Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP General (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f65-asp-general.html)
-   -   Work week (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t796724-work-week.html)

Mike D 10-13-2004 04:13 PM

Work week
 
I need to provide a pulldown with work weeks displayed. Is there any easy
way to do this?

I would like to go 6 months from the current date and show a week as Oct. 11
- 15. Which is Monday to Friday.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

TomB 10-13-2004 05:28 PM

Re: Work week
 

There's probably a better solution, but this should work.

<%
Response.write "<select name=""week"">" & vbCrLf
Dim currentMonday
Dim incrementingMonday
Dim endingFriday

currentMonday=DateAdd("d",Date, Weekday(Date)-6)

endingFriday=DateAdd("m",6,DateAdd("d",currentMond ay,4))
incrementingMonday=currentMonday

do while incrementingMonday<endingFriday
Response.Write vbTab & _
"<option value=""" & incrementingMonday & """>" & _
incrementingMonday & " - " & _
DateAdd("d",4, incrementingMonday) & _
"</option>" & vbCrLf
incrementingMonday=DateAdd("d",7,incrementingMonda y)
Loop
Response.write "</select>"
%>




"Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:264EC6E9-6755-4735-B0A3-389E27FD6130@microsoft.com...
> I need to provide a pulldown with work weeks displayed. Is there any easy
> way to do this?
>
> I would like to go 6 months from the current date and show a week as Oct.

11
> - 15. Which is Monday to Friday.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Mike




Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 10-13-2004 05:37 PM

Re: Work week
 
http://www.aspfaq.com/2519

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)




"Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:264EC6E9-6755-4735-B0A3-389E27FD6130@microsoft.com...
> I need to provide a pulldown with work weeks displayed. Is there any easy
> way to do this?
>
> I would like to go 6 months from the current date and show a week as Oct.

11
> - 15. Which is Monday to Friday.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Mike




Mike D 10-13-2004 05:45 PM

Re: Work week
 


"TomB" wrote:

>
> There's probably a better solution, but this should work.
>
> <%
> Response.write "<select name=""week"">" & vbCrLf
> Dim currentMonday
> Dim incrementingMonday
> Dim endingFriday
>
> currentMonday=DateAdd("d",Date, Weekday(Date)-6)
>
> endingFriday=DateAdd("m",6,DateAdd("d",currentMond ay,4))
> incrementingMonday=currentMonday
>
> do while incrementingMonday<endingFriday
> Response.Write vbTab & _
> "<option value=""" & incrementingMonday & """>" & _
> incrementingMonday & " - " & _
> DateAdd("d",4, incrementingMonday) & _
> "</option>" & vbCrLf
> incrementingMonday=DateAdd("d",7,incrementingMonda y)
> Loop
> Response.write "</select>"
> %>
>
>
>
>
> "Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:264EC6E9-6755-4735-B0A3-389E27FD6130@microsoft.com...
> > I need to provide a pulldown with work weeks displayed. Is there any easy
> > way to do this?
> >
> > I would like to go 6 months from the current date and show a week as Oct.

> 11
> > - 15. Which is Monday to Friday.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

>

This is what I did. I was hoping for a simpler solution but it wasn't too
bad after all.

Function DisplayDatePulldown()
Dim datToday, datEndTimePeriod
Dim intDaysSinceMonday, datLastMonday
Dim x, datLoopDate, strOut

datToday = Date()

intDaysSinceMonday = -Weekday(datToday) + 2
datLastMonday = DateAdd("D", intDaysSinceMonday, datToday)
datEndTimePeriod = DateAdd("M", 6, datLastMonday)

strOut = "<select size=""1"" name=""WeekOf"">"
strOut = strOut & "<option>Select Week</option>" & "<br>"

For x = 0 to DateDiff("w", datLastMonday, datEndTimePeriod, 2)
datLoopDate = DateAdd("WW", x, datLastMonday)

strOut = strOut & "<option Value=" & Chr(34) & datLoopDate & Chr(34) & ">" & _
UCase(MonthName(Month(datLoopDate), True)) & ". " & _
Day(datLoopDate) & " - " & Day(datLoopDate) + 4 & "</option>" & "<br>"

Next

DisplayDatePulldown = strOut & "</select>" & "<br>"
End Function

Thanks for you reply
Mike

Mike D 10-13-2004 06:13 PM

Re: Work week
 


"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> http://www.aspfaq.com/2519
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>
>
>
>
> "Mike D" <MikeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:264EC6E9-6755-4735-B0A3-389E27FD6130@microsoft.com...
> > I need to provide a pulldown with work weeks displayed. Is there any easy
> > way to do this?
> >
> > I would like to go 6 months from the current date and show a week as Oct.

> 11
> > - 15. Which is Monday to Friday.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

>

Thanks Aaron, I saw that and I am considering using one. I just haven't
made up my mind how much I will need it. I will have to eventually display
the date ranges in an HTML table so it would make a join easy for the display.

Mike

Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 10-13-2004 06:29 PM

Re: Work week
 
> I just haven't
> made up my mind how much I will need it.


What is the concern? Size? The table is tiny, even if you have dozens of
years in it...

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)



Mike D 10-13-2004 09:26 PM

Re: Work week
 
>
> What is the concern? Size? The table is tiny, even if you have dozens of
> years in it...
>

It's not the size. I'm just not sure of what to store in the table. If I
store everyday the only ones I am concerned with is the Monday's and
Friday's. What would the select look like?

If I stored just the ranges like below am I really any better off?
OCT. 18 - 22, 2004
OCT. 25 - 29, 2004
NOV. 1 - 5, 2004
NOV. 8 - 12, 2004
NOV. 15 - 19, 2004
NOV. 22 - 26, 2004

Mike


Aaron [SQL Server MVP] 10-13-2004 10:07 PM

Re: Work week
 
> It's not the size. I'm just not sure of what to store in the table. If I
> store everyday the only ones I am concerned with is the Monday's and
> Friday's. What would the select look like?


Well, presumably you would have a calculated column that says "this is a
workday", then:

WHERE calendar.isWorkDay=1

> If I stored just the ranges like below am I really any better off?


Not really, I don't think. Later you might find you want to use the
calendar for other things, like seminars (which may run into a Saturday) or
expense reports, that kind of thing. Also, it's not just weekdays you
should be concerned about, doesn't your company have any holidays where a
Monday or a Friday is NOT considered a normal workday? This is something
that with VBScript alone, you would have to have a big ugly case statement
or iterate through an array.

I think if you read through the article a little more thoroughly you'll see
the advantages of doing this kind of thing in the database...

A



Mike D 10-14-2004 12:19 PM

Re: Work week
 


"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:

> > It's not the size. I'm just not sure of what to store in the table. If I
> > store everyday the only ones I am concerned with is the Monday's and
> > Friday's. What would the select look like?

>
> Well, presumably you would have a calculated column that says "this is a
> workday", then:
>
> WHERE calendar.isWorkDay=1
>
> > If I stored just the ranges like below am I really any better off?

>
> Not really, I don't think. Later you might find you want to use the
> calendar for other things, like seminars (which may run into a Saturday) or
> expense reports, that kind of thing. Also, it's not just weekdays you
> should be concerned about, doesn't your company have any holidays where a
> Monday or a Friday is NOT considered a normal workday? This is something
> that with VBScript alone, you would have to have a big ugly case statement
> or iterate through an array.
>
> I think if you read through the article a little more thoroughly you'll see
> the advantages of doing this kind of thing in the database...
>
> A

Thanks again. I guess I do need to look further down the road. What I need
in this app is one thing but I could use a table like this more often.

Thanks again

Mike


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.