Velocity Reviews

-   -   Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea' (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t796755-weird-vbscript-syntax-error-in-an-asp-page-800a03ea.html)

NanQuan 10-16-2004 05:03 PM

Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea'

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this error since I am at a total
loss here. Usually I don't bother posting on any forums or groups on
the internet and prefer to solve stuff myself but this is a total
mistery.

I have a function inside an ASP page as a result of which I get the
following error message:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'

Syntax error

/admin/dev/Order/process.asp, line 160

Function heenEncode(string)
^

I developed this function in a seperate ASP page and it worked with no
problems what so ever. However when I finished developing it and
proceeded to implement it in my another ASP page I suddenly got this
weird error suggesting that there's something wrong with my syntax.

Here is the function:

<%
Function heenEncode(string)
x = Len(string)
y = Len(string)
a = 1

Set d = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

Do While x>0
T = heen(Mid(string,a,1))
d.Add x, T
a = a + 1
x = x - 1
Loop

Do While y>0
TT = TT + d.Item(y)
y = y - 1
Loop

Set d = Nothing
heenEncode = TT
End Function

Function heen(letter)
dim ArHeb,ArEng

ArHeb =Array("","","","","","","","","","","" ,"","","","","","","","","","","",""," ","","","")
ArEng =Array("a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k" ,"l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w"," x","y","z","@")

x = 26

Do While (x > -1)
If letter = ArHeb(x) Then
letterT = ArEng(x)
End If

x = x - 1
Loop

If letterT = "" Then
heen = letter
Else
heen = letterT
End If
End Function
%>

The 2nd function is a part of the first function, but it's not defined
within the first function so please don't start suggesting that as a
possible cause for the problem, plus it worked fine on a seperate ASP
page just as it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I read through some of
the posts here regarding this error, but I couldn't find any solution
that will work for my specific situation.

Thanks!!

Chris Barber 10-16-2004 09:44 PM

Re: Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea'

I put it into VB 6.0 and it complained about the use of 'string' as a variable name - it's a
reserved word of course as the definition of a datatype.

Change it.

Chris.

"NanQuan" <nanquan@walla.co.il> wrote in message
news:a94677ba.0410160903.6025d3da@posting.google.c om...
[...]

","","","")
[...]

---

NanQuan 10-17-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea'

Thanks for the suggestion Chris but that wasn't the problem. I changed
it to 'str', and then to 'blah' just to make sure. But I got the exact
same error message.

As I already mentioned I tested the same function on a seperate ASP
page and it worked perfectly just as it is. This problem only appeared
when I tried to implement it in another ASP page. So there's nothing
wrong with it's syntax.

Bob Barrows [MVP] 10-17-2004 02:10 PM

NanQuan wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion Chris but that wasn't the problem. I changed
> it to 'str', and then to 'blah' just to make sure. But I got the exact
> same error message.
>
> As I already mentioned I tested the same function on a seperate ASP
> page and it worked perfectly just as it is. This problem only appeared
> when I tried to implement it in another ASP page. So there's nothing
> wrong with it's syntax.

So doesn't it make sense that there is something wrong with the way you
"implemented" it? Provide some details so we can attempt to help you.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Chris Barber 10-17-2004 03:11 PM

Re: Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea'

OK, the line that is showing as the error is not the actual source of the problem. The source of
the problem lies above this line. The reason that the compiler is complaining is that the new
Function declaration cannot be started because of a prior issue.

Try this:

<%

Response.Write heenEncode("Test String")
'Line below is for PrimalScript testing.
'WScript.Echo Response.Write heenEncode("Test String")

Function heenEncode(pstrString)
Dim x, y, a, d, T, TT

x = Len(pstrString)
y = Len(pstrString)
a = 1

'This line is for PrimalScript testing.
'Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
Set d = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

Do While x>0
T = heen(Mid(pstrString,a,1))
d.Add x, T
a = a + 1
x = x - 1
Loop

Do While y>0
TT = TT + d.Item(y)
y = y - 1
Loop

Set d = Nothing

heenEncode = TT

End Function

Function heen(pstrLetter)
Dim ArHeb, ArEng
Dim x, letterT

ArHeb
=Array("","","","","","","","","","","" ,"","","","","","","","","","",""," ","
","","","")
ArEng
=Array("a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k" ,"l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w ","
x","y","z","@")

x = 26

Do While (x > -1)
If pstrLetter = ArHeb(x) Then
letterT = ArEng(x)
End If
x = x - 1
Loop

If letterT = "" Then
heen = pstrLetter
Else
heen = letterT
End If

End Function

%>

This worked in both PrimalScript (Interdev debugging) and as an .asp page in my local IIS (Windows
XP Pro).

