Velocity Reviews

-   -   connection failure (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t798433-connection-failure.html)

middletree 04-07-2005 02:13 AM

connection failure

Sorry for the crosspost (I posted this on the asp.db group last night). But
since I had no answer there, I'm hoping for better luck here. I'm pretty
much tried everything I know. Here's the problem:

I have an Intranet-based app at work, and I have it in two places there: a
dev machine and a production box. In both cases, the ASP files and SQL
Server 2000 database are on the same box. I have it running smoothly in both
places at work.

However, I've been trying to set it up at home, and cannot make the SQL
Server connection work for some reason. I've been working on this off and on
for weeks, and I just don't get what I am missing.

First, my code:
<!-- #INCLUDE FILE="includes/dbinc.asp" -->
which points to a page contaning only the followig lines:

=======================
<%
Dim strDBConnection
strDBConnection = _
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;" & _
"Persist Security Info=False;" & _
"Data Source=w2003\ticketlog;" & _
"User ID=asp;" & _
"Password=asp;" & _
"Database=argonet;"
Dim objConnection
Set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConnection.Open strDBConnection
%>
==============================

It's at this point that I should add that this code is just like the
working code from my stuff at work. Only the names have been changed. I
should also add that here at home, the machine I am working on has been
named "W2003", so when I set up SQL Server, it named the instance
W2003\TICKETLOG.(Windows NT). Yes, it has that part with the parentheses.
I don't think the slash is the problem.

Anyway, here is the message I see in the browser when I try to get to any
page which calls this connection code.

====================================
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'
Login failed for user 'asp'.
/ticketlog/includes/argodbinc.asp, line 15
====================================

I want to add that I did go to the server in EP, went to Security, then
doule-clicked the user called asp, and went to the database tab to make sure
that db_owner and everything else is checked. I then did the same for
INETUSER.

Ok, so pretend I have never done any of this before. What steps do I need to
set up this thing? In my case, I did add a user named asp and gave full
permissions, but assume I haven't done that. Perhaps with detailed
hand-holding instructions, I'll see what I am missing.

Steven Burn 04-07-2005 02:32 AM

Re: connection failure

http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2138
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

Is this one of yours aswell btw?

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/1..._problems.html

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

middletree 04-07-2005 03:42 AM

Re: connection failure

"Steven Burn" <somewhere@in-time.invalid> wrote

http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2138

This one basically told me to have mixed authentication, which I already
had.

http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

This one had some things to check, but mine code and settings line up with
this article's examples perfectly.

Is this one of yours aswell btw?

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/1...setup_problems.
html

Yes, it is. One person answered, and it was more of a comment than anything
that I could use. I dropped this project for a few weeks, but I am now
getting back to it.

Ray Costanzo [MVP] 04-07-2005 04:15 AM

Re: connection failure

Try opening up Query Analyzer and connecting to that SQL Server with asp/asp
credentials. Does that work?

Ray at home

middletree 04-07-2005 04:41 AM

Re: connection failure

I'm not sure what you mean. I open up QA just fine. I don't see any way to
use QA to connect with anything, though.

message news:u68kweyOFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Ollie 04-07-2005 09:23 AM

Re: connection failure

Hi,

I sometimes have the same problem when connecting to different SQL servers.
Try adding "Network Library=DBMSSOCN" to the end of your connection string.
Like this...

I'm not promising anything though ;-)

strDBConnection = _
"Provider=SQLOLEDB;" & _
"Persist Security Info=False;" & _
"Data Source=w2003\ticketlog;" & _
"User ID=asp;" & _
"Password=asp;" & _
"Database=argonet;" & _
"Network Library=DBMSSOCN"

Ollie

Ollie 04-07-2005 09:34 AM

Re: connection failure

A bit more info on the "Network Library" param

This was found on http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Example:
"Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=190.190.200.100,1433;Network
Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=pubs;User ID=sa;Password=asdasd;"

Name Network library
dbnmpntw Win32 Named Pipes
dbmssocn Win32 Winsock TCP/IP
dbmsspxn Win32 SPX/IPX
dbmsvinn Win32 Banyan Vines
dbmsrpcn Win32 Multi-Protocol (Windows RPC)

Important note!
When connecting through the SQLOLEDB provider use the syntax Network
Library=dbmssocn
and when connecting through MSDASQL provider use the syntax Network=dbmssocn

middletree 04-07-2005 11:27 AM

Re: connection failure

It gave me a different error:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
denied.

Ollie 04-07-2005 12:37 PM

Re: connection failure

Try "Network Library=dbnmpntw" as you are not using the IP address.

Have you tried "localhost" instead of "w2003" in the Data Source"???

middletree 04-07-2005 01:37 PM

Re: connection failure

I'm at work now, so I'll have to try that tonight.

No, I haven't tried localhost yet.