Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using Performance Monitor for ASP apps (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t796377-using-performance-monitor-for-asp-apps.html)

dw 09-16-2004 07:30 PM

Using Performance Monitor for ASP apps

Hello, all. We've been having some issues with our web server, which has
Win2K SP3, IIS 5, 2GB RAM, 2.4 GHz processor, and 130+ GB of storage
available. The apps with problems hit our SQL Server 2K across the network.
We've had occasions where we get Timeout Expired errors in some of our ASP
apps, and non-ASP vendor apps on separate servers that hit the SQL Server
get into the same problem of hourglassing and not coming back. When the
admins reboot the SQL Server machine, it clears it up for awhile.

What we're wondering is this: Is it the web server, the network, or the SQL
Server that is creating this headache? During the times when we've had those
issues, we've immediately started running the Performance Monitor to see if
we can track the issue, with the following counters added:
- Request Wait Time (ASP)
- Requests Executing (ASP)
- Requests Timed Out (ASP)
- Pages/sec. (Memory)
- % Processor Time

We didn't see the above items spike during the times users were getting the
Timeout Expired errors. How can we look at one individual ASP application to
see if we can rule it out as the culprit? Also, how can we tell if this is
caused by the network or the database server?

Thanks.

Mark Schupp 09-16-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Using Performance Monitor for ASP apps

Sounds like a problem on the SQL Server system (may be caused by something
on the ASP systems). Best bet would be to monitor SQL server to see what is
going on when things freeze up. You might want to inquire on a SQL Server
newsgroup about what to watch for.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development