Velocity Reviews

-   -   RSS newsfeed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t799966-rss-newsfeed.html)

Dennis Allen 11-07-2005 04:06 AM

RSS newsfeed

Hi. I'm new to this newsgroup, hope someone here can help. I wrote a
simple ASP that reads various newsfeeds for my local astronomy club. See
http://www.wmich-astro.org, on left frame click [news links].

Problem. Sometimes when I execute my script, I get:

msxml3.dll error '800c0005'
The system cannot locate the resource specified
mas/asp/astrowire2.asp, line 51

I use the following script code:

<%@ language="javascript" %>
..
..
//
function xml_load(src) {
var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
xmlhttp.send()
xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object" ||
xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
}
if (typeof(xmlDoc) != "object") return 'no object defined'
if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
var x = ''
// x += 'Error in File: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.url + '<br>'
x += 'Error in File: ' + src + '<br>'
x += 'Error on Line: ' + xmlDoc.parseError.line + '<br>'
x += 'Error Code : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode + '<br>'
x += 'Error Reason : ' + xmlDoc.parseError.reason
return x
}
return xmlDoc
}

The xmlhttp.send is line 51. If I use the browser's refresh (several
times) I can sometimes get it to work. I wish I could trap and correct
for this error. Is this a firewall problem? Is there anything the
person who runs the server can do? Any help would be greatly
appreciated...Dennis

Dennis Allen 11-08-2005 02:56 AM

Re: RSS newsfeed

Hi. I googled this problem, few hits. People suspect it's a firewall
problem. Perhaps the browser is not releasing variables. I tried to
clean up my function, but still get the error and need to refresh once
in a while. I'd like to release memory variables, but that should be
already done in javascript.

//
function xml_load(src) {
var xmlhttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
xmlhttp.open("GET",src,false)
xmlhttp.send()
var xmlDoc = xmlhttp.responseXML
if (xmlhttp.GetResponseHeader("Content-Type") != "text/xml") {
var szResponse = xmlhttp.responseText
xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
if (typeof(xmlDoc) == "object") xmlDoc.loadXML(szResponse)
}

bregent 11-15-2005 11:38 PM

Re: RSS newsfeed

Sorry I cannot help Dennis, but are you willing to include all of your rss code
so that I can use it in one of my sites? I may be able to help you troubleshoot
your problem too.

In article <#sELtC14FHA.2364@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Dennis Allen says...

bregent 11-21-2005 09:00 PM

Re: RSS newsfeed

Dennis, thanks very much. I'll give it a try in the next few days and get back
to you.

In article <uu0O4rs7FHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Dennis Allen says...