Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASP and ActiveX control client side - 101 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t796502-asp-and-activex-control-client-side-101-a.html)

Stephanie Stowe 09-27-2004 12:18 PM

ASP and ActiveX control client side - 101

Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done the
vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a munch of
ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side) and
ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
server. So I came here to you helpful folks.

Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What do I
put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for the
control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What could
prevent the control from making it to the client?

I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird thing
is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
*server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.

So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client that
it is the same one?

Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on the
servers is the same. I checked that.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Kaminski [MVP] 09-27-2004 12:40 PM

Re: ASP and ActiveX control client side - 101

"Stephanie Stowe" <NoSpam@IWishICould.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done the
> vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
> HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a munch
> of
> ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side)
> and
> ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
> common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
> understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
> server. So I came here to you helpful folks.
>
> Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What do
> put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for
> the
> control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What could
> prevent the control from making it to the client?

A CAB or the OCX. You reference it with the codebase property so the client
knows where to get it.

> I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird thing
> is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
> *server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
> different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
> property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.
>
> So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
> balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client
> that
> it is the same one?

It's the control's version number - that should be included as part of the
codebase in your client-side code for the object. The client looks at the
version installed versus what the code says.

> Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
> some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on
> the
> servers is the same. I checked that.

Here's an example:

<OBJECT id=control1 name=control1
codeBase=http://server/controls/control.cab#Version=2,6,3,2 >

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

Stephanie Stowe 09-27-2004 01:28 PM

"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
> "Stephanie Stowe" <NoSpam@IWishICould.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done

the
> > vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
> > HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a

munch
> > of
> > ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side)
> > and
> > ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
> > common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
> > understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
> > server. So I came here to you helpful folks.
> >
> > Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What

do
> > put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for
> > the
> > control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What

could
> > prevent the control from making it to the client?

> A CAB or the OCX. You reference it with the codebase property so the

client
> knows where to get it.
>
> > I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird

thing
> > is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
> > *server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
> > different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
> > property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.
> >
> > So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
> > balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client
> > that
> > it is the same one?

> It's the control's version number - that should be included as part of the
> codebase in your client-side code for the object. The client looks at the
> version installed versus what the code says.
>
> > Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
> > some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on
> > the
> > servers is the same. I checked that.

> Here's an example:
>
> <OBJECT id=control1 name=control1