Maybe you have a different version of the VBScript engine on that box?

news:a94677ba.0410170534.38c0b87d@posting.google.c om...
Thanks for the suggestion Chris but that wasn't the problem. I changed
it to 'str', and then to 'blah' just to make sure. But I got the exact
same error message.

As I already mentioned I tested the same function on a seperate ASP
page and it worked perfectly just as it is. This problem only appeared
when I tried to implement it in another ASP page. So there's nothing
wrong with it's syntax.

"Chris Barber" <chris@blue-canoe.co.uk.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> I put it into VB 6.0 and it complained about the use of 'string' as a variable name - it's a
> reserved word of course as the definition of a datatype.
>
> Change it.
>
> Chris.
>
> "NanQuan" <nanquan@walla.co.il> wrote in message
> news:a94677ba.0410160903.6025d3da@posting.google.c om...
> I'm hoping someone can help me solve this error since I am at a total
> loss here. Usually I don't bother posting on any forums or groups on
> the internet and prefer to solve stuff myself but this is a total
> mistery.
>
> I have a function inside an ASP page as a result of which I get the
> following error message:
>
> Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03ea'
>
> Syntax error
>
> /admin/dev/Order/process.asp, line 160
>
> Function heenEncode(string)
> ^
>
> I developed this function in a seperate ASP page and it worked with no
> problems what so ever. However when I finished developing it and
> proceeded to implement it in my another ASP page I suddenly got this
> weird error suggesting that there's something wrong with my syntax.
>
> Here is the function:
>
> <%
> Function heenEncode(string)
> x = Len(string)
> y = Len(string)
> a = 1
>
> Set d = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
>
> Do While x>0
> T = heen(Mid(string,a,1))
> d.Add x, T
> a = a + 1
> x = x - 1
> Loop
>
> Do While y>0
> TT = TT + d.Item(y)
> y = y - 1
> Loop
>
> Set d = Nothing
> heenEncode = TT
> End Function
>

> Function heen(letter)
> dim ArHeb,ArEng
>
> ArHeb

=Array("","","","","","","","","","","" ,"","","","","","","","","","",""," ","
> ","","","")
> ArEng

=Array("a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k" ,"l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w ","
> x","y","z","@")
>
> x = 26
>
> Do While (x > -1)
> If letter = ArHeb(x) Then
> letterT = ArEng(x)
> End If
>
> x = x - 1
> Loop
>
> If letterT = "" Then
> heen = letter
> Else
> heen = letterT
> End If
> End Function
> %>
>
> The 2nd function is a part of the first function, but it's not defined
> within the first function so please don't start suggesting that as a
> possible cause for the problem, plus it worked fine on a seperate ASP
> page just as it is.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I read through some of
> the posts here regarding this error, but I couldn't find any solution
> that will work for my specific situation.
>
> Thanks!!
>

> ---

---

NanQuan 10-23-2004 07:20 PM

Re: Weird VBScript Syntax error in an ASP page -> '800a03ea'

Thanks to everyone, but I found the Cause for this problem. Apparently
I had a subroutine above the line that the debugger pointed at in
which there was an open "Sub xxx" without an "End Sub".

It sounds really stupid, but the reason I missed it is because the sub
which was causing the problem was supposed to be a comment --> '

It was at the top of about 10 lines in a row that were comments, so I
didn't notice that I had forgotten to add a --> ' before the line.

Plus the debugger really threw me off course saying the problem was
specificaly with another line, when in fact it was at a totally
different location. So I didn't even thing to look elswhere at first.

Again, I really appreciate your time and effort in trying to help me
solve this problem.

Thanks Everyone!!!