Velocity Reviews

-   -   Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t797609-adodb-commandset-errror-value-is-of-the-wrong-type.html)

01-12-2005 11:09 PM

Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

A user encountered an error while attempting to re-log into our registration
system:

Adodb.commandset error value of wrong type

According to his email this is what he go...a google search returns nothing
specific on this.

My code is basically checking to see whether a cookie exists and if so
retrieves some key customer details and deposits into a tracking table.

This is the first time in three months I have ever seen this error.
Additionally, if I attempt to use his registered email address to enter the
system it works perfectly.

I am at a loss here and appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks
Jason

Bob Barrows [MVP] 01-12-2005 11:14 PM

Re: Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

jason@catamaranco.com wrote:
> A user encountered an error while attempting to re-log into our
> registration system:
>
> Adodb.commandset error value of wrong type
>
> According to his email this is what he go...a google search returns
> nothing specific on this.
>
> My code is basically checking to see whether a cookie exists and if so
> retrieves some key customer details and deposits into a tracking
> table.
>
> This is the first time in three months I have ever seen this error.
> Additionally, if I attempt to use his registered email address to
> enter the system it works perfectly.
>
> I am at a loss here and appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Show us some code. I've never heard of a commandset ...

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Patrice 01-13-2005 11:03 AM

Re: Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

Could it be because you try to use a bad value for an ADODB.Command
parameter ?

Patrice
--

<jason@catamaranco.com> a écrit dans le message de
> A user encountered an error while attempting to re-log into our

registration
> system:
>
> Adodb.commandset error value of wrong type
>
> According to his email this is what he go...a google search returns

nothing
> specific on this.
>
> My code is basically checking to see whether a cookie exists and if so
> retrieves some key customer details and deposits into a tracking table.
>
> This is the first time in three months I have ever seen this error.
> Additionally, if I attempt to use his registered email address to enter

the
> system it works perfectly.
>
> I am at a loss here and appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

01-13-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

Sure. The client did not provide the line number of the error. I am afraid I
will have to show you the entire code page - I apologize in advance if my
coding is too verbose and cluttered. I realise better programmers whould
have have used less more elegant code..

I am using the 'browserhawk' component for browser and cookie sniffing.

<%
Const adCmdTable = &H0002
Const adCmdStoredProc = &H0004

'---- ParameterDirectionEnum Values ----
Const adParamUnknown = &H0000
Const adParamInput = &H0001
Const adParamOutput = &H0002
Const adParamInputOutput = &H0003
Const adParamReturnValue = &H0004

'---- DataTypeEnum Values ----
Const adEmpty = 0
Const adTinyInt = 16
Const adSmallInt = 2
Const adInteger = 3
Const adBigInt = 20
Const adUnsignedTinyInt = 17
Const adUnsignedSmallInt = 18
Const adUnsignedInt = 19
Const adUnsignedBigInt = 21
Const adSingle = 4
Const adDouble = 5
Const adCurrency = 6
Const adDecimal = 14
Const adNumeric = 131
Const adBoolean = 11
Const adError = 10
Const adUserDefined = 132
Const adVariant = 12
Const adIDispatch = 9
Const adIUnknown = 13
Const adGUID = 72
Const adDate = 7
Const adDBDate = 133
Const adDBTime = 134
Const adDBTimeStamp = 135
Const adBSTR = 8
Const adChar = 129
Const adVarChar = 200
Const adLongVarChar = 201
Const adWChar = 130
Const adVarWChar = 202
Const adLongVarWChar = 203
Const adBinary = 128
Const adVarBinary = 204
Const adLongVarBinary = 205

const SITENAME = "www.catamarans.com"
const HOMEPAGE = "<H3><font color=blue>CATAMARANS</font>.COM MEMBERSHIP
PAGE</H3>"

function OutputHeader()
OutputHeader="<H2>" & HOMEPAGE & "</H2>"
end function

function GetConnection()
const DSN = "V032U10DUW"
const UID = "V032U10DUW"
const PASSWORD = "cU3QmtgDyzWX"

