Velocity Reviews

-   -   CDONTS not working on W2000 Server (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t797086-cdonts-not-working-on-w2000-server.html)

tshad 11-15-2004 07:46 PM

CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

I am trying to run a test sending mail using CDONTS on my W2K3
machine.

It works fine running from my WXP Pro, but I don't recieve the mail if
run the W2K3 machine.

Both machines have IIS configured essentially the same.

************************************************** ****************************************
<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<%
response.write("Before Request.ServerVariables variable = " &
Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR") & "<br>")

response.write("after Request.ServerVariables variable = " &
Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR") & "<br>")

Dim iMsg
Dim iConf
Dim Flds
Dim strHTML

Const cdoSendUsingPickup = 1

set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
set iConf = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

Set Flds = iConf.Fields
With Flds
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing")
= cdoSendUsingPickup
' TODO: Replace <PICKUP DIRECTORY> with path to your
pickup directory
' Typically, c:\Inetpub\mailroot\pickup
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory")="C:\Inetpub\mailroot\p ickup"
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver")="smtp.interez.com"
.Update
End With

Dim iBP
With iMsg
Set .Configuration = iConf
.To = "tfs@ftsolutions.com"
.From = "tfs@ftsolutions.com"
.Subject = "A test page"
.HTMLBody = "This is a test page"
'TODO: if adding an attachment,
'uncomment the next line and alter file path as required
'Set iBP = iMsg.AddAttachment(App.Path & "\file1.txt")
.Send
End With

' Clean up variables.
Set iBP = Nothing
Set iMsg = Nothing
Set iConf = Nothing
Set Flds = Nothing

%>
************************************************** ************************
Is there something in Exchange that might be giving me a problem.

Exchange is not running on either machine.

Thanks,

Tom.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 11-15-2004 07:58 PM

Re: CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

Have you tried different domains (e.g. change the from and to to a hotmail
account)?
http://www.aspfaq.com/2511

Did you check in the badmail, queue, pickup folders, etc?
http://www.aspfaq.com/2254
http://www.aspfaq.com/2268

Since you have an SMTP server listed in the configuration properties, did
you try using cdoSendUsingPort instead cdoSendUsingPickup?

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

**************

************************************************** ************************

Jeff Cochran 11-15-2004 08:37 PM

Re: CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:46:26 -0800, "tshad"
<tscheiderich@ftsolutions.com> wrote:

> I am trying to run a test sending mail using CDONTS on my W2K3
>machine.
>
> It works fine running from my WXP Pro, but I don't recieve the mail if
>run the W2K3 machine.

CDONTS doesn't exist on Server 2003, switch to CDO.Message. See:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

But of course your code below already uses CDO so that may not be your
issue. Post error messages, check the queues, make sure that
smtp.interez.com is available to your system, etc.

Jeff

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 11-15-2004 08:56 PM

Re: CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

> make sure that smtp.interez.com is available to your system,

Since he specified cdoSendUsingPickup, I don't think this setting even comes
into play. An external SMTP server wouldn't be able to grab mail from his
local pickup folder anyway...

tshad 11-15-2004 09:01 PM

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <ten.xoc@dnartreb.noraa> wrote in message
> Have you tried different domains (e.g. change the from and to to a hotmail
> account)?
> http://www.aspfaq.com/2511
>
> Did you check in the badmail, queue, pickup folders, etc?
> http://www.aspfaq.com/2254
> http://www.aspfaq.com/2268
>
> Since you have an SMTP server listed in the configuration properties, did
> you try using cdoSendUsingPort instead cdoSendUsingPickup?

Haven't tried these yet. Not sure what they do - will look at the faqs you
quoted.

I assumed it was working correctly, since XP didn't have a problem.

Thanks,

Tom.

tshad 11-15-2004 09:05 PM

"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:46:26 -0800, "tshad"
> <tscheiderich@ftsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to run a test sending mail using CDONTS on my W2K3
>>machine.
>>
>> It works fine running from my WXP Pro, but I don't recieve the mail
>> if
>>run the W2K3 machine.

