Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP General (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f65-asp-general.html)
-   -   Error instantiating a COM+ proxy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t800422-error-instantiating-a-com-proxy.html)

Griff 01-13-2006 01:01 PM

Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
I have a two tier system.

I've created a COM+ package on the data tier (Win2003) and exported it as a
COM+proxy (v 1.0 compliant) and installed this onto a Win2000 web
application.

I've created a simple VB6 application that I run on the web tier to call a
method on the proxy stub and this successfully runs on the data tier.

However, I've attempted to create an ASP page that does exactly the same
thing and it falls over.

err.description: Permission denied
err.number: 70

I presume that this is a permissions problem for the anonymous web user. Is
it that the web user can't access the Proxy stub, or is it a permissions
thing on the data tier?

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Griff



Ray Costanzo [MVP] 01-13-2006 02:26 PM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
Try giving rights to the COM object in dcomcnfg (from Start---run)

Ray at work

"Griff" <Howling@The.Moon> wrote in message
news:e1fqCGEGGHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a two tier system.
>
> I've created a COM+ package on the data tier (Win2003) and exported it as
> a COM+proxy (v 1.0 compliant) and installed this onto a Win2000 web
> application.
>
> I've created a simple VB6 application that I run on the web tier to call a
> method on the proxy stub and this successfully runs on the data tier.
>
> However, I've attempted to create an ASP page that does exactly the same
> thing and it falls over.
>
> err.description: Permission denied
> err.number: 70
>
> I presume that this is a permissions problem for the anonymous web user.
> Is it that the web user can't access the Proxy stub, or is it a
> permissions thing on the data tier?
>
> Any advice would be most welcome
>
> Thanks
>
> Griff
>




Griff 01-13-2006 04:36 PM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
> Try giving rights to the COM object in dcomcnfg (from Start---run)

Sorry, not got this to work....what I tried was as follows:

1 - I ran dcomcnfg on the web tier (the one with the proxy)
2 - I selected the class ID in the list of applications {A89..}
3 - I went to the tab "Default Security"
4 - In the second box "Default Launch Permissions" I set the following:

Add user "IUSR_^servername^ = Allow Launch

5 - I tried the web page again .... same "permission denied" error

Griff






dNagel 01-13-2006 05:14 PM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
You may need...
....permissions at the file level for the DLL or whatever
is exposing that com object.

The latest service pack to XP as well as many of microsofts
patches are tightening up and not giving the developer as many
freedoms as we once had (which is a good thing).

Let me know if the file permissions resolved the issue.

D.


Griff wrote:
>>Try giving rights to the COM object in dcomcnfg (from Start---run)

>
>
> Sorry, not got this to work....what I tried was as follows:
>
> 1 - I ran dcomcnfg on the web tier (the one with the proxy)
> 2 - I selected the class ID in the list of applications {A89..}
> 3 - I went to the tab "Default Security"
> 4 - In the second box "Default Launch Permissions" I set the following:
>
> Add user "IUSR_^servername^ = Allow Launch
>
> 5 - I tried the web page again .... same "permission denied" error
>
> Griff
>
>
>
>
>


Brian Muth 01-13-2006 05:16 PM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
"Griff" <Howling@The.Moon> wrote in message
news:e1fqCGEGGHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have a two tier system.
>
> I've created a COM+ package on the data tier (Win2003) and exported it as
> a COM+proxy (v 1.0 compliant) and installed this onto a Win2000 web
> application.
>
> I've created a simple VB6 application that I run on the web tier to call a
> method on the proxy stub and this successfully runs on the data tier.
>
> However, I've attempted to create an ASP page that does exactly the same
> thing and it falls over.
>
> err.description: Permission denied
> err.number: 70
>
> I presume that this is a permissions problem for the anonymous web user.
> Is it that the web user can't access the Proxy stub, or is it a
> permissions thing on the data tier?
>
> Any advice would be most welcome
>



Under Windows 2003 only members of the <machine>\Distributed COM Users group
is allowed to access any COM+ objects from a remote computer. There are
various approaches to solving the problem. You could add the name of the
remote user to this group, or you can change the default COM Security
permissions to allow Everyone access.

On the Windows 2003 server, bring up your Component Services control panel
applet and right click on "My Computer". Choose the Com Security tabe and
add "Everyone" both local and remote access.

