Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP General (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f65-asp-general.html)
-   -   Opening Word document from an ASP page (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t801053-opening-word-document-from-an-asp-page.html)

mkorch17 04-06-2006 06:55 PM

Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
Hello,

I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt


Slim 04-06-2006 07:55 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
ASP is server side,

you need to use client side script

try this page, it opens in client and loads file from my server

http://wanews.org/test/word.htm


"mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1144349732.126943.23120@j33g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
> also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
> contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
> open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
> clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
> found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
> merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
> I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>




mkorch17 04-06-2006 08:35 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
Doesn't open anything.


Slim wrote:
> ASP is server side,
>
> you need to use client side script
>
> try this page, it opens in client and loads file from my server
>
> http://wanews.org/test/word.htm
>
>
> "mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1144349732.126943.23120@j33g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
> > also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
> > contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
> > open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
> > clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
> > found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
> > merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
> > I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
> >



Slim 04-06-2006 08:42 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
works for me

I was using Word.Application.11 (office 2003)
I have changed it to Word.Application

try again
http://wanews.org/test/word.htm

"mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1144355717.970992.123880@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Doesn't open anything.
>
>
> Slim wrote:
>> ASP is server side,
>>
>> you need to use client side script
>>
>> try this page, it opens in client and loads file from my server
>>
>> http://wanews.org/test/word.htm
>>
>>
>> "mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1144349732.126943.23120@j33g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
>> > also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
>> > contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
>> > open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
>> > clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
>> > found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
>> > merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
>> > I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Matt
>> >

>




Slim 04-06-2006 08:48 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
PS you will need to check your IE security setting and make sure active x
can run



"Slim" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:esn5ArbWGHA.1352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> works for me
>
> I was using Word.Application.11 (office 2003)
> I have changed it to Word.Application
>
> try again
> http://wanews.org/test/word.htm
>
> "mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1144355717.970992.123880@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>> Doesn't open anything.
>>
>>
>> Slim wrote:
>>> ASP is server side,
>>>
>>> you need to use client side script
>>>
>>> try this page, it opens in client and loads file from my server
>>>
>>> http://wanews.org/test/word.htm
>>>
>>>
>>> "mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1144349732.126943.23120@j33g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>>> > Hello,
>>> >
>>> > I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
>>> > also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
>>> > contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
>>> > open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
>>> > clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
>>> > found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
>>> > merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
>>> > I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.
>>> >
>>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> >
>>> > Thanks,
>>> > Matt
>>> >

>>

>
>




mkorch17 04-06-2006 08:54 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
I can't use an ActiveX solution, my company does not allow it.


Bob Barrows [MVP] 04-06-2006 09:09 PM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
mkorch17 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a server with a Word document and an Access database on it. I
> also have an ASP page running on the server. The Word document
> contains a mail merge with the Access database. What I want to do is
> open the merged Word document from the ASP page when a button is
> clicked. I have tried several things including some scripting that I
> found on the internet. This scripting works, however it opens the
> merged document on the server instead of on the user's local machine.
> I want the Word document to open on the local machine instead.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

Maybe something in this article will help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q257757

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.



Slim 04-07-2006 12:29 AM

Re: Opening Word document from an ASP page
 
Opening word on client side requires it


"mkorch17" <matthewkorchinsky@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1144356848.006555.261760@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
>I can't use an ActiveX solution, my company does not allow it.
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.