Velocity Reviews

-   -   Jscript or Javascript? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t797812-jscript-or-javascript.html)

Drew 02-01-2005 04:22 PM

Jscript or Javascript?

I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering if
Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
need to make a decision...

Thanks,
Drew

Ray Costanzo [MVP] 02-01-2005 05:03 PM

Re: Jscript or Javascript?

Javascript. There's no relevant difference other than the name, really.
But do a <script type="text/javascript"> as a good practice.

Ray at work

Patrice 02-01-2005 05:09 PM

Re: Jscript or Javascript?

If everybody uses IE, you'll use JScript. If needed, you can still check
your site using some other browser to check if it works with JavaScript (and
over time have guidelines to use common features).

If I remember the main difference is in indexing arrays (JScript will use
parenthesis or brackets while JavaScript uses only brackets).

IMO it's likely you'll have more problem with the Document Object Model
exposed by various targeted browsers than with JScript/JavaScript
themselves...

Patrice

--

de news:%23jbiuoHCFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Hal Rosser 02-02-2005 04:14 AM

Re: Jscript or Javascript?

"Drew" <drew.laing@NOswvtc.dmhmrsas.virginia.SPMgov> wrote in message
> I need to do some client-side scripting for my Intranet and was wondering

if
> Jscript or Javascript would be better? Everyone here uses IE 5.0 +, so I
> need to make a decision...
>
> Thanks,
> Drew

JavaScript (play it safe) if your sys admin decides to support firefox,
you'll be covered

Dave Anderson 02-02-2005 09:11 PM

Re: Jscript or Javascript?

Patrice wrote:
> If I remember the main difference is in indexing arrays (JScript will
> use parenthesis or brackets while JavaScript uses only brackets).

That's incorrect. Internet Explorer allows parentheses where brackets should
go when accessing DOM collections, but not for arrays. Note that Internet
Explorer is not JScript, and DOM is not JScript.

--
Dave Anderson