Dim p_oConn, sDSN
Set p_oConn = server.createObject("ADODB.Connection")
'//sDSN = "DSN=" & DSN & ";uid=" & UID & ";password=" & PASSWORD
'//sDSN.open = "driver={SQL
Server};server=MAXSQL00?.maximumasp.com;DB=yourSQL DBName;UID=yourSQLLogin;PW
D=YourSQLPassword"
p_oConn.open "driver={SQL
Server};server=MAXSQL008.maximumasp.com;DB=V032U10 DUW;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=cU3
QmtgDyzWX"
Set GetConnection = p_oConn
end function

function GetStoredProcedure(oConnection, sName)
Dim oCmd
Set oCmd = Server.createobject("ADODB.Command")
Set oCmd.ActiveConnection = oConn
oCmd.CommandText = sName
oCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
Set GetStoredProcedure = oCmd
end function

Dim strs, strLen, ParDirLen, SubPathLen, Mystring
function stripParentDirectory(u_CurrentURL)
stripParentDirectory = u_CurrentURL
if instr(u_CurrentURL, "/") <> instrRev(u_CurrentURL, "/") then
strs = split(u_CurrentURL, "/")
stripParentDirectory = strs(1)
end if
end function

'STRIP SUB PATH AFTER PARENT DIRECTORY AND CREATE CORRECT URL

Function stripSubPath(ParentDir, u_CurrentURL)

strLen = len(u_CurrentURL)
ParDirLen=len(ParentDir) + 2 '//add slash x 2

SubPathLen= strLen - ParDirLen
'//Response.write SubPathLen

MyString= Right(u_CurrentURL,SubPathLen)
MyString = "http://www." & ParentDir & ".com/" & MyString
stripSubPath =MyString
End Function

<!--#INCLUDE VIRTUAL= "/catamaranco/join/utility.asp"-->
<% set bh = Server.CreateObject("cyScape.browserObj")
checkType = 3

if checkType = 3 then
bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_both,referrer"
elseif checkType = 2 then
bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_sess"
elseif checkType = 1 then
bh.SetExtProperties "cookie_perm"
else
response.write "<html>bad checkType specified</html>"
response.end
end if
bh.GetExtPropertiesEx
'------------------------------
'COOKIES= DISABLED/TURNED OFF
'-----------------------------
u_CurrentURL = Request.ServerVariables("URL")
If u_CurrentURL ="" then
u_CurrentURL ="unknown"
End If
u_VisitorIP = request.ServerVariables("remote_addr")
If u_VisitorIP ="" then
u_VisitorIP ="unknown"
End If
u_Referer = request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
If u_Referer ="" then
u_Referer ="unknown"
End If
u_Browser = request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
If u_Browser ="" then
u_Browser ="unknown"
End If
u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
End If
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL="Unknown"
End If
if not bh.cookies then %>
<%
'//FromURL = Bh.Referrer
response.redirect "/catamaranco/join/?CookieChk=Unsupported"
'//&FromURL=" & FromURL

else

'---------------------------------------------
'COOKIES= TRUE or Logged in WITHOUT cookies = TRUE
'---------------------------------------------
if bh.cookiesEnabled THEN 'or Request("vID") then '//cookies enabled

'---------------------------------------------
'Check if Cookie there....
'---------------------------------------------
If request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_id") or Request("vID") Then

vID=request("vID")
u_id=request.cookies("Prospect")("u_id")

u_CurrentURL=request.servervariables("URL")
set oConn = GetConnection()

If vID <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
CookieBln=0
'//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
u_id=Request("vID")
u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")

Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
adParamInput,10,u_id)
set oRS = oCmd.execute()

if oRS.eof then
Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our database")
else
u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))

end if
Else '//Cookie present, but no VID
CookieBln=1
u_name = request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_name")

End If

Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_logonuser")
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_name", adVarChar,
adParamInput,50,u_name)
'oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_password",
adVarChar, adParamInput,12,spassword)
set oRS = oCmd.execute()
if oRS.eof then
sError = "<BR>We have a cookie ID but no record in the
database. You may have been deleted from database<br><br>"
else '//SUCCESSFUL