> CDONTS doesn't exist on Server 2003, switch to CDO.Message. See:
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
>
> But of course your code below already uses CDO so that may not be your
> issue. Post error messages, check the queues, make sure that
> smtp.interez.com is available to your system, etc.

I actually copied CDONTS to my server anyway from a 2000 server, just to see
if that was the problem - it wasn't.

However, you raise a good point - and I assumed (bad word) that if I was
setting the smtpserver in the program it should work fine. Do I need to
define the SMTP server (which is exchange and on another server) in my W2K3
somewhere? Even though it seems to have SMTP set up in the services - do I
need to point it to the Exchange server and will I have a relay problem in
this configuration?

Thanks,

Tom.

Jeff Cochran 11-15-2004 09:09 PM

Re: CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:56:38 -0500, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
<ten.xoc@dnartreb.noraa> wrote:

>> make sure that smtp.interez.com is available to your system,

>Since he specified cdoSendUsingPickup, I don't think this setting even comes
>into play. An external SMTP server wouldn't be able to grab mail from his
>local pickup folder anyway...

Missed that. Then he needs to have an SMTP server running, and he
said he didn't have Exchange on the systems.

Perhaps the OP could test with a generic CDO script using a remote
server.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran 11-15-2004 09:11 PM

Re: CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:01:36 -0800, "tshad"
<tscheiderich@ftsolutions.com> wrote:

>"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <ten.xoc@dnartreb.noraa> wrote in message
>> Have you tried different domains (e.g. change the from and to to a hotmail
>> account)?
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2511
>>
>> Did you check in the badmail, queue, pickup folders, etc?
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2254
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2268
>>
>> Since you have an SMTP server listed in the configuration properties, did
>> you try using cdoSendUsingPort instead cdoSendUsingPickup?

>Haven't tried these yet. Not sure what they do - will look at the faqs you
>quoted.
>
>I assumed it was working correctly, since XP didn't have a problem.

Dumb question: Do you have the Server 2003 firewall on? Blocking
port 25? And you can test your 2003 SMTP server outside of this to
make sure it's working, see:

HOW TO: Test SMTP Services Manually in Windows Server 2003

Jeff

tshad 11-15-2004 09:49 PM

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:01:36 -0800, "tshad"
> <tscheiderich@ftsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <ten.xoc@dnartreb.noraa> wrote in message
>>news:%231AYA30yEHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl.. .
>>> Have you tried different domains (e.g. change the from and to to a
>>> hotmail
>>> account)?
>>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2511
>>>
>>> Did you check in the badmail, queue, pickup folders, etc?
>>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2254
>>> http://www.aspfaq.com/2268
>>>
>>> Since you have an SMTP server listed in the configuration properties,
>>> did
>>> you try using cdoSendUsingPort instead cdoSendUsingPickup?

>>Haven't tried these yet. Not sure what they do - will look at the faqs
>>you
>>quoted.
>>
>>I assumed it was working correctly, since XP didn't have a problem.

> Dumb question: Do you have the Server 2003 firewall on? Blocking
> port 25? And you can test your 2003 SMTP server outside of this to
> make sure it's working, see:

I don't know?

Where would I check this?

I also found that I can't get access to our Exchange server - we have it
behind a checkpoint firewall.

This machine is only running our Web Server (it is the Web Server Edition).

Do I need to use our Exchange server?

This machine does have SMTP on it and it is running automatically. We are
only going to send outgoing messages. Can we just use SMTP on this machine?
Do we have to configure it somewhere?

Thanks,

Tom.

tshad 11-15-2004 09:50 PM

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:56:38 -0500, "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]"
> <ten.xoc@dnartreb.noraa> wrote:
>
>>> make sure that smtp.interez.com is available to your system,

>>Since he specified cdoSendUsingPickup, I don't think this setting even
>>comes
>>into play. An external SMTP server wouldn't be able to grab mail from his
>>local pickup folder anyway...

> Missed that. Then he needs to have an SMTP server running, and he
> said he didn't have Exchange on the systems.

I just replied to that questions (just found out that I can't access the
Exchange server here). We apparently do have SMTP running on the server,
but don't know if I need to configure it specifically.

Tom.