Velocity Reviews

-   -   Creating sub-recordsets (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t798890-creating-sub-recordsets.html)

Giles 06-05-2005 09:55 PM

Creating sub-recordsets

How do I create a recordset from another?

e.g.
sSQL1="SELECT * FROM ThisTable"
rs1.open sSQL1,conn

sSQL2="Select * from (rs1?) WHERE name='fred' "
rs2.open sSQL2,conn

TIA
Giles

Bob Lehmann 06-05-2005 10:16 PM

Re: Creating sub-recordsets

Why don't you just run the second statement to begin with?

Bob Lehmann

Giles 06-05-2005 10:35 PM

Re: Creating sub-recordsets

The first statement takes about 5 secs to execute. Didn't make myself v
clear - the 1st statement is full of conditions, to a Search database. The
second is to filter and order search results into various categories without
having to make the main trip again.
Giles

Bob Barrows [MVP] 06-05-2005 10:51 PM

Re: Creating sub-recordsets

Giles wrote:
> How do I create a recordset from another?
>
> e.g.
> sSQL1="SELECT * FROM ThisTable"
> rs1.open sSQL1,conn
>
> sSQL2="Select * from (rs1?) WHERE name='fred' "
> rs2.open sSQL2,conn

Use the recordset's Filter property.

Bob Barrows
PS. Avoid Selstar: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2096
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Giles 06-06-2005 12:22 AM

Re: Creating sub-recordsets

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote
> Giles wrote:
>> How do I create a recordset from another?
>>
>> e.g.
>> sSQL1="SELECT * FROM ThisTable"
>> rs1.open sSQL1,conn
>>
>> sSQL2="Select * from (rs1?) WHERE name='fred' "
>> rs2.open sSQL2,conn
>>

> Use the recordset's Filter property.
>
> Bob Barrows
> PS. Avoid Selstar: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2096

Thanks Bob. I do avoid * where poss since joining this NG - almost as bad as
top (or bottom) posting! However, the article seems to suggest that if you
want all fields, it is better to explicitly name the lot. Is that right?
Does everyone do that?
Giles

Bob Barrows [MVP] 06-06-2005 12:48 AM

Re: Creating sub-recordsets

Giles wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote
>> Giles wrote:
>>> How do I create a recordset from another?
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>> sSQL1="SELECT * FROM ThisTable"
>>> rs1.open sSQL1,conn
>>>
>>> sSQL2="Select * from (rs1?) WHERE name='fred' "
>>> rs2.open sSQL2,conn
>>>

>> Use the recordset's Filter property.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>> PS. Avoid Selstar: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2096

> Thanks Bob. I do avoid * where poss since joining this NG - almost as
> bad as top (or bottom) posting! However, the article seems to suggest
> that if you want all fields, it is better to explicitly name the lot.

"seems to suggest"? I thought it was worded strongly enough that it would do
more than "seem to suggest" ,,, :-)

> Is that right?

Yes

> Does everyone do that?

Everyone who :
a) knows the pitfalls of selstar
b) is not lazy
c) wants to reduce network traffic and the time connected to the database,
resulting in better performance and resource utilization

:-)

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET