vulnerability_Needed.aspx
> >
> > --
> > //David
> > IIS
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang

> rights.
> > //

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your gud information and explanation. But if not in ONE Click can
> do that in 2 steps? (I think Yahoo Messanger download works in 2 steps)

Isn't that a standard download (first click) and install (second click
- well, double click)?

--
Mike Brind

Prabhat 04-18-2006 08:01 AM

Re: Web Based Install from ASP Page

> Isn't that a standard download (first click) and install (second click
> - well, double click)?
>
> --
> Mike Brind

Hi,

But in this case the application get downloaded to client's PC and then
Install from there, While I am wondering if there is a way where the
installer will not get download to client's PC instead will start install
the software directly from WebServer to Client's PC. I am not sure if this
way possible or not.

Thanks
Prabhat

Mike Brind 04-18-2006 08:53 AM

Prabhat wrote:

> > Isn't that a standard download (first click) and install (second click
> > - well, double click)?
> >
> > --
> > Mike Brind

> Hi,
>
> But in this case the application get downloaded to client's PC and then
> Install from there, While I am wondering if there is a way where the
> installer will not get download to client's PC instead will start install
> the software directly from WebServer to Client's PC. I am not sure if this
> way possible or not.
>
> Thanks
> Prabhat

Bob already gave you the answer to this. You would have to get users
to reset their security permissions to allow it.

--
Mike Brind