HTH

Brian



Griff 01-16-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
> You may need...
> ...permissions at the file level for the DLL or whatever
> is exposing that com object.


The web (Win2000) and data (Win2003) servers are not in a domain, and there
is no TRUST relationship between them.

I added the permission you mentioned to the DLL in the web\c$\program
files\complus\{a9832.....}\myDLL.dll - no luck.

I'll write up my full setup in a reply to Brian Muth (in this same thread)

Thanks

Griff





Griff 01-16-2006 09:41 AM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately it did not work.....

What I will attempt to do is to set out the full set of security permissions
and state what does and does not work. Hopefully, for those in the know, it
will be obvious what my mistake is.

SET UP
Web tier = Win2000
Data tier = Win2003
These servers are NOT in a domain and there is no trust relationship between
these servers. They are effectively "stand alone".

COM+ APPLICATION
Package installed on DATA tier and exported as a proxy (COM+ 1.0 format).
This is installed on the WEB tier.

WHAT DOES WORK
Logging on as the WEB TIER administrator, I can run an executable that calls
this proxy COM+ application. It successfully executes on the DATA tier.

WHAT DOES NOT WORK
Opening up a web browser to run an ASP page that does exactly what the
executably in the previous step did. Error is: 70, Permission denied.

PERMISSIONS ON THE WEB TIER
From Component Services control panel, myComputer properties, Default
security:
Default access permissions: [blank]
Default launch permissions: IUSR_WEB "Allow defaultLaunchPermission"

From Component Services control panel, COM+ Applications, myPackage
properties
Only property is the IP address of the DATA tier on the Activation tab

From Component Services control panel, COM+ Applications, myPackage,
myComponent properties
All greyed out

C:\Program Files\ComPlus Applications\{A8....}\myDLL.dll
I tried to explicitly give IUSR_WEB explicit EXECUTE permissions, but this
had no effect, so I removed it.

PERMISSIONS ON THE DATA TIER
From Component Services control panel, myComputer properties, COM security
tab:
Access permissions (default): EVERYONE & SELF (local and remote access),
SYSTEM (local access)
Access permissions (limits) : ANONYMOUS LOGON, DISTRIBUTED COM USES,
EVERYONE ( local & remote access)
Launch and activation permissions (default): ADMINISTRATORS, EVERYONE,
INTERACTIVE, SYSTEM (local launch, remote launch, local activation, remote
activation)
Launch and activation permissions (limits): ADMINISTRATORS, DISTRIBUTED COM
USERS, EVERYONE (Local & remote launch, local & remote activation).

From Component Services control panel, COM+ Applications, myPackage
properties
Security: enforce access checks for this application; perform access checks
at the process and component level; authentication level (packet);
impersonation level (impersonate)
Identity: This user (DATA\Administrator)
Activation: Server

From Component Services control panel, COM+ Applications, myPackage,
myComponent properties
Transactions support: not supported
Security: nothing ticked
Activation: don't force activation context
Concurrency: required

The actual DLL is held on the D drive and it's security is: Administrators
(Full control); System (Full control); USERS (Read & Execute)

Not sure what else to try.....

Griff


"Brian Muth" <bmuth@mvps.org> wrote in message > Under Windows 2003 only
members of the <machine>\Distributed COM Users group
> is allowed to access any COM+ objects from a remote computer. There are
> various approaches to solving the problem. You could add the name of the
> remote user to this group, or you can change the default COM Security
> permissions to allow Everyone access.
>
> On the Windows 2003 server, bring up your Component Services control panel
> applet and right click on "My Computer". Choose the Com Security tabe and
> add "Everyone" both local and remote access.
>
> HTH
>
> Brian
>
>




Griff 01-16-2006 09:57 AM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
Is "Roles" something that I should be investigating (or at least users
within the CREATEOWNER role)? I'm not familiar with roles....

Griff



Griff 01-16-2006 02:44 PM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
Oh, missed out the following:

On DATA tier, added EVERYONE to the [Distributed Com Users] Group, but to no
avail.

Griff



Griff 01-17-2006 09:19 AM

Re: Error instantiating a COM+ proxy
 
Hmmm

On the web tier I temporarily added the "IUSR_Server" to the Windows
Administrators group and it didn't help. Not sure what this tells me - does
it tell me that the permission denied error is on the DATA tier?

All help appreciated in this one

Griff




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.