Dim u_id, document, CookieBln, u_createDate, u_ExpiryDate,
DateToday, OverdueDays
u_id = oRS.fields("u_id")
'//u_createDate =oRS.fields("u_createDate")
u_ExpiryDate= oRS.fields("u_ExpiryDate")
If DATEDIFF("d",u_ExpiryDate,NOW()) >= 0 then
'//*** REGISTRATION HAS EXPIRED
DateToday
response.write "Your registration has <font size=3 color=red
face=verdana>expired</font>. You will need to update "
'//response.write "Your expiration is overdue by" &
OverdueDays & " days<br><br>"
document = "/catamaranco/join/Update2.asp?u_CurrentURL=" &
u_CurrentURL & "&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL
response.redirect document
End If
End If

Sub WriteVariables

Response.write "<p>CookieBln= " & CookieBln & "<p>"
Response.write "u_FromURL: " & u_FromURL & "<br>"
Response.write "u_CurrentURL: " & u_CurrentURL & "<BR>"
Response.write "Prospect expiry date: " & ExpDate & "<br>"
Response.write "Prospect ID: " & u_id & "<br>"
Response.write "Prospect USERNAME: " & u_name & "<br>"
Response.write "Prospect VisitorIP: " & u_VisitorIP & "<br>"
End Sub

'//response.end
'//INSERT INTO USERPATH
Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
adParamInput,4,u_id)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter(" u_name", adVarChar,
adParamInput,70, u_name)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("UserIP", adVarChar,
adParamInput,20, u_VisitorIP)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLFrom", adVarChar,
adParamInput,100,u_FromURL)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLCurrent", adVarChar,
adParamInput,100,u_CurrentURL)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_browser", adVarChar,
adParamInput,100,u_browser)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_Cookies", adInteger,
adParamInput,4,CookieBln)
'//oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_OS", adVarChar,
adParamInput,100,u_OS)
'//set oReturn = oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
adParamOutput)
'//oCmd.Parameters.append oReturn

'<!--#include file="EmailLoginUser.asp"-->
oCmd.execute()
Else
'---------------------------------------------
'..COOKIE DELETED
'---------------------------------------------

u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL="Unknown"
End If
End If

u_CurrentURL=Request.Servervariables("URL")
'//response.write u_CurrentURL

'response.write u_FromURL
'response.end
Response.redirect
"/catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Deleted&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL &
"&u_CurrentURL=" & u_CurrentURL

End If
else
'---------------------------------------------
'SUPPORTS COOKIES BUT Disabled
'---------------------------------------------

u_FromURL=bh.Referrer
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL=Request.servervariables("Remote_Host")
If u_FromURL="" then
u_FromURL="Unknown"
End If
End If
If u_CurrentURL="" then
u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")
If u_CurrentURL="" then
u_CurrentURL="Unknown"
End If
End If
'response.write u_FromURL
'response.write "<b>Cookies disabled<br>"
'//response.write
"catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Disabled&FromURL=" & u_FromURL

'//response.write "<p>" & "Just logged in with VID...but no
database processing script" & "<p>VID=" & Request("vID")
If Request("vID") <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
CookieBln=0
'//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
u_id=Request("vID")
u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")
set oConn = GetConnection()
Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,
adParamInput,10,u_id)
set oRS = oCmd.execute()

if oRS.eof then
Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our database")
else
u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
'//response.write u_name
'//response.end

Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
adInteger, adParamInput,4,u_id)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter(" u_name",
adVarChar, adParamInput,70, u_name)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("UserIP",
adVarChar, adParamInput,20, u_VisitorIP)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLFrom",
adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_FromURL)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("URLCurrent",
adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_CurrentURL)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_browser",
adVarChar, adParamInput,100,u_browser)
oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_Cookies",
adInteger, adParamInput,4,CookieBln)
oCmd.execute()
response.write "done"
end if
Else

response.redirect
"/catamaranco/join/logon.asp?CookieChk=Disabled&u_FromURL=" & u_FromURL &
"&u_CurrentURL=" & u_CurrentURL
End If
end if
End If
%>

Bob Barrows [MVP] 01-13-2005 06:34 PM

Re: Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

jason@catamaranco.com wrote:
> Sure. The client did not provide the line number of the error. I am
> afraid I will have to show you the entire code page -

Why?
sigh - you're the one asking for help. You could not have gone to the
trouble to extract your ADO code?

