Velocity Reviews

-   -   Prompting a download of an external file in ASP. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t799199-prompting-a-download-of-an-external-file-in-asp.html)

Andrew Henry 07-20-2005 02:19 PM

Prompting a download of an external file in ASP.

I'm trying to create an ASP page which, when it loads runs the ASP code
first then prompts the user to download a text file. I know the answer
might be obvious to some of you, but I've sone several searches online
and I'm not getting anything.

1) Run code in ASP page.

2) Prompt user for download of external txt file after code is finished
running.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] 07-20-2005 02:50 PM

Re: Prompting a download of an external file in ASP.

What do you mean by "external"?

To force a download prompt for a file that might otherwise open directly in
the browser (e.g. TXT, HTM, JPG etc) see http://www.aspfaq.com/2161

Andrew Henry 07-20-2005 02:59 PM

Re: Prompting a download of an external file in ASP.

By external I mean it's on the same server instead of being the ASP file
itself. (I've tried making an ASP page that tricks the browser and
downloads as a txt file, but it doesn't meet the specifications of the
application). The link you've given me seems to be what I'm looking for
though, thanks!

Bullschmidt 07-21-2005 01:28 AM

Re: Prompting a download of an external file in ASP.

And another option would be to put the text files into zip files and
then simply link to those...

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance ASP Web Designer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com