I'm going to quickly scan this and give you my thoughts after the snippage.

> I apologize in
> advance if my coding is too verbose and cluttered. I realise better
> programmers whould have have used less more elegant code..

Don't worry about it.

> I am using the 'browserhawk' component for browser and cookie
> sniffing.

irrelevant to this issue.

> <%

<snip>
Opportunity to reduce the verbosity:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2112

<snip>

> function GetConnection()
> const DSN = "V032U10DUW"
> const UID = "V032U10DUW"
> const PASSWORD = "cU3QmtgDyzWX"

You should have censored this (or is this already censored?)

> Dim p_oConn, sDSN
> Set p_oConn = server.createObject("ADODB.Connection")

With IIS 5 and above, you can improve performance by using the vbscript
CreateObject (just leave out the "Server." portion)

<snip of comments - sigh>

> p_oConn.open "driver={SQL
> Server};server=MAXSQL008.maximumasp.com;DB=V032U10 DUW;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=cU3
> QmtgDyzWX"

Why use ODBC? The native SQL Server OLE DB provider (SQLOLEDB) will be more
functional and robust:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

> Set GetConnection = p_oConn
> end function
>
> function GetStoredProcedure(oConnection, sName)
> Dim oCmd
> Set oCmd = Server.createobject("ADODB.Command")
> Set oCmd.ActiveConnection = oConn

good, you used Set

> oCmd.CommandText = sName
> oCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
> Set GetStoredProcedure = oCmd
> end function

<snip>

> set oConn = GetConnection()
>

> If vID <> "" then '// no cookie, but ID is present
> CookieBln=0
> '//retrieve user database details as cookies not present
> u_id=Request("vID")

You should specify the collection that contains this variable: is it
Querystring or Form?

> u_FromURL=Request("u_FromURL")
> u_CurrentURL=Request.servervariables("URL")

You should verify that these variables have good data at this point, esp.
the first two.

> Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")

You should not use "sp_" as a prefix for non-system stored procedures.

> oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
> adInteger, adParamInput,10,u_id)
> set oRS = oCmd.execute()

With no output or return parameter to worry about, you don't need an
explicit Command object here. Simply do this:

Set oRS = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
oConn,sp_GetUser u_id, oRS

> if oRS.eof then
> Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our
> database") else
> u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
>
> end if
> Else '//Cookie present, but no VID
> CookieBln=1
> u_name = request.Cookies("Prospect")("u_name")
>
> End If
>
> Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_logonuser")
> oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_name",
> adVarChar, adParamInput,50,u_name)
> 'oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_password",
> adVarChar, adParamInput,12,spassword)
> set oRS = oCmd.execute()

Same comment as above. Command object is not necessary.

> if oRS.eof then

<snip>

> Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
> oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger,

<snip>
> oCmd.execute()

Same comment as above. Command object is not necessary.

<snip>
> Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"sp_GetUser")
> oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",
> adInteger, adParamInput,10,u_id)
> set oRS = oCmd.execute()

ditto

> if oRS.eof then
> Response.Write("You do not appear to be in our
> database") else
> u_name=escapeString(oRS.fields("u_name"))
> '//response.write u_name
> '//response.end
>
> Set oCmd = GetStoredProcedure(oConn,"spr_addUserPath")
> oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id",

<snip>
> oCmd.execute()

ditto

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

01-14-2005 01:55 PM

Re: Adodb.Commandset errror - value is of the wrong type?

Many thanks Bob....I will follow your recommendations and clean up this
code....

- Jason